AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-66 HO/T Lanes  (Read 163776 times)

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
I-66 HO/T Lanes
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »

To separate what's likely to be another lengthy discussion, I chose to start a new thread about the recently-announced (really announced back in July by the Governor) plan to add HO/T lanes on I-66 outside the Beltway and convert I-66 inside the Beltway to HO/T lanes during peak hours.

VDOT has created a website for the Outside the Beltway project and has preliminary design options posted that will be presented at public meetings next week.  The plan is to expand 66 as needed/applicable so that there are 3 general through lanes plus 2 HO/T lanes in each direction.  There is an option that would keep space reserved in the median west of Vienna for future transit (the most popular option being an extension of the Metro Orange Line).  Several interchanges would be reconstructed.

A (lengthy) summary from west to east.  If I don't mention a specific interchange, the plan is to retain the interchange's existing configuration:

- The HO/T lanes begin just east of the Antioch Rd overpass (about 3/4mi west of US 15).  There are two options for HO/T lane access at US 15:  one would build a full HO/T-only interchange about 1/3mi west of US 15, connecting to VA 55 and Heathcote Blvd.  The second option would build a set of flyovers between the HO/T lanes and the mainline between Jefferson St and Catharpin Rd, with auxiliary lanes between the flyover ramps and the planned DDI at US 15.

- There would be no direct access between US 29 and the HO/T lanes.  Instead, HO/T access would be provided via a WB off-ramp/EB on-ramp at the University Blvd overpass.

- There is no direct access between 234 South and the HO/T lanes.  There's an option to build HO/T access connecting to Cushing Rd in the southeastern quadrant, but this would impact the Manassas Battlefield Park.

- A park-and-ride is proposed off Balls Ford Rd west of BUSINESS 234, with access to the HO/T lanes to/from the east.  The HO/T lane access would also connect to Balls Ford Rd.

- The rest areas east of 234 would be reconstructed with expanded truck parking.

- An eastbound auxiliary lane would be added between 29 and 28 in Centerville.

- The VA 28 interchange would see some major changes, all of which would eliminate the three signals along 28.  Common elements among the two options:

- Direct HO/T lane connections from both directions of 66 to/from the north
     - A 2-lane flyover ramp from SB 28 to EB 66
     - A 2-lane ramp from WB 66 to NB 28
     - Widening the loop ramp from EB 66 to NB 28 to 2 lanes
     - Bridging Braddock Rd/Walney Rd over 28 with a half-interchange to/from the south (with left-side exit/entrance)
     - Direct ramps between Braddock Rd and 66 East (EB on-ramp/WB off-ramp)

- The main differences between the two options at VA 28 are ramp locations/geometry and how to handle HO/T connections between 28 South and 66 East.  One option provides direct ramps while the other would be indirect, using flyovers between the HO/T lanes and the mainline east of 28.

- One or two auxiliary lanes each direction would be added between VA 28 and Fairfax County Pkwy, depending on the option chosen.

- There's an option for an eastbound HO/T lane exit to the Fairfax County Pkwy C/D ramp, otherwise there is no direct access between the HO/T lanes and the Fairfax County Pkwy.  Instead, the existing HOV ramps at Stringfellow Rd would be perpetuated (no-median option) or relocated (median-space option).

- The existing half-interchange at Monument Dr would be converted into a full HO/T lane only interchange.

- One auxiliary lane in each direction would be added between Fairfax County Pkwy and US 50/Fair Oaks.

- The US 50/Fair Oaks interchange would generally retain its existing configuration with one exception:  the existing loop ramp from WB 50 to WB 66 would be replaced by a left-side flyover.  There is also an option for direct HO/T lane access between 50 West and 66 East.

- One auxiliary lane in each direction would be added between US 50/Fair Oaks and VA 123.  The eastbound auxiliary lane would be extended through the 123 interchange.

- At the 123 interchange, the existing loop from EB 66 to NB 123 would be replaced by a flyover.  This would eliminate the need for a C/D road.  Also the ramps from 66 to SB 123 would meet SB 123 at a traffic signal about 1200ft north of the existing ramp merge.  I presume this is to provide more room between the ramp and the intersection at Eaton Pl.  There is also an option for direct HO/T access between 123 and 66 East.  This access point would meet 123 at the same location as the ramp signal I just mentioned.

- One auxiliary lane in each direction would be added between VA 123 and VA 243/Nutley St.  The eastbound auxiliary lane would be a continuation of one beginning at US 50/Fair Oaks (mentioned above).

