News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DFW, web site for proposed Blacklands Turnpike

Started by MaxConcrete, October 28, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJStephens

Controlled access super highways are often the main gateways into a city and add to a visitor's visual impression of the city. If the road's prominent features are designed in a clunky, function-only manner reminiscent of the 1970's the road will do more to detract rather than be a positive addition to the city's environment. An ugly, clunky looking interchange will stay ugly looking for decades. It's not something that could disappear in just a few years, like some flea bag business' home made sign with lettering made out of electrical tape.

Pretty much describes El Paso's first "spaghetti bowl" or the the I-10 / US 54 interchange.  Built in roughly 1970-71, it was jammed between two existing interchanges,and squeezed into the existing ROW without any additional acquisition.  Was given a "do over" recently, with it being painted and some architectural frills added to it.   There are additional frills being added currently, which include rock facings, and some message boards.   There are serious design deficiencies which exist in the area, which include lack of a fourth through lane in each direction, and shifting of the main lanes to accommodate an antiquated bridge structure, Raynolds Blvd, an original four span bridge over the interstate, circa mid sixties.   

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

MaxConcrete

That was quick. The project appears to be dead. The regional planning authority (NCTCOG) withdrew its recommendation to include the project in the regional plan.

I think what killed the project was the near unanimous opposition from cities along the route. In all the controversies along the Bush Turnpike, most of  the cities along the route were strong supporters of the project, including Grand Prairie where the longest litigation occurred. Even Carrollton and Rowlett eventually supported the Bush Tunrpike. But when political opposition is unanimous or near-unanimous, the project just isn't going to happen.

I think part of the project could come back to like - the west end which would connect to the Bush Turnpike and go over or around Lake Hubbard. But any resurrection is unlikely and would not extend much east of the lake.

http://transportationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/regional-planners-drop-recommendation-for-greenville-toll-road.html/
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2014/10/17/tolled-highway-to-greenville-could-be-dead-after.html

Regional planners drop recommendation for Greenville toll road
By Brandon Formby
bformby@dallasnews.com
3:27 pm on October 17, 2014 | Permalink

The North Central Texas Council of Governments is reversing its recommendation to add a controversial rural toll road to the region's long-term transportation plan. Officials weren't immediately available for comment Friday afternoon, but the move could halt the project. Projects typically have to be in that plan in order to move forward.

NCTCOG transportation director Michael Morris previously said that his agency was rethinking the recommendation it made last month after more than 1,200 residents showed up to a meeting in Rockwall to oppose the toll road from Garland to Greenville. While the recommendation preceded that raucous meeting, it followed other meetings where residents vocally opposed the road.

Since NCTCOG's recommendation, several cities along or near possible routes for the Northeast Gateway have formally opposed the project. Those cities include Fate, Josephine, Lavon, Rockwall, Rowlett, Sachse and Wylie.

The 28-mile road is being developed by private company Texas Turnpike Corp., which has the ability to use eminent domain. It was unclear Friday afternoon how the company plans to proceed. Company officials have said that the Texas Department of Transportation has final approval of their plans. Company officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday afternoon.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

dfwmapper

I can't see the west end surviving on its own. Not enough traffic volume if it doesn't serve as a reliever to I-30.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: dfwmapper on October 17, 2014, 07:48:13 PM
I can't see the west end surviving on its own. Not enough traffic volume if it doesn't serve as a reliever to I-30.

In my opinion, the main source of traffic for the proposed turnpike would be generated by new development (i.e. housing) on the rural land east of Lavon. Many (maybe most) of the people living in those communities would be going jobs in Garland, Richardson and Plano. The western end of this proposed toll road would serve that traffic.

The source of traffic would not be people coming from Greenville looking to bypass I-30.

So this tollway would have its own source of traffic, mainly commuter traffic. And the area east of Lavon is probably going to urbanize with or without the toll road. So that's why I can see the western end potentially being financially feasible, or justifiable from the traffic-count perspective. But as I noted, it is unlikely to be politically feasible.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

dfwmapper

Something would have to pay the bills for the road until the development filled in. If it was NTTA building it and they could use their other roads to bootstrap it and pay down the debt, that would be one thing, but building a toll road in the hopes that it will attract development without having any other guarantees is a good way to end up in default before it ever has the chance to happen.

Greybear

The Northeast Gateway aka Blacklands Toll Road is pretty much dead in the water, as of Friday afternoon, according to the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG).

According to a story posted on the website of the Greenville Herald Banner, NCTCOG has decided against recommending the addition of a toll road between Greenville and Garland.

The agency issued a press release Friday afternoon, indicating planners do not intend to include the Northeast Gateway project, which had previously been identified as the Blacklands Corridor, as part of the future transportation plans for the region.

The story can be read in its entirety at: http://www.heraldbanner.com/news/article_3cf898e2-564f-11e4-97b0-138ff8627f43.html

txstateends

A TX state senator is filing a bill to try to take away the Texas Turnpike Corp.'s (the firm behind the proposed Blacklands Turnpike / Northeast Gateway) eminent domain powers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2015/01/22/bill-would-strip-dallas-toll-road-builder-of-its.html
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wxfree

The bill would not only remove eminent domain power from the one company that has it, it would nearly prohibit private toll roads.

Transportation Code Section 362.102 currently reads
COMMISSION APPROVAL OF PRIVATE TURNPIKE OR TOLL PROJECT REQUIRED.  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a private entity may not construct a privately owned turnpike or toll project that connects to a road, bridge, or highway in the state highway system unless the commission approves the private turnpike or toll project as provided by this subchapter.

This bill would change that to
PRIVATE TURNPIKE OR TOLL PROJECT PROHIBITED.  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a private entity may not construct a privately owned turnpike or toll project that connects to a road, bridge, or highway in the state highway system.

This seems to leave open the possibility of a private toll road built without eminent domain that does not connect to the state highway system.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.