News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

$0.00 tolls

Started by hotdogPi, August 31, 2018, 08:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

You get a toll ticket, but you don't have to pay.

Two examples that I know of:

A trip from I-88 to I-87 north, or the reverse trip, has a $0.00 toll on the Thruway.

Previously, the Mass Pike had a $0.00 toll if your starting and ending destinations were both west of Exit 6, at least for standard cars (I believe trucks still had to pay).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

AP-7 around Girona, Spain. Between Fornells de la Selva to the South and Vilademuls to the North, toll is €0.00 ($0.00 with current exchange rate), but one has still to get a toll ticket.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

From NY 17 East north on the Thruway to I-84 in Newburgh.  You pay the toll at the end of Route 17, then proceed onto the northbound ramp, where you get a ticket upon entering the mainline, then owe nothing as you surrender the ticket at Exit 17.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2018, 08:24:59 AM
You get a toll ticket, but you don't have to pay.

Two examples that I know of:

A trip from I-88 to I-87 north, or the reverse trip, has a $0.00 toll on the Thruway.

Previously, the Mass Pike had a $0.00 toll if your starting and ending destinations were both west of Exit 6, at least for standard cars (I believe trucks still had to pay).

Does it have to be a legal exit?   :-D :-D

abefroman329

The Skyway McDonalds used to have some sort of ticket/barrier system in place to prevent people from using it to make a toll-free U-turn.

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2018, 08:24:59 AM
Also between I-88 and the I-890 exits, but not between I-890 and I-87.  This creates the weird effect where it's cheaper (free, actually) to drive from exit 24 to exit 25A, get off and turn around, and then drive to exit 25, then it is to just drive from 24 to 25 in the first place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Cherokee Turnpike in Oklahoma. if you're EB and stop at the service area, you can exit WB and turn off the the next exit (Alt 412 Rose/Leach) because it's assumed you paid at the toll plaza one mile east.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

briantroutman

I recall once around 2000 (as a passenger) taking a somewhat circuitous route (I-99 > I-70 > I-81) to visit my brother at Virginia Tech. We picked up a PA Turnpike toll ticket at Bedford, but exiting at Breezewood, the attendant just took the ticket and said "No charge" .

At the time, I was wondering: Did Bud Shuster pull some strings and get the toll suspended between I-99 and I-70 to make I-99 a more attractive N-S route? I seem to recall seeing an article later that tolls had been suspended temporarily between the two interchanges for a specific reason, but now I can't remember what that was. If anyone knows, please remind me.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 31, 2018, 09:20:01 AM
The Skyway McDonalds used to have some sort of ticket/barrier system in place to prevent people from using it to make a toll-free U-turn.

I don't recall seeing anything there to stop a U-turn, but the last time I stopped there was 2004.  The McDonald's had a drive-thru and parking on the southwest side of the building.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Not sure this counts because it's not a paper "toll ticket," but it does involve roads with distance-based tolls similar in concept to a ticket system: The HO/T lanes in Virginia will post a $0.00 toll if you have an E-ZPass Flex in HOV mode. I don't know what happens with HO/T lanes elsewhere, as the only other ones I've used are in Miami and we paid the 25¢ toll there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: briantroutman on August 31, 2018, 01:15:46 PM
I recall once around 2000 (as a passenger) taking a somewhat circuitous route (I-99 > I-70 > I-81) to visit my brother at Virginia Tech. We picked up a PA Turnpike toll ticket at Bedford, but exiting at Breezewood, the attendant just took the ticket and said "No charge" .

At the time, I was wondering: Did Bud Shuster pull some strings and get the toll suspended between I-99 and I-70 to make I-99 a more attractive N-S route? I seem to recall seeing an article later that tolls had been suspended temporarily between the two interchanges for a specific reason, but now I can't remember what that was. If anyone knows, please remind me.

It was during a bunch of construction on US-30 in between Bedford and the Everett Bypass.  The Turnpike was the official detour, so I believe PennDOT paid the PTC for this.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 31, 2018, 01:42:59 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on August 31, 2018, 01:15:46 PM

It was during a bunch of construction on US-30 in between Bedford and the Everett Bypass.  The Turnpike was the official detour, so I believe PennDOT paid the PTC for this.

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the topic.  Here's an article on it:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2006/01/19/Free-ride-s-over-on-turnpike-from-Bedford-to-Breezewood/stories/200601190445

And yes, Bud pulled some strings...

jeffandnicole

If we eliminate the requirement of a toll ticket:

NJ's Garden State Parkway has numerous toll-free possibilities.

On the Atlantic City Expressway, the only real way to travel it toll free is by entering eastbound between Rt. 42 and the Frank Farley toll plaza and making a U-turn at the Frank Farley toll plaza, although there's little reason to do so unless you want some overpriced rest stop food.  If you did this to avoid a ramp toll, even the closest interchange (NJ 50) would take you 12 miles out of your way roundtrip, so the distance to make the U-turn to avoid the 75 cent toll negates any savings.

