News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: LM117 on September 11, 2019, 02:50:14 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-11-deep-gap-interchange.aspx

Quote​DEEP GAP — A major interchange in the High Country is opening today with traffic taking a new route at the intersection of U.S. 221 and U.S. 421 near the Watauga and Ashe county line.

N.C. Department of Transportation officials are opening the interchange, which is part of a $46 million project to build the interchange, improve and widen U.S. 221 from Deep Gap to just north of the South Fork New River.

"Today is a big day because the interchange is a very important part of accomplishing the safety component of the purpose and need of the project – to improve safety and mobility,"  Division 11 Construction Engineer Trent Beaver said. "The interchange eliminates a traffic signal and separates traffic in an area that is very prone to foggy conditions."

Traffic heading from Boone to West Jefferson will exit U.S. 421 and drive on a bridge over U.S 421 to join U.S. 221. Traffic driving from Wilkesboro to West Jefferson will take a new off-ramp from U.S. 421 to U.S. 221.

Drivers heading from West Jefferson to Wilkesboro will use separate lanes of the new bridge to join U.S. 421 South. The only remaining movement – from West Jefferson to Boone – will remain in its existing pattern until that ramp is complete later this year.

"This interchange has been a priority from the conception of the project,"  Beaver said. "We are pleased to see it open today."

Glad to see this open....Didnt think it'd ever get done. We had a running joke about it here in Ashe
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on September 11, 2019, 02:50:14 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-11-deep-gap-interchange.aspx

Quote​DEEP GAP — A major interchange in the High Country is opening today with traffic taking a new route at the intersection of U.S. 221 and U.S. 421 near the Watauga and Ashe county line.

N.C. Department of Transportation officials are opening the interchange, which is part of a $46 million project to build the interchange, improve and widen U.S. 221 from Deep Gap to just north of the South Fork New River.

"Today is a big day because the interchange is a very important part of accomplishing the safety component of the purpose and need of the project – to improve safety and mobility,"  Division 11 Construction Engineer Trent Beaver said. "The interchange eliminates a traffic signal and separates traffic in an area that is very prone to foggy conditions."

Traffic heading from Boone to West Jefferson will exit U.S. 421 and drive on a bridge over U.S 421 to join U.S. 221. Traffic driving from Wilkesboro to West Jefferson will take a new off-ramp from U.S. 421 to U.S. 221.

Drivers heading from West Jefferson to Wilkesboro will use separate lanes of the new bridge to join U.S. 421 South. The only remaining movement – from West Jefferson to Boone – will remain in its existing pattern until that ramp is complete later this year.

"This interchange has been a priority from the conception of the project,"  Beaver said. "We are pleased to see it open today."
Don't know how the interchange was actually configured, but this was the plan at least a few years back. Assume it's relatively similar or the same though.

wdcrft63

Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2019, 11:34:08 AM
Money is the issue.  Yes I-95 should be widened all the way from Georgia to Virginia but it is that factor.   This project is only being done due to grants, so the I-95 Business to I-40 widening is covered in that aspect as well as upgrades to US 70 for Future I-42.
The new contract is $404 million for 15 miles: a bit under $27 million/mile. Projecting that over the entire length of I-95 in NC is a bit over $5 billion.

LM117

A little heads-up for I-95 travelers (or locals) that might stop at a hotel or other business on US-264 Alternate in Wilson.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/raleigh-road-parkway-traffic-access-is-changing,189445
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

Never seen that interchange design, sprjus4. I'm sure those could do well at clogged T intersections.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-13-this-week-ncdot.aspx

QuoteDorian Recovery

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, the N.C. Department of Transportation is putting its efforts into making repairs to reopen state roads quickly.

About a dozen roads are still closed, including N.C. 12 in Ocracoke where more than 1,000 feet of major dunes and pavement will need to be replaced.

The damage from Dorian is estimated to be about $45 million and repairs are expected to be complete by the end of the year.

U.S. 421 Announcement

Florence caused the state's largest washout on U.S. 421 at the New Hanover / Pender county line.

The culvert at Fishing Creek could not withstand the floodwaters. It was destroyed, along with several hundred feet of the highway.

Since then, crews constructed a temporary bridge that opened to traffic in October of last year.

Instead of just replacing the culvert, NCDOT engineers chose to design for better resiliency: two bridges, both two lanes at 562 feet long. This will allow more water to flow through.

The first bridge is nearly complete, and the other is expected to open next year.

LM117

Even though the road has been open since April, NCDOT will hold a formal ribbon-cutting ceremony tomorrow for the 10th Street Connector in Greenville.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/09/14/Monday-event-will-name-connector-for-Jenkins-Best.html

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on September 15, 2019, 09:29:32 AM
Even though the road has been open since April, NCDOT will hold a formal ribbon-cutting ceremony tomorrow for the 10th Street Connector in Greenville.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/09/14/Monday-event-will-name-connector-for-Jenkins-Best.html
The connector piece opened in April 2019, but the entire project also widened and improved Farmville Blvd between Memorial Dr and 14th Ave into a four-lane divided roadway which that piece was still under construction in April. That piece was likely completed in the past few weeks and that's why the ribbon-cutting ceremony is now.

