News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

States Borders

Started by Angelo71, May 05, 2021, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 22, 2021, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 22, 2021, 10:52:35 AM
Slightly different, but anyone remember this change.org poll that went viral 2 years ago to sell Montana to Canada?

No.

United States of Canada/Jesusland was much more widespread.

Sell Illinois to Canada.  All that flat land must be worth something.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 22, 2021, 01:06:23 PM
Slightly different, but anyone remember this change.org poll that went viral 2 years ago to sell Montana to Canada?

No.

You, sir, win the Internet for the day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dlsterner

No.

Only if Canada takes Lord Carhorn as part of the deal.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on October 22, 2021, 07:12:27 PM

No.

Only if Canada takes Lord Carhorn as part of the deal.

There is a nation on this planet that can afford Lord Carhorn?  I would have thought he would the cost the entire production of the Spice Melange (I never though that reference would be relevant again).

CtrlAltDel

Dear Mr. President, there are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot!
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 21, 2021, 04:39:02 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on October 21, 2021, 04:06:37 PM
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/10/21/leaders-in-maryland-counties-explore-swiping-right-on-west-virginia/

Nothing will come of this, of course.  This bubbles up every so many years, because the western 3 counties of Maryland are vastly different from the rest of the state.  I think this time it is related to redistricting, as Maryland likes to draw really convoluted lines to dilute the votes of groups that disagree with majority.

Weld County, Colorado like to think about joining Wyoming every once in a while too.  Good riddance.

Chris

second that.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Road Hog

Not to get political, but I sense some blue states see what the red states are cooking and plan some shenanigans of their own. Hochul in NY has stated as such.

Rothman

Quote from: Road Hog on October 23, 2021, 05:03:28 AM
Not to get political, but I sense some blue states see what the red states are cooking and plan some shenanigans of their own. Hochul in NY has stated as such.
What, exactly?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2021, 10:39:13 AM
What, exactly?

The best BBQ is in red states so New York is planning to create their own form of BBQ.

Rothman

Quote from: The Nature Boy on October 23, 2021, 11:29:24 AM
What, exactly?

The best BBQ is in red states so New York is planning to create their own form of BBQ.
See Dinosaur BBQ...which is way overhyped.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2021, 11:38:40 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on October 23, 2021, 11:29:24 AM
What, exactly?

See Dinosaur BBQ...which is way overhyped.
And Dallas BBQ.

On the other hand, I loved both Brother Jimmy's and Virgil's.

vdeane

What, exactly?
There are ads on TV urging voters to reject some of the propositions on this year's ballot.  I imagine he's referring to those.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on October 23, 2021, 10:34:34 PM
What, exactly?
There are ads on TV urging voters to reject some of the propositions on this year's ballot.  I imagine he's referring to those.
Regarding NY's borders?

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2021, 11:08:38 PM
What, exactly?
Regarding NY's borders?
I do not believe he was referring to state borders.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on October 23, 2021, 11:14:46 PM
What, exactly?
Regarding NY's borders?
So...he showed up to post a non sequitur.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2021, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 23, 2021, 11:14:46 PM
What, exactly?
Regarding NY's borders?
So...he showed up to post a non sequitur.
Not quite.  Note the initial quote in the string in the post he replied to (bolded for emphasis):

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 23, 2021, 03:32:10 AM
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/10/21/leaders-in-maryland-counties-explore-swiping-right-on-west-virginia/

Nothing will come of this, of course.  This bubbles up every so many years, because the western 3 counties of Maryland are vastly different from the rest of the state.  I think this time it is related to redistricting, as Maryland likes to draw really convoluted lines to dilute the votes of groups that disagree with majority.

Weld County, Colorado like to think about joining Wyoming every once in a while too.  Good riddance.

Chris

second that.

brad2971

Chris

second that.

As long as you're OK with losing all that tax revenue from Weld County's oil production. Not to mention, it's agricultural production. It can be resonably argued that Weld is, on a natural resource basis, one of the nation's wealthiest counties.

Then again, CO is not the only state where large numbers of its residents are in cultural conflict with one of its revenue generators. Lea and Eddy counties in New Mexico are, arguably, it's most conservative counties. Those two counties also produce upwards of 1 million barrels of oil per day. The contempt those two counties have for Santa Fe getting and spending that tax revenue is...quite palpable.

hbelkins

Quote from: brad2971 on October 24, 2021, 12:18:20 AM

Chris

second that.

As long as you're OK with losing all that tax revenue from Weld County's oil production. Not to mention, it's agricultural production. It can be resonably argued that Weld is, on a natural resource basis, one of the nation's wealthiest counties.

Then again, CO is not the only state where large numbers of its residents are in cultural conflict with one of its revenue generators. Lea and Eddy counties in New Mexico are, arguably, it's most conservative counties. Those two counties also produce upwards of 1 million barrels of oil per day. The contempt those two counties have for Santa Fe getting and spending that tax revenue is...quite palpable.

Sounds like Kentucky taking coal severance tax funds, intended to be reinvested in counties where coal is mined, and using them for a renovation of Rupp Arena in Lexington.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

Quote from: Bruce on October 21, 2021, 06:53:17 PM
A few Oregon counties voted in a non-binding referendum last year to join Idaho. If Idaho wants to take on the burden of subsidizing nowhereland, it's on them, but it will take a lot more convincing to reach the group's goal of an Idaho Coast.

That's interesting and it includes the Jefferson region of Southern Oregon and Northern California.
Those two areas always appear in the Jefferson debates.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 22, 2021, 08:17:57 PM
Dear Mr. President, there are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot!
:-D
Ah, classic Abe Simpson!

Quote from: Bruce on October 21, 2021, 06:53:17 PM
A few Oregon counties voted in a non-binding referendum last year to join Idaho. If Idaho wants to take on the burden of subsidizing nowhereland, it's on them, but it will take a lot more convincing to reach the group's goal of an Idaho Coast.

No deal unless we can force some of these mostly empty states to merge at the same time.  One Dakota to rule them all!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.