- There are two very different options for VA 243/Nutley St and Vienna Metro access:
     - Option 1 replaces the Nutley St interchange with a DDI.  Direct HO/T lane access would be provided to/from the west at the Vaden Dr overpass.  The loop ramp from Vaden Dr/Saintsbury Dr to EB 66 would be removed, as well as the EB C/D road.  The WB C/D road would be perpetuated.
     - Option 2 reconstructs the Nutley St interchange to include flyover ramps from NB 243 to WB 66 and SB 243 to EB 66.  The EB 66 to NB 243 loop is removed, so there would be a single EB off-ramp meeting 243 at a signal.  A bus-only ramp would be constructed between the HO/T lanes to/from the west and Vaden Dr.  The existing loop ramp from Vaden Dr/Saintsbury Dr to EB 66 and the EB C/D road would both be retained.

- One auxiliary lane in each direction is added between VA 243/Nutley St and the Beltway.

- There are two options at the Beltway, with the main difference being how many HO/T lane access options there are.  Both options replace the existing Inner Loop mainline to WB 66 loop with a 2-lane flyover and provide direct connections between the Beltway HO/T lanes and the 66 West HO/T lanes.  One option provides full access between the mainlines and the HO/T lanes with a complex conglomeration of ramps.  The second option does not provide access from the EB HO/T lane to NB 495 mainline or from the SB 495 mainline to the WB HO/T.  Also with the second option, EB 66 mainline access to the Beltway HO/T lanes is provided by a flyover ramp from the mainline to the EB HO/T lanes west of Dunn Loring.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
Re: I-66 HO/T Lanes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »

Do they have diagrams of the various options on that site? I'm having trouble getting parts of it to load and will try another browser if indeed they do have maps. I'd love to see what they have in mind for the Beltway interchange.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:42:48 PM »

Must resist temptation to make I-366 joke...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »

Do they have diagrams of the various options on that site?

Yes...click on the link to the public meetings next week, then click on Public Presentations.  Be forewarned that there are 65 alternatives maps posted, as they're broken down by section in fairly decent detail.

1995hoo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »

Do they have diagrams of the various options on that site?

Yes...click on the link to the public meetings next week, then click on Public Presentations.  Be forewarned that there are 65 alternatives maps posted, as they're broken down by section in fairly decent detail.

Thanks. That was indeed one of the parts of the site that gave me some trouble. I'm sure it was some issue on my end. PC seemed to be slow yesterday afternoon. I'll use an alternate browser or perhaps my iPad.

Edited to add: Loading just fine on the iPad. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:12:24 AM by 1995hoo »

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »

Must resist temptation to make I-366 joke...

Suggest it should be I-666.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:29 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »

Suggest it should be I-666.

That would've been a good number for the Capital Beltway, to warn the unwary of what lies within.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »

Upcoming public meetings this week in Vienna, Centreville, Haymarket, and Fairfax.  WTOP has the specifics, but there's an error in the story:  VDOT is looking at two general alternatives, not three as WTOP reported, and only one of those two provides median space for future transit.

1995hoo

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »

Looking at the diagram for Alternative 2B at the Beltway, I can't help but laugh ruefully at the ramp proposed to lead from the Inner Loop HO/T lanes to the westbound I-66 mainline. It looks very similar to the configuration of the old pre-HO/T left-side exit from the Inner Loop to I-66 as it was reconfigured back in the early 1990s when the left HOV lane was designated and VDOT didn't want general-purpose traffic entering via the HOV lane. That portion of the ramp was, of course, demolished in 2012, so in effect this proposal would restore a modified version of the same ramp. Damn.

The flyover for general-purpose traffic from the Inner Loop to westbound I-66 looks like it would be one heck of a ramp. It seems like, given the more confined space involved, it would likely have a steeper grade than the flyovers in Springfield. I hope VDOT would learn from the ramp-freezing incidents experienced several times in Springfield and would consider some sort of system to prevent that sort of problem here.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »

Looking at the diagram for Alternative 2B at the Beltway, I can't help but laugh ruefully at the ramp proposed to lead from the Inner Loop HO/T lanes to the westbound I-66 mainline. It looks very similar to the configuration of the old pre-HO/T left-side exit from the Inner Loop to I-66 as it was reconfigured back in the early 1990s when the left HOV lane was designated and VDOT didn't want general-purpose traffic entering via the HOV lane. That portion of the ramp was, of course, demolished in 2012, so in effect this proposal would restore a modified version of the same ramp. Damn.

The flyover for general-purpose traffic from the Inner Loop to westbound I-66 looks like it would be one heck of a ramp. It seems like, given the more confined space involved, it would likely have a steeper grade than the flyovers in Springfield. I hope VDOT would learn from the ramp-freezing incidents experienced several times in Springfield and would consider some sort of system to prevent that sort of problem here.