D-Dey65

Quote from: LM117 on September 13, 2019, 08:41:52 AM
A little heads-up for I-95 travelers (or locals) that might stop at a hotel or other business on US-264 Alternate in Wilson.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/raleigh-road-parkway-traffic-access-is-changing,189445
I'm getting nothing there but a survey blocking the article.

P.S.; I was at the Jameson Inn there in 2013.

LM117

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 15, 2019, 09:42:27 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 13, 2019, 08:41:52 AM

I'm getting nothing there but a survey blocking the article.

P.S.; I was at the Jameson Inn there in 2013.

I stayed at the Sleep Inn twice (2016 and 2017) when I was visiting friends in the area. I grew up in Fremont, a few miles south of Wilson. I'm supposed to head back down there next month, but at least this time I'm staying at a friend's house in Goldsboro, so that's money saved. :awesomeface:

Here's the article, BTW:

QuoteMotorists using Raleigh Road Parkway, or U.S. 264 Alternate, west of the Interstate 95 interchange between Wilson and Sims will soon see changes that could affect mobility in the area.

The N.C. Department of Transportation will implement a highway safety improvement project at Hayes Road, widening the Lamm Road intersection to add dedicated turning lanes on both sides and adding a "bulb-out"  near Lamm Road for trucks and large vehicles to make U-turns.

According to Andy Musselman, NCDOT Division 4 assistant resident engineer, the work began in June when crews began working on drainage ahead of the paving project.

"It's going to involve modifying some of the access points along Raleigh Road,"  Musselman said.

The N.C. Division of Highways has been evaluating the Hayes Place intersection for the past couple of years trying to screen it.

"It looks like it met criteria due to the number of frontal crashes in that area,"  Musselman said. "At Hayes Place, they are going to be turning that into a directional crossover, which means that you will be able to make left turns from 264 Alternate, but you won't be able to cross over, like from one side to the other on Hayes Place or to make lefts coming out of Hayes Place.

Motorists have noticed that orange safety barrels currently block traffic from going directly across 264 Alternate at Hayes Place.

"That will be sealed off so you won't be able to go straight across anymore,"  Musselman said.

There are several hotels and restaurants on either side of Hayes Place, including on the north side including Cracker Barrel, McDonald's, Hampton Inn and Suites, Red Roof Inn and Suites Wilson, Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham Wilson. On the south side are several businesses including Burger King, Country Inn and Suites, Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Wilson and Comfort Suites Wilson I-95.

Officials say modifying this access point could reduce the number of frontal collisions.

CHANGES AT LAMM ROAD

The current project calls for widening at the intersection at Lamm Road to install dedicated turn lanes on both sides to get onto U.S. 264 Alternate, going east or west.

Musselman said there is drainage work underway currently and other work at Lamm Road that is in coordination with the building of a new Chick-fil-A at the intersection's northwest corner.

"Another thing they are doing with this is upgrading some drainage and cleaning out some of the ditches that have been filling up over the years,"  Musselman said.

BULB-OUT

Several hundred feet west on U.S. 264 Alternate is another crossover area, and that will be turned into a dedicated U-turn lane for larger vehicles and trucks to make a U-turn from 264 Alternate West to 264 Alternate East.

The "bulb-out"  is mostly for trucks.

It's just going to be on one side of the road, so drivers would no longer be able to make a left turn or a U-turn coming from U.S. 264 East.

"It's an extra bit of asphalt there to allow trucks with the larger turning radius to be able to make the U-turn without having to go off onto the shoulder,"  Musselman said. "Since there is not a very wide median there, they have to add the extra asphalt on the outside."

After the project is finished this fall, folks coming out of Hayes Place will have to make a U-turn at Lamm Road. Motorists on the other side will have to make a U-turn at the I-95 South ramp.

D-Dey65

According to Google Maps, that Jameson is where the Red Roof Inn & Suites is now.

The night I'm talking about when I stayed there, I wanted to have dinner. But the Cracker Barrel was too filling, and I didn't want convenience store food or your standard fast food, so after I walked across US 264 Alternate, I stopped in a strip mall in front of the Country Inn Suites by Raddison which had a pizzeria run by a couple of Iranian-Americans. I had my pizza and during a conversation with them I mentioned that I was staying at the motel. They told me I should've ordered room service from them, but I didn't know about them until I arrived there.

After I got done, I checked back in my room, and sure enough, one of those Iranian-American pizza boys was delivering to another room at that motel. The guy remembered me as he was talking to the female clerk there and she said I should've ordered room service. He told her he said the same thing, but I reiterated that I didn't know about the place. Neither of them believed me, but I let it go, because as far as I was concerned, it was really no skin off my ass.

