News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Driving

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 11, 2019, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Previous to joining this forum I was more involved with car clubs and forums related to the many aspects of driving a vehicle.  What I found interesting and somewhat surprising in the Highway/Road-geek world is that the act of driving or operating a vehicle doesn't seem to be a aspect that was even close to universally enjoyed.  So with thought in mind, what is everyone's take on driving?..do you enjoy or dislike it?

For me there are numerous aspects of driving that I really enjoy.  Something like a good mountain road, a good dirt/gravel highway or even something that has some historical value like driving a former Signed Highway are things I tend to enjoy quite a bit.  I also tend to enjoy vehicles that are fun to drive which isn't something that can be said to be universal. 

With that said there are several facets to driving I don't like.  Commuting is a bore simply due to the repetitive nature of going to the same place repeatedly.  While I don't prefer traffic I don't consider it to be something that would put me off on and drive if they end goal was something I wanted to do.  What I do find boring is freeway driving with few exceptions (I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge and I-70 in Utah come to mind as exceptions).  Freeways tend to be universal in nature and don't for most part offer anything engaging as a driver. 

AsphaltPlanet

I love to drive.

I am a roadgeek because of my love of driving.  It is not atypical for me to go on a four day road trip and put 6,000km on a car during those four days on the road.

When I drive, I tend not to have a set plan of where I am looking to go that day.  I tend to just bring a trusty road atlas and drive in the direction that the sky is the clearest.  My interest in this hobby is not at all clinching or anything like that, I just love the open road.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Love driving.

I find boredom while driving is due to the landscape rather than type of road.  The one trip I took that bored me noticeably was driving around on back roads in western Ohio and eastern Indiana.  Not much to look at, although I did come across a couple of neat courthouses and Sycamore Row (along with its ridiculously wrong historical marker...No, logs do not sprout trees :D) on that trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

I love driving just to see other places. For me there's also a lot of value in driving somewhere and being able to identify the name of the river/mountain/valley I just saw, understanding where it fits in the bigger geographic picture of the area. I guess that sort of ties in with some other hobbies of mine, like hiking and driving to scenic viewpoints.

In terms of commuting, I actually don't mind it at all. It's a time to relax and decompress, just me and the car radio, without anyone or anything else to worry about.

webny99

I believe we have had this kind of thread before. Anyone who is on this forum and says they don't like driving is probably a troll.  :sombrero:

Quote from: US 89 on June 11, 2019, 01:56:05 PM
For me there's also a lot of value in driving somewhere and being able to identify the name of the river/mountain/valley I just saw, understanding where it fits in the bigger geographic picture of the area.
Could not have said it better myself.

Quote from: US 89 on June 11, 2019, 01:56:05 PM
In terms of commuting, I actually don't mind it at all. It's a time to relax and decompress, just me and the car radio, without anyone or anything else to worry about.
Sometimes I find driving even more relaxing without music/radio. For myself (and I am assuming you as well) one benefit is that we don't have major traffic issues to deal with. If I was in one of the East Coast cities, I would have a much different perspective on commuting.
I much prefer commuting on the freeway. It is the back roads, especially in suburbia, that are most frustrating. The freeway may not have the best scenery, but it operates so much more smoothly and efficiently. Major commuter freeways also tend to have fast moving traffic, which can be fun. The "boredom" factor tends to lead many drivers to go faster than you might expect, thus turning boring into intense at times. I am usually more relaxed on the morning commute, while having less tolerance for left lane campers, etc. in the afternoon.

noelbotevera

My father is not one for driving, considering he's well into his middle ages. I've become accustomed to his habits, however.

For me, I'll be receiving my license (hopefully) next year. I've always been one for exploration, so I'll probably be cruising down back roads with the windows down with no objective in mind. I've never been one for clinching, but sometimes I try to clinch some roads whenever I go on trips (my upcoming Boston trip will finally allow me to clinch PA 33! I've only been between US 22 and I-78).

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2019, 03:33:53 PM
Sometimes I find driving even more relaxing without music/radio. For myself (and I am assuming you as well) one benefit is that we don't have major traffic issues to deal with. If I was in one of the East Coast cities, I would have a much different perspective on commuting.
I much prefer commuting on the freeway. It is the back roads, especially in suburbia, that are most frustrating. The freeway may not have the best scenery, but it operates so much more smoothly and efficiently. Major commuter freeways also tend to have fast moving traffic, which can be fun. The "boredom" factor tends to lead many drivers to go faster than you might expect, thus turning boring into intense at times. I am usually more relaxed on the morning commute, while having less tolerance for left lane campers, etc. in the afternoon.