One could also enter westbound from Atlantic City, make a U-turn at the Welcome Center/Bus Intercept Lot/Sunoco, and then travel back east to pick up the exit for Rt. 322, but again no real reason to do that.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2018, 02:11:39 PMOn the Atlantic City Expressway, the only real way to travel it toll free is by entering eastbound between Rt. 42 and the Frank Farley toll plaza and making a U-turn at the Frank Farley toll plaza, although there's little reason to do so unless you want some overpriced rest stop food.
One could also enter westbound from Atlantic City, make a U-turn at the Welcome Center/Bus Intercept Lot/Sunoco, and then travel back east to pick up the exit for Rt. 322, but again no real reason to do that.
Unless one's a cheapskate roadgeek needing to drive those sections for clinching purposes.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 31, 2018, 01:42:59 PM

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 31, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
Here's an article on it:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2006/01/19/Free-ride-s-over-on-turnpike-from-Bedford-to-Breezewood/stories/200601190445

And yes, Bud pulled some strings...

Thanks for reminding me! A detour makes perfect sense.

That makes me wonder–and I guess it would be pertinent to this thread: Have there been any other occasions where either a construction project on a nearby free road–or perhaps an incident like a major vehicle crash or significant winter weather event–necessitated a detour onto the Turnpike, and the PTC similarly waived tolls for detoured vehicles?

US 89

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 31, 2018, 08:34:32 AM
€0.00 ($0.00 with current exchange rate)
However, with the exchange rate a year ago, zero euros was equal to two cents.  :bigass:

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on August 31, 2018, 01:16:30 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 31, 2018, 09:20:01 AM

I don't recall seeing anything there to stop a U-turn, but the last time I stopped there was 2004.  The McDonald's had a drive-thru and parking on the southwest side of the building.
It was there until it was demolished. If you exited I-90 going east to go to McDonalds, you were given a ticket that you needed to insert in a machine next to a barrier in order to continue on I-90 eastbound. Presumably it was there to prevent people from taking a toll-free ride from IN across the bridge and then back to IN.

Mapmikey

Quote from: briantroutman on August 31, 2018, 02:19:01 PM

That makes me wonder–and I guess it would be pertinent to this thread: Have there been any other occasions where either a construction project on a nearby free road–or perhaps an incident like a major vehicle crash or significant winter weather event–necessitated a detour onto the Turnpike, and the PTC similarly waived tolls for detoured vehicles?

A version of this happens occasionally on the I-95 HOT lanes in Northern Virginia when a major mishap on the main lanes will cause VDOT to open the HOT lanes to all traffic without charge.

I believe there is getting ready to be a nighttime construction detour from mainline I-395 onto its HOV/HOT lanes...

Joe The Dragon

no ticket
I-94 (IL)
IL-21 to IL-132

hbelkins

The last time I used the US 231 (Exit 9) northbound exit on the Natcher Parkway at Bowling Green, there was no toll. This was one of the old cloverleaf toll booths (it still has that configuration) with the toll booth beneath the bridge. I don't remember the purpose of my trip, or why I was exiting there, but I pulled into the right lane to exit, and told the attendant I was "getting off." I was told there was no charge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Lake Ponchartrain Causeway is toll-free northbound & tolled southbound.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 31, 2018, 09:05:33 PM

A version of this happens occasionally on the I-95 HOT lanes in Northern Virginia when a major mishap on the main lanes will cause VDOT to open the HOT lanes to all traffic without charge.

I believe there is getting ready to be a nighttime construction detour from mainline I-395 onto its HOV/HOT lanes...
I think it happens with other HOT facilities as well. I was going home from working the night shift one morning and was getting on the I-15 HOT lanes from a transit station when I saw the SB toll was "open to all." I found out why the hard way.

RobbieL2415

People will drive in the HOV lanes on I-84 and I-91 if there's enough snow to hide the lane markings. They will even drive in the divider area!

US 89

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 01, 2018, 07:22:48 PM

People will drive in the HOV lanes on I-84 and I-91 if there's enough snow to hide the lane markings. They will even drive in the divider area!

When it snows, the lanes aren't painted on the road; they're where the cars in front of you have gone. :)

SSR_317

Quote from: US 89 on September 01, 2018, 07:34:03 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 01, 2018, 07:22:48 PM

When it snows, the lanes aren't painted on the road; they're where the cars in front of you have gone. :)
In snowy conditions, most drivers will follow the tracks from previous drivers right off a cliff, or into a tree or other obstruction, because they are STUPID! Even on roads they drive on almost every day and thus should instinctively know where the lanes are without any guidance from pavement markings. As such, this is one of the very few situations where I believe that automated driving or driver assistance might be useful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.