News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google streetview in Santiago, Chile

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 30, 2012, 11:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Google streetview added Santiago, Chile. Here a random view http://goo.gl/maps/d3jJv

The High Plains Traveler

A few observations from random looks at the freeway and arterial system:
- No use of route numbers in the city core
- Blue signage on freeways, with green signage for exits to and on surface streets
- Regional destinations, such as "Al Oriente" and "Al Sur" (to the east, to the south). This is reminiscent of the discussion on control regions from England.

Lots more to be gleaned, I'm sure.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

kphoger

Not just Santiago, but also Valparaíso, Concepción, and the highways in between.  Thank you for posting this!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

huskeroadgeek

In addition to part of Chile, they've also added extensive coverage of Andorra and Croatia in their most recent update.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 30, 2012, 02:05:19 PM
A few observations from random looks at the freeway and arterial system:
- No use of route numbers in the city core
- Blue signage on freeways, with green signage for exits to and on surface streets
- Regional destinations, such as "Al Oriente" and "Al Sur" (to the east, to the south). This is reminiscent of the discussion on control regions from England.

Lots more to be gleaned, I'm sure.

The Chilean toll highways between cities are relatively new and are very nice.  Chile happens to be the most economically successful nation in all of Latin America and it's infrastructure is pretty good overall. 

Transportfan

The've finally got around to covering more of South America than just Brazil.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The High Plains Traveler

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Alps

The High Plains Traveler

kphoger

Check out the difference in the exit tabs here
Male pronouns, please.

Desert Man

I used to have a high school research paper on Chile, the "economic miracle" of South America which survived the Pinochet military regime in the 1970s and 80s through a coup involving air force jets bombing the capital replaced the first Marxist elected to any nation's presidency, Allende who was found dead in the rumble. Chile reminds me of the US west coast turned upside down including Patagonia, and isn't any tropical enough like most of Latin America except for most of Argentina and Uruguay, also these 3 nations have a high European cultural imprint (Chile is reportedly 50-65% mestizo/part-indigenous).

Anyway on topic: Looks good to view even more places in the world on google streetview!  :D 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Mike D boy on October 15, 2012, 02:05:49 AM
I used to have a high school research paper on Chile, the "economic miracle" of South America which survived the Pinochet military regime in the 1970s and 80s through a coup involving air force jets bombing the capital replaced the first Marxist elected to any nation's presidency, Allende who was found dead in the rumble. Chile reminds me of the US west coast turned upside down including Patagonia, and isn't any tropical enough like most of Latin America except for most of Argentina and Uruguay, also these 3 nations have a high European cultural imprint (Chile is reportedly 50-65% mestizo/part-indigenous).

Just a quick note on this from someone who's been to Chile a few times (and who paid rapt attention as old timers recited recent Chilean history).  For all his faults, Pinochet was the ultimate reason for what became the Chilean "economic miracle".  He called in renowned economists from the U.S. and Europe to consult on how to restructure the economy into a "U.S.-style" capitalist system.   So the economic miracle didn't 'survive' Pinochet, it exists because he made it possible.  See Argentina as to what happens when a dictator doesn't do what Pinochet did. 

About Allende, it's now en vogue to talk about how he was such a great guy who was unfairly victimized.  But, history shows that his regime became corrupt and started nationalizing various key industries.  When they started rationing bread (with his supporters getting the most coupons), the writing was on the wall.  Ultimately, he committed suicide.   A lot of people were relieved when his rule ended. 

I am not sure about the fighter jets bombing Santiago; you may be thinking of one of Venezuela's coups in the 70s.  But, when Pinochet took over, martial law was declared and there was a full curfew that lasted 2 or 3 days.  I got that part from a guy who worked in the copper industry when it happened.  Allende had armed guards watching over the place until the coup, then they fled.  The radio gave everyone one hour to go home and stay there, then the shooting started.   Or so I was told.

Don't get me wrong, Pinochet wasn't a nice guy.  To this day, large factions in Chile argue over whether he was great or horrible.  But, his legacy also includes a fantastic economy and a police force (the Carabineros) who are honest beyond reproach.   I know it's way OT, but I felt it was worth adding the perspective.   Chile is one of my favorite countries to visit; a wonderful place!

agentsteel53

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 19, 2012, 01:39:34 PM

Just a quick note on this from someone who's been to Chile a few times (and who paid rapt attention as old timers recited recent Chilean history).  For all his faults, Pinochet was the ultimate reason for what became the Chilean "economic miracle".  He called in renowned economists from the U.S. and Europe to consult on how to restructure the economy into a "U.S.-style" capitalist system.   So the economic miracle didn't 'survive' Pinochet, it exists because he made it possible.  See Argentina as to what happens when a dictator doesn't do what Pinochet did. 

interesting.  I'll be visiting both countries in less than a month; looking forward to it for sure.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 19, 2012, 01:39:34 PM

interesting.  I'll be visiting both countries in less than a month; looking forward to it for sure.

Am I to assume you'll be taking pictures? Chile is #1 on my list of South American countries to visit, although I may not make it there before going to the World Cup in 2014 in Brazil.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.