I have driven that old ramp enough to have seen an assortment of disasters, mishaps and breakdowns, though it seemed almost invariably involving heavy commercial vehicles (often dump trucks and refuse packer trucks - at least one HAZMAT tank tractor-trailer combination) which would presumably be banned from using that ramp, as they always have been from the I-495 Express Lanes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »

I have driven that old ramp enough to have seen an assortment of disasters, mishaps and breakdowns, though it seemed almost invariably involving heavy commercial vehicles (often dump trucks and refuse packer trucks - at least one HAZMAT tank tractor-trailer combination) which would presumably be banned from using that ramp, as they always have been from the I-495 Express Lanes.

Yeah, I always disliked the way there was a sort of "kink" to it about halfway around the curve–you were going left at a reasonably quick pace and suddenly the ramp curved to the right without the assistance of banking or anything similar.

The worst incident I remember there was one I encountered late on a hot afternoon in July 2008 as we were nearing the end of the drive home from Nova Scotia. We got stuck in traffic on the Outer Loop at that interchange and were suddenly subjected to the overpowering stench of massive quantities of skunked beer. Turned out a Budweiser truck had overturned on that left-side ramp and spilled its load down the side of the embankment and all over the Beltway; many of the beer cans, of course, burst open on impact.

1995hoo

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »

Just in case anyone was planning to attend (I was not), tonight's I-66 public meeting has been POSTPONED due to the weather forecast. It's been rescheduled for February 3 (next Tuesday)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:23:31 PM by 1995hoo »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »

Yeah, I always disliked the way there was a sort of "kink" to it about halfway around the curve–you were going left at a reasonably quick pace and suddenly the ramp curved to the right without the assistance of banking or anything similar.

The worst incident I remember there was one I encountered late on a hot afternoon in July 2008 as we were nearing the end of the drive home from Nova Scotia. We got stuck in traffic on the Outer Loop at that interchange and were suddenly subjected to the overpowering stench of massive quantities of skunked beer. Turned out a Budweiser truck had overturned on that left-side ramp and spilled its load down the side of the embankment and all over the Beltway; many of the beer cans, of course, burst open on impact.

I remember that incident.  As with many of the others, it caused a huge mess in literal terms, and in traffic terms as well. 

cpzilliacus

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »

Dr. Gridlock in the Washington Post: Commuters wonder what it would take to fix I-66

Dear Dr. Gridlock:

One big solution that could occur right now would be to ban hybrid low-emissions vehicles that do not meet HOV occupancy requirements.

I know several people who have purchased those cars just to use HOV lanes, which completely defeats any attempt to reduce congestion problems.

HOV lanes were invented to increase vehicle occupancy and reduce numbers of vehicles on the road. Single-person vehicles do not meet that goal, and when I am lucky enough to have two people and may use I-66 inside the Capital Beltway, I see a surprising number of single-occupancy vehicles.

I use I-66 every day between the Beltway and Route 123. That includes use outside of commuting hours. The Red-X lanes between the Beltway and Nutley, as well as between Route 123 and Route 50, should be eliminated. Those shoulder lanes should be open 24/7.

If the state is really going to do something about congestion between the Beltway and Route 50, especially if a lane will be added, it should consider “through”  lanes and “local”  lanes similar to those on the Beltway near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and on I-270 in Montgomery County.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »

Falls Church News-Press: F.C. Council Wary of I-66 Toll Road Plan

Plans by the Virginia Department of Transportation to turn I-66 into a toll road met with considerable skepticism from members of the Falls Church City Council at its work session Monday night, with concerns for the impact on City roads from persons avoiding the tolls in deference to I-66 users whose destinations are not in this area, but Points West of the City.

Representatives from VDOT and the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation presented a summary of its report, “I-66 Multimodal Improvements Inside the Beltway,”  to the Council, and despite the City staff recommendation of “concurrance from Council on key items”  in the report, Council member Marybeth Connelly asked the key question from the Falls Church perspective, “What’s the purpose of this?”  and Mayor David Tarter added, “We don’t want people to blow through Falls Church.”  Vice Mayor David Snyder, the City’s representative on numerous regional bodies, said, “There are many negative consequences for closer-in communities like Falls Church. There is only one solution to road congestion, which it to have a truly effective Metro system and bus route expansion.”

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 04:27:46 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »

VDOT announces plans for I-66 improvements/transformations inside the beltway:

News release - http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern_virginia/2015/plans_to_transform_i-6680782.asp

3/12/15 presentation for Inside the beltway - http://inside.transform66.org/documents/i66_inside_multimodal_briefing_elected_official_-_media_kick_off_final_3_12_2015.pdf

Website for all of I-66 improvements out to Haymarket - http://www.transform66.org/splash.html

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »

Fairfax Times: Residents push for alternatives to I-66 widening = Carpooling, transit upgrades proposed as options

Dozens of Providence District residents are asking Virginia transportation officials to hold off on widening Interstate 66 until they make additional attempts to reduce congestion by improving transit options and encouraging more carpooling.

