News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

If any child is in danger, would you save them?

Started by tolbs17, July 05, 2021, 07:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you offer a stranger money if they rescue your child?

Yes
6 (66.7%)
No
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

tolbs17

In 2010, I was drowning and a stranger pulled me out of the water at the beach. I was rescued! And I don't think we offered the stranger any money, but we gave them a big "THANK YOU!".

For my question, I think I will offer them money.

Max Rockatansky

Depends, is this an evil child like out of The Omen?  If so, then no.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 05, 2021, 08:02:07 PM
No... Just any child

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 05, 2021, 08:03:29 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 05, 2021, 08:02:07 PM
No... Just any child

I don't know, a lot of conventional children are hard to distinguish from Damien by how they act. 

Rothman

Makes me think of the vine: "What's worse than a rapist?"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on July 05, 2021, 09:29:11 PM
Makes me think of the vine: "What's worse than a rapist?"
After that comes therapist.

Max Rockatansky

Responding non-sarcastically I can say that when the circumstances have arose in the past where I was in position to intervene and prevent a person (of any age) from being harmed I have done so. 

Scott5114

I'm not sure that I would personally intervene in any situation where I wasn't confident I could do so without making things worse. Saving a drowning person, for example, can be pretty dangerous since a drowning person is often acting on instinct and, if you are not a strong swimmer and/or trained on how a drowning person's likely to instinctively react, might pull you down with them. Likewise, I don't feel like I have anywhere near the amount of training I should have to render competent first aid.

I would have course do whatever I could in order to summon someone who is in a position to help, like notifying a lifeguard, calling a paramedic, etc.

As for the question in the poll, I cannot answer because I do not and will never have a child of my own.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

In_Correct

QuoteIf my child needed rescued:

I might try to reward them so I voted Yes.

QuoteAnother Child:

I am obligated to since I am C.P.R. Certified.

QuoteDemon Children:

It is possible for children to change their ways the moment they encounter Near Death Experiences. There were two students. The driver was mostly unharmed* while the passenger ... eventually ... physically ... recovered. He was a demonic monster before the wreck. After, he was mostly quiet and barely even smiled. No matter how long it had been since the wreck he was not him self ever again.

* = Unfortunately, the reckless driver wrecked again a few years after, and died.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

zachary_amaryllis

this is one of those 'act first, question later'.

i work on streetcorners, at some rather busy intersections. i listen to loud music while i work, so situational awareness is paramount. i'm always facing whatever direction the traffic is coming from at that moment depending on the light phase.

one afternoon, a kid started to step off the curb to cross the busier of the two streets. he had earbuds in, and couldn't hear. he had the walk light, but didn't see the vehicle that had no intention of stopping. i yanked him back by his shirt collar so he didn't get pasted by said vehicle. he was initially sort of 'wtf dude?' until the truck whizzed by at 50 mph. then it was 'wow... thanks, dude!'

but i'd also do that for anyone, young or old.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 06, 2021, 07:47:50 AM
i listen to loud music while i work, so situational awareness is paramount.

I need to add this to the favorite quote thread.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

If I could I would but don't feel confident helping in many situations. As for the poll question, yes probably but nobody should only save a child in hopes of getting money.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

PastTense

Adult male, pulling a child into a car--while the child is resisting and crying:

Is this a kidnapping in progress?

Or a parent disciplining his child?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: PastTense on July 07, 2021, 01:09:11 PM
Adult male, pulling a child into a car--while the child is resisting and crying:

Is this a kidnapping in progress?

Or a parent disciplining his child?
https://www.healthyway.com/content/they-dont-look-obvious-what-everyone-should-know-about-child-abductions/

This might help I dunno
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 07, 2021, 01:00:54 PM
If I could I would but don't feel confident helping in many situations. As for the poll question, yes probably but nobody should only save a child in hopes of getting money.

i have no expectations. if i'm gonna occupy a street corner, i'm gonna be helpful when i can. i will push the button when i see pedestrians approaching, push stalled cars into the gas station (this happens quite often, actually) and other things like that.. its just being a hooman.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

My wife and I have three sons, and I have/had a daughter from a previous relationship as well.  As a parent of three/four, I don't think it would even cross my mind to offer someone money for saving my child.  Cash would be the furthest thing from my mind in such a situation.  In fact, I think doing so would–ironically–cheapen the heroic act.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.