News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Confessions from the SF resident who towed 99 cars in 7 months

Started by ZLoth, January 24, 2024, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Confessions from the SF resident who towed 99 cars in 7 months
QuoteThere's something about parking in San Francisco that makes people's brains "short-circuit in a really specific way" — at least according to a person who's had plenty of experience watching people break the city's rules.

Between June 2023 and the end of the year, he had the city tow nearly 100 cars that illegally blocked his driveway.

This person, whom we'll call Casey, has documented his saga on Reddit under the moniker laserdiscmagic. (SFGATE knows his real identity and address and has independently corroborated his claims using public data, but is granting anonymity in accordance with Hearst's ethics policy because the source fears retaliation from the towed subjects.)

Casey first posted about his plight in June, searching for suggestions on preventing cars from consistently blocking his driveway. Despite the bright red curb cuts, people frequently made it impossible for him to drive in or out, meaning he'd be stuck at home or forced to search for another spot.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

The fee for getting your car released is at least $600 for a parking tow.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

I'm ok with this. For many people that don't have to experience living with it, they see it as a minor thing. When it happens daily, as the article alluded to, the homeowner had no choice.

Seeing that the problem may be the mini-legal spaces, maybe they should be turned onto prohibited parking spots to reduce the likelihood someone will park there.

ZLoth

I'm not aware of any city, county, town, or what-have-you ordinance that permits parking in front of any driveway. It's the entitlement mentality of some of these people who feel they can park anywhere they want. Plus, this is probably a residential area that pre-dates automobiles when they had horse-driven carriages.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

1995hoo

Good for the resident. Parking in an urban area is a pain, but it's part of the hassle you accept when you choose to live or work there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.