Residents of Vienna and Dunn Loring, some of whom could lose their homes to the widening project, said they don’t see how widening the highway will benefit them. Speaking at a community meeting Wednesday, they said the project will only encourage more people to move to Gainesville or farther west, making traffic worse.

“You’re going to take these people’s homes, you’re going to ruin neighborhoods and people will still be sitting in their cars,”  said Denise Rodgers, a Dunn Loring Village resident.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »

Dr. Gridlock in the Washington Post:  A veteran commuter puzzles over Virginia’s I-66 plan

For me, this summer would mark 50 years of commuting on Washington highways, had I not retired a year ago. I’m so happy to hear that by 2040, at the time I would have 75 years of this joyful experience, the powers that be might widen Interstate 66 somewhat inside the Capital Beltway.

I have always had a special place in my heart for the NIMBYs of Arlington County who have – from Day One – messed up the design of I-66. One thing that happens with half a century of driving experience is getting the opportunity to drive in other major cities in the United States and other countries as well.

I can’t easily think of any major city where a main highway inbound constricts like I-66 does inside the Beltway. Contrast it even to Interstate 395 (Shirley Highway to us old guys), which is a joy by comparison and much improved since I commuted to summer jobs when LBJ was president. Maybe this will improve by 2040. One can hope.

Don Lewy, Fairfax Station

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

Fairfax Times: Residents push for alternatives to I-66 widening = Carpooling, transit upgrades proposed as options

Dozens of Providence District residents are asking Virginia transportation officials to hold off on widening Interstate 66 until they make additional attempts to reduce congestion by improving transit options and encouraging more carpooling.

Residents of Vienna and Dunn Loring, some of whom could lose their homes to the widening project, said they don’t see how widening the highway will benefit them. Speaking at a community meeting Wednesday, they said the project will only encourage more people to move to Gainesville or farther west, making traffic worse.

“You’re going to take these people’s homes, you’re going to ruin neighborhoods and people will still be sitting in their cars,” said Denise Rodgers, a Dunn Loring Village resident.

I would humor them with a plan for a 4 track Metro and/or VA commuter line in the median that requires the taking of even more homes.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »

And better mass transit also will allow people to move further west, adding to the sprawl and still adding traffic to the existing, non-widened roadway.

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »

For the best in DC suburban living, your new dream home awaits............in Moorefield WV

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »

Sprawl is an assclown.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 06:10:34 AM »

For the best in DC suburban living, your new dream home awaits............in Moorefield WV

Sadly, this isn't much of a joke!  The Poconos in PA are a bedroom community for NYC employees, and LA has its share of 2+ hour commutes!

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 10:01:55 AM »

I don't know how some people deal with long commutes.  I like my 15-20 minute commute just fine.  It's long enough that the car actually warms up and I can enjoy the FLY Morning Rush, but isn't long enough to make me feel like I'm slaving my life away.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

I don't know how some people deal with long commutes.  I like my 15-20 minute commute just fine.  It's long enough that the car actually warms up and I can enjoy the FLY Morning Rush, but isn't long enough to make me feel like I'm slaving my life away.

I'm sure some of it depends on where you grew up. When I worked downtown, some of the 20-something year-old kids in our office thought I had a really long commute. I live about a mile outside the Beltway as the crow flies (closer to two miles driving) and it was about 12 to 15 miles to the office, usually took between half an hour and 45 minutes at rush hour. They thought that seemed like a really long way. Thing is, I grew up in Northern Virginia about 2.5 miles west of the Beltway and my father worked downtown, so to me that commute always seemed like the normal distance.

Setting that aside, though, one thing that is a MAJOR factor in where people in the DC area live is often the schools. I don't have kids so this isn't an issue for me, but it is very common for parents with kids to decide where to live based on which schools that neighborhood's kids attend, even if that means giving themselves a much longer commute. My parents still live in the house they moved to when I was 10 years old, and one reason they picked that house was to ensure my brother and I went to a particular junior high and high school (and, equally important, to ensure we would NOT go to the ones where we would have gone had we not moved!). This sort of thing is an extremely important issue to a lot of people and it factors into property values (due to certain school districts being in demand), but it's something that tends to be overlooked in a lot of the discussions about traffic management and the like. I'm certainly not going to criticize any parent for prioritizing his kids' education. I'm sure some people would probably say "it's not right" that some schools are better than others. While they have a valid point in theory, it's simply a fact of life that some schools are better (whether because of better teachers, better students, whatever.....the high school I would have attended had we not moved when I was 10 years old had a problem with ethnic gang violence) and people will make an effort to send their kids to those schools.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.