Anyway, this project looks only slightly safer than what they've got now.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 15, 2019, 07:46:28 PM
We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Verlanka

Quote from: NE2 on September 15, 2019, 08:58:23 PM
We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
You are certainly putting words his mouth.

sprjus4

Quote from: Verlanka on September 16, 2019, 05:08:16 AM

Just a way to game the system and get a higher posting count. I wouldn't be surprised if half of his posts are irrelevant to that topic.

qguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 16, 2019, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on September 16, 2019, 05:08:16 AM

Just a way to game the system and get a higher posting count. I wouldn't be surprised if half of his posts are irrelevant to that topic.

Often enough, perhaps, but in this case he was making a wry comment on D's story.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on September 15, 2019, 09:29:32 AM

Follow-up article covering the ceremony:

http://www.reflector.com/News/2019/09/17/Ceremony-honors-drive-of-Best-Jenkins.html

Notable tidbit:

QuoteThe road and bridge names are honorary, and won't be used in street addressing.

The Greenville Planning and Zoning Commission is scheduled to hold a public hearing at today's 6 p.m. meeting on a proposal to rename the section of highway between Memorial Boulevard and Dickinson Avenue, currently called Farmville Boulevard, to West 10th Street.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-17-section-closed-jones-county-bypass.aspx

QuotePOLLOCKSVILLE — A section of a Jones County bypass will be closed for about 12 hours this week so contract crews can place the final layer of asphalt on the road.

Between 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, U.S. 17 North Bypass from the intersection of U.S. 17, north of 10 Mile Fork Road, to U.S. 70 will be closed.

Northbound motorists wanting to return to U.S. 70 West, will continue straight at the stoplight at U.S. 17 Business and U.S. 17 Bypass for nearly 7 miles. Drivers will go under the U.S. 70 overpass and turn left at the light for U.S. 70 West.

Southbound motorists on U.S. 17 Business will take a left at the stoplight of U.S. 17 Business and U.S. 17 Bypass and make a U-turn to head back toward New Bern.

On Wednesday, drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commutes and slow down when they approach the work zone.

The overall project is more than 16 miles long, starting south of Belgrade and tying into the existing U.S. 17 Bypass around New Bern. This bypass will be a quicker route between Jacksonville and New Bern. Construction on this project began in October 2015 and is expected to be complete in November.

LM117

The new (albeit short) connector road between NC-55 and Talton Avenue in Mount Olive is open and has been named Pickle Road.

http://www.mountolivetribune.com/stories/towns-newest-road-is-a-real-pickle,62343?

Also in Mount Olive, the town Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on October 7 to discuss the NC-55/Bert Martin Road intersection.

http://www.mountolivetribune.com/stories/public-hearing-set-for-road-safety-concerns,62349?

LM117

Upcoming traffic shift beginning tomorrow on US-421 at the New Hanover/Pender county line.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-18-traffic-shift-highway-pender-new-hanover.aspx

And in unrelated news, NCDOT State Board of Transportation chairman Mike Fox was interviewed by the North State Journal last week regarding NCDOT's funding issues.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/09/landowner-suits-natural-disasters-put-dot-in-fiscal-hole/

LM117

NCDOT is aiming to reopen NC-12 on Ocracoke in November.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-19-ocracoke-road-repair-plan.aspx

And NCDOT is holding an informational meeting on September 26 in Rodanthe regarding the ongoing bridge project there.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-19-september-rodanthe-bridge-meeting.aspx

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: LM117 on September 18, 2019, 09:47:15 AM
The new (albeit short) connector road between NC-55 and Talton Avenue in Mount Olive is open and has been named Pickle Road.

That's not actually related to the brand of pickles, is it?

Edit: I guess if I actually read the article, it'd answer my question. And, yes, yes it is related.

BrianP

KEVIN_224

This happened along I-40 East in North Carolina. Story is from WLOS-TV (ABC) channel 13 of Asheville:

https://wlos.com/news/local/traffic-alert-i-40-east-closed-near-exit-53-after-crash?fbclid=IwAR32-tdzp17bVJX3tCzUVC1Y2V04c7HvgRVhHw5vwItOP1F5BOiR6BrVpbQ

A tractor trailer took out an entire overhead sign gantry. Yikes! :o

Alex

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 20, 2019, 02:59:13 PM
This happened along I-40 East in North Carolina. Story is from WLOS-TV (ABC) channel 13 of Asheville:

https://wlos.com/news/local/traffic-alert-i-40-east-closed-near-exit-53-after-crash?fbclid=IwAR32-tdzp17bVJX3tCzUVC1Y2V04c7HvgRVhHw5vwItOP1F5BOiR6BrVpbQ

A tractor trailer took out an entire overhead sign gantry. Yikes! :o

That was one of the few sign bridges with the old style lighting fixtures still in place.

LM117

Beginning next Wednesday, the southbound lanes of US-17 in Wilmington between Gordon Road and Station Road will close for 8 weeks.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-20-us-17-traffic-shift.aspx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.