How much commuting experience does someone have at age 19?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

webny99

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 11, 2019, 03:47:22 PM
How much commuting experience does someone have at age 19?

Right on two years. Not a lot, but certainly not nothing, and more than most my age.

Scott5114

I like driving, but that is because I like roads and seeing new stuff. I'm content to get my experience in the passenger seat, though; I find that when I am not having to worry about controlling the car I can appreciate smaller details, can do better photography than if I was driving, etc. The only thing that driving gets you that the passenger seat doesn't is an appreciation of subtle aspects of good geometric design, like nicely-banked curves and the like.

I am not into cars at all. The car is there to drag my butt down the road I'm trying to clinch. I don't care if I'm driving a 1978 Toyssan Sinatra JB+ sedan with a rear four-door suspection hatchback credenza or whatever. What's important is what's through the glass.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

I love driving.  It just isn't the same as a passenger.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

We have definitely had the driver / passenger discussion in the recent past.

It comes down to whether you are intuitive or observant by nature. Driving is more of an intuitive task,  while you can observe and make better use of your five senses as a passenger.
There is also the judging / prospecting and thinking / feeling dimensions. Those who like to maintain control tend to prefer driving.

Personally, I enjoy both. Sometimes I feel that my intuition runs too strong when I'm driving. I tend to be so focused on planning out my next move and maintaining consistency that I can miss important information and even start to lose track of my location. This is especially the case when traveling in a bandwagon with other drivers, something I try to avoid for that reason.
On the other hand, I take in a lot more of my current surroundings - even down to the mile marker - as a passenger. Watching traffic go by and spotting licence plates may sound boring, but I find it enjoyable. Good scenery helps, too.

ilpt4u

I am not a huge fan of monotonous Interstate driving...

For example, for a trip up to Chicago, I would rather ride Amtrak or drive a route that is not nearly as boring as I-57 between SoIL and Chicago

Driving IL 1 or US 45 or US 51 may be a bit slower, but the towns are a nice change of scenery and pace. Amtrak is nice, because I'm a passenger

That said, a road trip much longer than 6 hours, I would rather fly, assuming halfway decent airfare. Not saying I won't drive, but flying will certainly be a considered alternative

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2019, 10:02:02 PM
We have definitely had the driver / passenger discussion in the recent past.

It comes down to whether you are intuitive or observant by nature. Driving is more of an intuitive task,  while you can observe and make better use of your five senses as a passenger.
There is also the judging / prospecting and thinking / feeling dimensions. Those who like to maintain control tend to prefer driving.

Personally, I enjoy both. Sometimes I feel that my intuition runs too strong when I'm driving. I tend to be so focused on planning out my next move and maintaining consistency that I can miss important information and even start to lose track of my location. This is especially the case when traveling in a bandwagon with other drivers, something I try to avoid for that reason.
On the other hand, I take in a lot more of my current surroundings - even down to the mile marker - as a passenger. Watching traffic go by and spotting licence plates may sound boring, but I find it enjoyable. Good scenery helps, too.

For me it's more the simple fact that the mental overhead of driving means I cannot devote time to examining comparatively minute things such as the precise layout of legend on a sign, whether it is at right angles to the road surface or tilted down slightly, etc. as clearly as when I am a passenger. For safety's sake I have to focus on traffic instead, so I miss part of the experience.

Another thing that I didn't realize until just now–I am the one driving so frequently that it's nice to be a passenger again sometimes, because it takes me back to the time before I had a license where I always was the driver. Back to old family road trips where I was just along for the ride and first noticed the little things like that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I've always enjoyed driving (well, since I was old enough to drive, of course). While sometimes being a passenger and getting to look around is nice, for me that depends on who's doing the driving. I'm not a great passenger when my wife drives because I feel she's erratic and it drives me nuts that she doesn't use her signals and things like that (and then complains when the lane-keeping assist pushes back).

I agree with the comment about the Interstate sometimes getting boring, but for me that's mostly when I'm going the same way I've gone many times. I always like to drive on a new route I haven't used before. But of course we all know there are often times, especially near home, where you're not going to find any good new route so until you've driven for a while.

I commute via mass transit mainly because of parking (I'd have to park a block or two from work anyway, ultimately the same distance away as the subway stop), cost, and traffic. The latter is especially problematic with Memorial Bridge under construction. My blood pressure is definitely lower since I stopped driving into DC every day.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Driving starting at age 16 is what got me interested in roads and highways, actually using the roads for their intended purpose.

