News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Will VA 189 become extended US 258 Truck Bypass?

Started by roadman65, June 07, 2023, 02:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Now that the Blackwater River Bridge along VA 189 between the City of Suffolk and Southampton County is been replaced by VDOT, the current truck ban will, no doubt, be lifted along Route 189 that was in place because the 1940 built bridge was unable to support heavy loads. That ban also was why the current convoluted concurrency with US 258 along US 58 exists with present day VA 189 still existing.

Now that trucks will be able to once again use VA 189, I am assuming that VDOT will petition AASHTO to have US 258 now follow existing VA 189 in favor of that tedious US 58 concurrency. 

Does anyone know if that hypothesis of mine is a consideration among VDOT? If so another historical route will vanish as that particular route was already truncated due to the Franklin- Holland Bypass of US 58. Not that I’m weeping if it will, but it does make sense to renumber Route 189 and simplify travel for through US 258 traffic through Franklin.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2023, 02:58:39 AM
Now that the Blackwater River Bridge along VA 189 between the City of Suffolk and Southampton County is been replaced by VDOT, the current truck ban will, no doubt, be lifted along Route 189 that was in place because the 1940 built bridge was unable to support heavy loads. That ban also was why the current convoluted concurrency with US 258 along US 58 exists with present day VA 189 still existing.

Now that trucks will be able to once again use VA 189, I am assuming that VDOT will petition AASHTO to have US 258 now follow existing VA 189 in favor of that tedious US 58 concurrency. 

Does anyone know if that hypothesis of mine is a consideration among VDOT? If so another historical route will vanish as that particular route was already truncated due to the Franklin- Holland Bypass of US 58. Not that I'm weeping if it will, but it does make sense to renumber Route 189 and simplify travel for through US 258 traffic through Franklin.

This could've been added to the Virginia thread. Didn't need its own. Plus, it's theoretical, so not sure it even belongs on this side of the forum. Maybe it should be in the fictitious highways side.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

It's iffy. Fact is bridge is open that effected the alignment of an existing route before it was closed.

Yes it's a proposal, but I asked the question if the state engineers considered this already? 

It seems logical and has merit the idea for anyone official to think about.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2023, 02:58:39 AM

Does anyone know if that hypothesis of mine is a consideration among VDOT? If so another historical route will vanish as that particular route was already truncated due to the Franklin- Holland Bypass of US 58. Not that I'm weeping if it will, but it does make sense to renumber Route 189 and simplify travel for through US 258 traffic through Franklin.

VA 189 still runs to Holland with US 58, though it is extremely poorly posted on its US 58 overlay.

It is possible VA 189 gets replaced by US 258 but could remain on the road between US 58 and 58 Bus in Holland.  It could also replace VA 272 (VA 189's old routing).

The benefits of the project did not indicate being able to reroute US 258 as one of them (though it is completely logical to do so).
https://virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/south_quay_bridge.asp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.