News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, January 16, 2018, 12:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Any predictions for the upcoming season?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Hurricane Rex

Less active than last year. I don't make predictions till May.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ET21

Once we see how the upcoming La Nina setup affects the weather for the rest of Winter and Spring, we'll have a better idea of the tropics
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Hurricane Rex

CSU and Accuweater predict slightly above to highly above average season this year.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 17, 2018, 03:05:49 PM
CSU and Accuweater predict slightly above to highly above average season this year.

LG-TP260
I’m thinking something like 2017’s activity will occur this year.

Besides, 27 Days until the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Pacific_hurricane_season begins. I have no clue what the predictions are for that season.

Something also to note, Infamous John is on this year’s list, which happens to be my middle name!

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on April 18, 2018, 02:19:23 PMI'm thinking something like 2017's activity will occur this year.

Besides, 27 Days until the 2018 Pacific hurricane season begins. I have no clue what the predictions are for that season.

Something also to note, Infamous John is on this year's list, which happens to be my middle name!

FTFY. Don't link to mobile Wikipedia.

Please use the thread I created a few years ago.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US71

We may be getting our first Tropical Storm (Alberto) around Memorial Day
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

The other day, I was thinking of how we learned about confidence intervals as part of a finance course in my MBA program.  So I predict that this year's hurricane season will include between 0 and 10,000 hurricanes.

Beltway

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 17, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

They always do.  Usually are wrong.  Want to create hype.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: US71 on May 23, 2018, 08:32:59 AM
We may be getting our first Tropical Storm (Alberto) around Memorial Day

You know that if the CMC model predicts a storm, your getting a storm. I have never seen a CMC model that predicts a storm, and the storm doesnt actually end up forming. Albeit, the CMC intensity on the model is a bit low (It was only saying that Irma last year would only be a minimal TS),.

Conditions ahead of the newly-tagged Invest 90L are pretty favorable, and will remain so. I'd give it a 70% chance right now.

Interstate 69 Fan

80% officially in 5 days, and the NHC is calling a storm of at least tropical depression strength likely to form.

US71

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 24, 2018, 08:40:06 AM
80% officially in 5 days, and the NHC is calling a storm of at least tropical depression strength likely to form.

Most likely Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida will see most of it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hurricane Rex

Subtropical storm Alberto has formed.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

ET21

Clinched:

Interstate 69 Fan

Get this African Dust out of here.

jeffandnicole

Weather people are fun.  These two stories were written in the past 24 hours:

July active month for Atlantic basin, with formation of two hurricanes  (The paper claims 2 is active because normally a hurricane occurs once every two years.  It then goes on to say "August is one of the most active months in the hurricane season.."
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2018/08/01/july-active-month-atlantic-basin-formation-two-hurricanes/878219002/

Another newspaper:  "Experts at Colorado State University predict storm activity for the remainder of the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be 'below average.'"  Yet, they show an alarming image of 2 hurricanes...from last year.
https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/hurricane_2018_forecast_update.html

Yay for a job where you can be wrong and exaggerate and still have people hang onto every word.

ET21

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2018, 02:14:19 PM
Weather people are fun.  These two stories were written in the past 24 hours:

July active month for Atlantic basin, with formation of two hurricanes  (The paper claims 2 is active because normally a hurricane occurs once every two years.  It then goes on to say "August is one of the most active months in the hurricane season.."
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2018/08/01/july-active-month-atlantic-basin-formation-two-hurricanes/878219002/

Another newspaper:  "Experts at Colorado State University predict storm activity for the remainder of the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be 'below average.'"  Yet, they show an alarming image of 2 hurricanes...from last year.
https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/hurricane_2018_forecast_update.html

Yay for a job where you can be wrong and exaggerate and still have people hang onto every word.

Both links are your usual click-bait articles for newspapers

Clinched:

Interstate 69 Fan

So when Did Hector decide to become a step away from Cat 5?

Interstate 69 Fan

ET21

Helene and possibly Joyce could make for some rough weather for Ireland and the UK early next week

Clinched:

Hurricane Rex

So much for 60% chance for this season being below average, and we still have 47% if the season left. ACE has reached 80 (66-110 is near average)

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Its fair to say 2018 hurricane seasons are over for the big ones, yes I know about the 60% chance area if interest but I just want to put this out there.

Chance of retirement IMO:
Atlantic:
Alberto: <1%
Beryl: <1%
Chris: 0%
Debby: 0%
Ernesto: 0%
Florence: 99%
Gordon: 2%
Helene: 1%
Isaac: 0%
Joyce: 0%
Kirk: 0%
Leslie: 20%
Michael: 99%
Nadine: 0%
Oscar: 0%

EPac (unless otherwise stated, chance is 0%):
Bud: <1%
Caroletta: <1%
Hector: 3%
Lane: 55% (damages not as severe as predicted)
Olivia: 3%
Nineteen: wait....
Rosa: 5%
Sergio: 8%
Walaka: 1%
Vicentee: 50% (16 deaths)
Willia: 40%

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.