I do enjoy driving to a point.  I like long trips but normally there needs to be at least one other need for the trip than just seeing roads.  Driving 50 to 100 miles to see roads is not what I would consider a long trip.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Henry

I've been driving since age 15, and I'm still enjoying every minute of it!

I can say this: Once you've had your license, then being a passenger just isn't as fun as it used to be when you were a kid.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

My older siblings would tell you I had my nose buried in map books long before I got my Driver's Permit @ 15...Grandma's house had a early-mid 90s National Rand McNally map book (yes I found it odd that I-95 was "broken"  in NJ as a young one), and Mom had the Rand McNally 6 County Chicagoland street level map book, and I wore the cover off both

It's fascinating, seeing what goes where, how far, how much variety in routes, planning a secondary or tertiary route option, etc.

Of course, that knowledge is nice to have, but with Google Maps and GPSs now, readily accessible maps are at everyone's fingertips

I wouldn't say I do not enjoy driving...but driving needs to make sense. I'm not setting off on a road trip to the Pacific NW just because I can...and also when I travel that way, I'd rather spend more time at/around the destination than in transit. I threw out 6 hours before, but probably 6-8 hours (each way) is about as much of a road trip as I want to tackle to reach a destination

ClassicHasClass

I'll drive instead of fly, anytime. My work lets me drive all around the state.

In_Correct

I like driving. I can't say I love driving. Other people keep me from loving. Also I worry about cars wearing out if I drive too much.

I like to drive slowly be cause it is good for cars. I sometimes drive very fast be cause that is also good for cars. If I slightly over inflate my tires which means I am very alert and have to slow down prematurely. I also keep the P.S.I. levels the same in each tire. I also have emergency supplies ... Clothes, Pillows, Blankets, First Aid, Tools, Towels, and Food. I guess I have silly family cars. ... Sport Wagons and Mini Vans ... and also "Foreign" ones. I do not have a large, loud truck, race car, or even a sports car, or even a "Luxury" car ... in other words one with the tiny tires stretched around the over sized rims. Instead I have sensible cars and I drive sensibly. Neither makes me popular.

Other cars I prefer is Motor Home.  :coffee: And other similar sized cars. My favourite engine is Diesel-Electric.

I prefer roads to have passing lanes. I usually do not want to pass other cars. I also hate rail road crossings. I must have the bridges or the tunnels. Interstate Highways are best. Especially if they have Frontage Roads. I really prefer that the medians are very wide and have trees in them. As for Toll Roads I prefer them also, but I am still nervous. Toll Roads feels like I am driving through some body's house.

When ever I find a Rest Area or a Travel Center, I will not be slow but I will take my time if that makes sense. I like to enjoy the scenery. And some times I film it. If there is a Train nearby I will film it. If there is a Wind Mill nearby I will film it.

Also ... I like to pick up cans.

I hate listening to music while driving and hate it even worse when riding. If I listen to music, the volume is turned down.

I also commute and travel by Bus and Train. And Boat.

But not Flying.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

kphoger

I'm OK with driving but I wouldn't say I like it.  I would like it more if I had a car with a stickshift, but that's about it.  I'd much rather take the train somewhere, but almost never feasible where I live.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

I enjoy driving if I'm seeing different scenery. Living in Michigan it's hard to get that because my part of the state and a lot of Michigan is boring farm land, I like the forests though but the drives through farm land become very boring very quick. That's how the thumb part of Michigan is especially in Huron County.

Sometimes I get tired of driving but I'm always up for a road trip. I love maps and studying maps it's how I became roadgeek. I love big cities and then love small towns too. I'll always drive through a small town on a business route just to get off the main highway for a minute.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 13, 2019, 08:30:49 PM
I like the forests though but the drives through farm land become very boring very quick.

I find forests more boring than farmland.  Tree after tree after tree after tree...  At least with farmland, I can see different crops and barns and livestock and stuff.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

In_Correct

Quote from: kphoger on June 14, 2019, 03:18:58 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 13, 2019, 08:30:49 PM
I like the forests though but the drives through farm land become very boring very quick.

I find forests more boring than farmland.  Tree after tree after tree after tree...  At least with farmland, I can see different crops and barns and livestock and stuff.

Forests are not boring, but I do not like to drive near them at night.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: In_Correct on June 14, 2019, 08:44:12 PM

Gotta watch out for sasquatch.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 14, 2019, 10:08:22 PM
Quote from: In_Correct on June 14, 2019, 08:44:12 PM

Gotta watch out for sasquatch.

More like deer and coyote, lots of road meat comes out at night in the woods.  The desert is also surprisingly animal filled at night. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.