Counties that contain no national-level routes

Started by epzik8, October 23, 2018, 02:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Gladwin County, Michigan can be added to the list.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

csw

Wisconsin seems to be Taylor, Green, Green Lake, Kewaunee, Door, Menominee, and Burnett.

edit: and Adams.

Roadsguy

Quote from: BrianP on October 24, 2018, 01:28:10 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2018, 09:02:01 PM
I don't think PA has any counties that qualify. Like SC and some of the other Southern states, PA is loaded with US Routes, especially compared to NY. For example, both US 15 and US 220 run the vertical length of PA, hitting close to 20 PA counties combined, only to end at/near the NY border.
You haven't read the thread then.

Yup, Cameron County has only state routes. It did at one point have US 120, but today it's just PA 120. I do agree that Pennsylvania has loads of US routes. Cameron County only doesn't because it's so small.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

webny99

Quote from: BrianP on October 24, 2018, 01:28:10 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2018, 09:02:01 PM
I don't think PA has any counties that qualify. Like SC and some of the other Southern states, PA is loaded with US Routes, especially compared to NY. For example, both US 15 and US 220 run the vertical length of PA, hitting close to 20 PA counties combined, only to end at/near the NY border.
You haven't read the thread then.

I made sure I skimmed pretty thoroughly, but look what I missed:
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 23, 2018, 02:34:18 PM
I think Cameron County is Pennsylvania's only example.
Given that, my post wasn't wildly inaccurate. 1 of 67 is a very small percentage, compared to NY's 8 of 62, among other examples. And, as noted, PA is stacked with US Routes.

bassoon1986

Louisiana has 6 parishes:
-West Carroll in the NE corner. US 165 and US 65 are in parishes on either side
-Cameron in coastal SW LA
-Bordering parishes St. Bernard and Plaquemines south of metro New Orleans. US 90 and I-510 are the closest to those.
-Washington in the "toe of the boot."  I-12 is to the south and I-55 to the west
-St. Helena on the other side of I-55 from Washington Parish

Arkansas has many US routes. Only 2 counties without US or Interstate routes: Perry and Yell Counties, just south of Arkansas River and I-40

iPhone

GaryV

Quote from: renegade on October 24, 2018, 01:54:51 PM

Yup, I-75 misses it by less than 1/4 mile.

hbelkins

Gobs in Kentucky. Of the 10 counties in my highway district, only three have a US route (460) and none have an interstate. Of course I think that should change, as I think the four-lane portion of the Mountain Parkway deserves an interstate designation.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wxfree

Quote from: webny99 on October 24, 2018, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: oscar on October 24, 2018, 12:13:50 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 23, 2018, 11:39:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2018, 08:50:16 PM
Wouldn't be surprised at all if Tompkins is the most populous county on the list nationwide - a population of 105,000 and no US Routes is quite impressive. Now I'm curious. I don't think any other county mentioned yet is more populous.
Hawaii County, Hawaii is home to 198,449 people.
Which beats Maui County (about 166K).
Anchorage (AK) municipality has a population of almost 300K. But it has two unsigned Interstates, parts of which are freeways. Ditto Fairbanks North Star Borough, with under 32K. Alaska's largest-population qualifying county equivalent is the City and Borough of Juneau, with under 33K.

Limiting it to the continental US, Tompkins County might still stand a chance.

It would still be behind Brazoria County in Texas with a population of 362,457.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on October 24, 2018, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: renegade on October 24, 2018, 01:54:51 PM

Yup, I-75 misses it by less than 1/4 mile.
US-10 sort of barely misses it too by about 2-3 miles.

GenExpwy

Quote from: wxfree on October 24, 2018, 11:19:57 PM
Wouldn't be surprised at all if Tompkins is the most populous county on the list nationwide - a population of 105,000 and no US Routes is quite impressive. Now I'm curious. I don't think any other county mentioned yet is more populous.
Anchorage (AK) municipality has a population of almost 300K. But it has two unsigned Interstates, parts of which are freeways. Ditto Fairbanks North Star Borough, with under 32K. Alaska's largest-population qualifying county equivalent is the City and Borough of Juneau, with under 33K.

And Tulare County CA, population 464,493; since CA 99 is no longer a US route and is not yet an Interstate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GenExpwy on October 25, 2018, 04:14:31 AM
Quote from: wxfree on October 24, 2018, 11:19:57 PM

And Tulare County CA, population 464,493; since CA 99 is no longer a US route and is not yet an Interstate.

