News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

I'm wondering if any of the congestion problems on the Thruway Mainline could be solved simply by:

-Raising the speed limit to 70mph and strictly enforcing minimum speed limits
-Strictly enforcing "keep right except to pass"
-Restricting oversize load trips to between 11PM and 5AM.

02 Park Ave

Strictly enforcing "Keep right except to pass" would most certainly solve a lot of problems everywhere.
C-o-H

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 27, 2018, 10:39:51 PM
Strictly enforcing "Keep right except to pass" would most certainly solve a lot of problems everywhere.

On the sections I regularly drive people don't seem to be so bad about keeping right... except the Berkshire section. I think we know which lovely commonwealth's drivers are to blame for that  :clap:

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 27, 2018, 09:31:41 PM
I'm wondering if any of the congestion problems on the Thruway Mainline could be solved simply by:

-Raising the speed limit to 70mph and strictly enforcing minimum speed limits
-Strictly enforcing "keep right except to pass"
-Restricting oversize load trips to between 11PM and 5AM.
In my book, the only congestion on the Thruway worth worrying about is downstate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2018, 07:51:03 AM
In my book, the only congestion on the Thruway worth worrying about is downstate.

I actually agree, for the most part, unless there's an accident. You're pretty much guaranteed to hit an accident-related slowdown on a summer or holiday weekend.

It is really somewhat circular: heavy traffic causes the accident, which then makes the traffic worse yet. I'd reckon at least 3/4 of the Thruway's accidents are caused, directly or indirectly, by unsustainably high traffic volumes.You never see an accident when overall volumes are low.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

goldfishcrackers4

New overhead with curved tube installed in Utica.

SM-G960U

"It's the law (of physics). I don't share the road!"
-Unknown

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: goldfishcrackers4 on November 30, 2018, 04:31:23 PM
New overhead with curved tube installed in Utica.

SM-G960U

Now to play everyone's favorite game with new Thruway signage:

Is! It! Reflective?!!

seicer

😂

It doesn't appear to be of the same grade material, so let's hope so.

Buffaboy

I wonder what's driving the move to curved tube gantries.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

shadyjay

That's the best looking sign in NY I've seen in a while.  I like how the corners aren't so rounded, which makes the exit tab look awkward and not be aligned all the way to the right.  This design is much better, IMHO.

ixnay

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 30, 2018, 11:56:38 PM

The deep state, no doubt.  ;-)

Those curved tube gantries look like gantries on steroids.

ixnay

goldfishcrackers4

I'll try to get up there tonight to find out. Keep your fingers crossed.

SM-G960U

"It's the law (of physics). I don't share the road!"
-Unknown

seicer

I wonder if it's just the ease of installation and maintenance? But I've seen new, more traditional installations in New York that are gantries on steroids - much bigger than previous iterations: https://goo.gl/maps/af1Km8Kx1S82

cl94

NYSTA is moving to monotubes for new installations, but the shift is gradual. Buffalo and Syracuse Districts have been leading the charge. I-190 is getting a ton of monotubes next year, including a full-span gantry. NYSDOT is keeping the truss gantries.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Revive 755

Quote from: seicer on December 01, 2018, 11:11:23 AM

I wonder if it's just the ease of installation and maintenance? But I've seen new, more traditional installations in New York that are gantries on steroids - much bigger than previous iterations: https://goo.gl/maps/af1Km8Kx1S82

Probably the same change in the AASHTO structural specifications for signs and traffic signals that has resulted in many signal mast arms using larger tubes.

machias

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 27, 2018, 10:48:28 PM

On the sections I regularly drive people don't seem to be so bad about keeping right... except the Berkshire section. I think we know which lovely commonwealth's drivers are to blame for that  :clap:

Having driven the length the mainline many times, I've always found the worst offenders for not keeping right could be found between Rochester and Buffalo. In fact, there's extra signs along that stretch urging motorists to keep right except to pass. Usually there's "Keep Right Except To Pass" found in the median along the Thruway, but along that stretch there's sets of two signs saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right", even though they're not placed on upgrades.

machias

Quote from: shadyjay on December 01, 2018, 12:08:53 AM
That's the best looking sign in NY I've seen in a while.  I like how the corners aren't so rounded, which makes the exit tab look awkward and not be aligned all the way to the right.  This design is much better, IMHO.

The NYS Supplement to the MUTCD calls for exit tabs to be indented to the inside of the radius of the sign, unless something has recently changed. I agree this sign looks great.

Michael

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 01, 2018, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: seicer on December 01, 2018, 11:11:23 AM

Probably the same change in the AASHTO structural specifications for signs and traffic signals that has resulted in many signal mast arms using larger tubes.

Is that change why NYSDOT seems to be on a signal replacement frenzy (at least in CNY)?  I've seen various regional signal upgrade contracts on the Projects page over the past few years, but many of them have been replacements that look like what was there before.  The first one that comes to mind is Washington St at the Arterial in Auburn.  These signals were replaced in the 90s, and again in 2013.  I've also noticed some span wires being replaced with mast arms.  None of the posts or mast arms have been bigger, so why bother replacing them?

seicer

I'm not sure. But I noted in the New York thread about somewhat newer signs along NY 13 being replaced with pretty much exact copies (with some minor changes) on new posts. And now they are replacing (admittingly) a pretty worn wire-span signal with massive mast-arms. I suspect that this signal's replacement is being tied into upgrades into signal coordination throughout. There are now some new sensors on posts the adjoining intersections to replace the in-ground loops.

thenetwork

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2018, 12:01:45 PM
NYSTA is moving to monotubes for new installations, but the shift is gradual. Buffalo and Syracuse Districts have been leading the charge. I-190 is getting a ton of monotubes next year, including a full-span gantry. NYSDOT is keeping the truss gantries.

Does that mean the Northbound Arial-fonted gantry by Grand Island is (gasp) Endangered???

webny99

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 01, 2018, 03:54:01 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 27, 2018, 10:48:28 PM
Having driven the length the mainline many times, I've always found the worst offenders for not keeping right could be found between Rochester and Buffalo. In fact, there's extra signs along that stretch urging motorists to keep right except to pass. Usually there's "Keep Right Except To Pass" found in the median along the Thruway, but along that stretch there's sets of two signs saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right", even though they're not placed on upgrades.

Yes! Thank you! Traffic moves well on the Buffalo - Rochester stretch, but you will never, ever, encounter anyone doing 80 or better that will move right. When I set the cruise to 77, I am the fastest one that spends any time at all in the right lane, period. It's bad all the time, but worst after Bill's games.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2018, 12:01:45 PM

Well they certainly aren't doing it with the reconstructed section of I-90 in Lackawanna. It appears as though they have foundations up for new trusses.

I can't wait for the monotubes to go in on I-190. The one at I-290 and I-90 looks fantastic.

And yes Michael, the signal replacement thing is interesting. Where NY-75 ends at its northern terminus, just last month they installed a 4-way signal with 2 FYAs. This is the closest sets of FYAs near my house (although I think the reconstructed I-90/NY-75 one might be closer if it has them, but they haven't installed permanent signals yet).
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cu2010

Is it just me, or is the "Utica" and "1 MILE" legends on the sign slightly off-center?

It looks like they're centered on the NY8 shield as opposed to the sign as a whole...

Still, looks great otherwise...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

machias

Just drove the Thruway from Ripley to Carrier Circle in Syracuse. The vast majority of signs, both new and old, are really suffering in the retroreflectivity department. The worst are the Clearview overhead signs in Buffalo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.