News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

stop/yield sign and traffic light on the same post

Started by agentsteel53, June 11, 2012, 03:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

what does this mean?  I saw this a lot in Italy, and here is a German example.  My guess was "obey sign when traffic light is entirely unlit".  correct?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 11, 2012, 03:16:38 PM
what does this mean?  I saw this a lot in Italy, and here is a German example.  My guess was "obey sign when traffic light is entirely unlit".  correct?

That's what I always heard. The traffic signals in Germany are typically turned off at night in situations where we in the States would use flash mode.

Chris

Yep. In the Netherlands the traffic lights would flash orange, and the signs and road markings (shark's teeth) then indicate the priority situation. It's basically a back-up if the traffic lights are out of order.

Brandon

Interesting.  And to contrast, a yield sign with a traffic signal in Indiana and Ohio means that the right turn can yield on red without stopping.  Granted, the right turn is channelized, but it is at a signal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: rawmustard on June 11, 2012, 03:27:40 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 11, 2012, 03:16:38 PM

That's what I always heard. The traffic signals in Germany are typically turned off at night in situations where we in the States would use flash mode.

Many urban areas in Finland will set the signal to flash amber in all four directions late at night, and then the "yield to the vehicle on the right" rule will apply.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mgk920

Yepper - 'Signs govern when signals are dark'.  Also, for the 'priority' streets at those intersections, there is a sign that does not exist in North America that means 'you have priority', it is a mid-sized yellow square with a white border and is mounted diamond-style.

I often wish that this all existed in North America as it seems to me that more and more these days modern-day drivers here are completely clueless as to how to handle a stop-and-go light that is completely dark (power failure, etc).

Mike

agentsteel53

Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2012, 10:02:30 PM
I often wish that this all existed in North America as it seems to me that more and more these days modern-day drivers here are completely clueless as to how to handle a stop-and-go light that is completely dark (power failure, etc).

I was only guessing at the meaning when I was in Italy; I thought to myself "okay, everyone else is going through the green light with stop sign ... that implies either green light supersedes, or they're Italian drivers!"

in the US - no matter how well you may know the less rarely invoked laws of your state, you're bound to run into someone who doesn't.  I treat a failed light as a four-way stop, but not many do.  so it usually ends up a "stop and yield to other traffic" for me.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2012, 10:02:30 PM
Yepper - 'Signs govern when signals are dark'.  Also, for the 'priority' streets at those intersections, there is a sign that does not exist in North America that means 'you have priority', it is a mid-sized yellow square with a white border and is mounted diamond-style.

That is an excellent sign, and one that I wish were implemented in the MUTCD, but probably never will be.   

From the Swedish Transport Board's site are these.

Sign informing drives that they are on a "main" or "priority" road (huvudled in Swedish).

End of huvudled:

I also like the "entering urbanized area" sign:

And "leaving urbanized area:"

Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2012, 10:02:30 PMI often wish that this all existed in North America as it seems to me that more and more these days modern-day drivers here are completely clueless as to how to handle a stop-and-go light that is completely dark (power failure, etc).

Mike

For far too many drivers in various parts of the U.S., a dark signal means "go" and "screw the other drivers needing to cross this intersection."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 12, 2012, 12:32:34 PM
Sign informing drives that they are on a "main" or "priority" road (huvudled in Swedish).

the concept of a "priority road" is, I believe, completely foreign to North American drivers.  we instead use an explicit set of traffic control devices at all intersections.  a changeover would be quite jarring.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 11, 2012, 10:54:38 PM

in the US - no matter how well you may know the less rarely invoked laws of your state, you're bound to run into someone who doesn't.  I treat a failed light as a four-way stop, but not many do.  so it usually ends up a "stop and yield to other traffic" for me.
For better or worse, in NJ, a broken light becomes "if you know the area, you know which street is supposed to be the minor one, and the major one keeps going. if you don't know the area, look stupid until someone honks"

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 12, 2012, 02:32:00 PM
the concept of a "priority road" is, I believe, completely foreign to North American drivers.  we instead use an explicit set of traffic control devices at all intersections.  a changeover would be quite jarring.

We have a great concept of priority road. It's defined as "whatever road I'm currently driving on"!

Whenever we have hurricanes here and the power goes out for extended periods of time, the media is very vocal about treating broken lights as 4-way stops and most people comply. The problem is that, people being dumb and incapable of thinking for themselves, they'll also stop at lights in flashing yellow mode because they think it's "broken".

xcellntbuy

Quote from: realjd on June 14, 2012, 11:39:06 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 12, 2012, 02:32:00 PM

We have a great concept of priority road. It's defined as "whatever road I'm currently driving on"!

Whenever we have hurricanes here and the power goes out for extended periods of time, the media is very vocal about treating broken lights as 4-way stops and most people comply. The problem is that, people being dumb and incapable of thinking for themselves, they'll also stop at lights in flashing yellow mode because they think it's "broken".
If I may add, emergency signals to that list, as well.

Brian556

Found this in S Pittsburg, TN last week:

Talk about incompotence!

The High Plains Traveler

I saw those in California when I was a kid (through early 60s). (This reply refers to same intersection, not necessarily same signal post). It was generally understood according to my parents that the signal, if operational, trumped the stop sign. Not that dark signals were so common as to warrant this.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

US71

Parts of Missouri have this. The STOP signs are folded and padlocked until needed.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on June 27, 2012, 10:00:14 PM
Parts of Missouri have this. The STOP signs are folded and padlocked until needed.

Same thing here in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Sykotyk

I was always taught the priority is: officer, sign, lights.

Officer directing traffic always trumps any other device. The sign is next. And lastly, if nothing else, the red light/green light dictate movement.

Road Hog

In America a flashing yellow means "proceed with caution." In Europe a flashing yellow means "obey the sign." One of the first things you learn driving in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 02, 2012, 05:08:31 AM

Officer directing traffic always trumps any other device. The sign is next. And lastly, if nothing else, the red light/green light dictate movement.
I would say lights trump signs, in the event that the flip signs go down but the lights are on regulating traffic. I've seen the signs inadvertently unfolded.

mgk920

Quote from: Steve on July 02, 2012, 11:14:42 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on July 02, 2012, 05:08:31 AM

I would say lights trump signs, in the event that the flip signs go down but the lights are on regulating traffic. I've seen the signs inadvertently unfolded.

In much of Europe, as mentioned above, it is 'cop, signals, signs'.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.