Mentioned Tulare up thread a little bit.  Kind of makes that decision to boot US 99 from California seem silly with population figures like that popping up.

clong

Quote from: formulanone on October 23, 2018, 09:45:34 PM
Florida has 3: Union, Calhoun, and Liberty.

The last two appear to have FL 20 running though them, an NHS Route. (It's erroneously denoted by "FL 12", another NHS route, which is nearby and runs though Liberty County.)

Alabama has 2: Geneva and Clay, neither of which have an NHS Route.

Add Wilcox to your Alabama list.

mrcmc888

Tennessee has Overton, Jackson, Clay, Macon, and Lake

doorknob60

In Idaho: Boise, Gem, Teton, and Valley counties do not have any US or Interstate routes. I don't think I missed any, though my methodology was basically just guess and check.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2018, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 23, 2018, 09:06:55 PM
Calhoun might be the strangest county in Illinois to me. Totally landlocked between the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers with only one  bridge going across the Illinois River and a ferry route going across the Illinois River as well. Does anyone really ever visit that county? At least the other two counties you mentioned are easier to get to.

But isn't it totally reasonable that a county hardly anyone goes to doesn't have a US Route?
Yeah I think it is. The most remote place in Illinois might be in Calhoun County.

thefraze_1020

In Washington State, both Wahkiakum and Skamania Counties have already been mentioned. However, both counties previously contained US 830 until 1967. Other counties in Washington with no federal-level routes include Kitsap County, Island County, and San Juan County (but this one doesn't have any numbered highways, unless you count the ferry docks, which are technically part of SR 20 Spur).
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Road Hog

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 24, 2018, 06:29:05 PM
-Bordering parishes St. Bernard and Plaquemines south of metro New Orleans. US 90 and I-510 are the closest to those.
-Washington in the "toe of the boot."  I-12 is to the south and I-55 to the west

Arkansas has many US routes. Only 2 counties without US or Interstate routes: Perry and Yell Counties, just south of Arkansas River and I-40

iPhone

Incomplete. Arkansas also has Cleburne, Stone and Izard without a US or interstate, along with Yell and Perry.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Road Hog on October 25, 2018, 07:20:53 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 24, 2018, 06:29:05 PM

iPhone

Incomplete. Arkansas also has Cleburne, Stone and Izard without a US or interstate, along with Yell and Perry.

Rude. Thanks for the correction

iPhone

SGwithADD

Quote from: cl94 on October 23, 2018, 06:28:55 PM
New York has several. Hamilton, Lewis, Orleans, Schuyler, Tompkins, Wayne, and Yates (7/62) have no US routes or Interstates. Chenango and Delaware are clipped by I-88, Sullivan is clipped by US 209, Tioga has less than 1/2 mile of I-86. Wyoming County only has an alternate (US 20A). Chemung and Tioga got their only federally-designated route (I-86) within the past decade or so.

Tioga had a very small piece of US 220 in practice until the construction of the Southern Tier Expressway, and legally until last year.  Still, your point stands that it barely has a national-level route.

Ian

Piscataquis County is the only county in Maine with no Interstate or US route.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BrianP

DTComposer

Quote from: sparker on October 23, 2018, 05:21:36 PM
In CA:  Trinity, Alpine, Butte, Sutter, Lake, Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa, and Tulare counties contain no Interstate or U.S. highways.  I-80 barely "nicks" into far-flung corners of both Napa and Sierra counties.

For an exercise examining the opposite concept, there's a handful of CA counties that have all three types of highways:  Riverside (US 95), San Bernardino (US 95 & 395), Los Angeles (US 101), Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin (all containing US 101 and at least one Interstate), Sacramento, Yolo (both US 50), and Siskiyou (US 97).  Of course in post '64 CA, US routes are a bit hard to come by!   

Santa Cruz County also has no Interstate or US routes.

sparker

Quote from: DTComposer on October 26, 2018, 02:17:12 PM
Quote from: sparker on October 23, 2018, 05:21:36 PM
In CA:  Trinity, Alpine, Butte, Sutter, Lake, Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa, and Tulare counties contain no Interstate or U.S. highways.  I-80 barely "nicks" into far-flung corners of both Napa and Sierra counties.

For an exercise examining the opposite concept, there's a handful of CA counties that have all three types of highways:  Riverside (US 95), San Bernardino (US 95 & 395), Los Angeles (US 101), Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin (all containing US 101 and at least one Interstate), Sacramento, Yolo (both US 50), and Siskiyou (US 97).  Of course in post '64 CA, US routes are a bit hard to come by!   

Santa Cruz County also has no Interstate or US routes.

Forgot about that one -- also add Madera County to the mix (its western end stops short of I-5). 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.