News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

21 State + 1 Province Trip

Started by leroys73, October 06, 2014, 07:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

My doctor said my eye (I had a 6th nerve palsy) was good to go so I went, 21 States and 1 Province in 9 travel days, 13 days total, for 5200 miles. The next morning I saddled up on my Made in the USA (Marysville, Ohio) Honda VTX 1300R to visit relatives near Cincinnati.  Mostly interstate with light rain the first day to West Memphis where I stayed in a KOA cabin. Then I took the scenic route to Murray, KY for a stop at the Hannigan Motorsports, makers of trike kits and side cars,  before continuing to Cincinnati using some interstate.  I found out that Tennessee does not waste money on road signs once on the secondary roads, great riding though.   

Three days there and off to follow US 62 to its end in Niagara, NY. I made a stop at the American Motorcyclist National Hall of Fame and Museum and a stop at the first successfully commercial oil well, Drakes Well, PA.  I camped near by. The museum was very good. This was my last night to camp. I was too lazy and pressed for time to set up a tent even in mostly good weather.

Since I had seen the falls many years before I decided to save the view for when I was with my wonderful wife. Up to Lake Ontario then down to the famous NY Thruway to make time. Haven't been on it in almost 50 years. A hotel stop near Syracuse then to Rome by the scenic route where an aunt used to live.  I visited there as a kid.

Up through the Adirondacks to Saint Albans, VT. A buddy and I were in Saint Albans in 1975 on one of our month long odysseys. We were in our mid 20's. We knew the history of the Saint Albans Raid in October 1864 by the Confederates. It was the farthest north any Confederate raid had taken place. They came in through Canada, robbed three banks, but were caught before getting back into Canada. This time I arrived a day before there 150th year celebration but did not plan to stay. However, a minor electrical problem (I fixed it) on my motorcycle delayed me enough that I said why not stay another day.  The folks there are terrific people. I enjoyed the stay except for the minor problem.

From Saint Albans it was all scenic roads across VT, NH, to ME then up to QC. I must say the Canadian border patrol are sure low keyed compared to the US. Every time I have re entered the US it is like an interrogation. I then turned south through ME back to NH where I stopped to shop at Whitehorse Gear in Conway, NH.  I ended up spending the night south of Conway. My plan was to get as far south as I could the next day. 

I got a late start but headed south to MA, RI, CT.  I had to go to Danbury, CT as my grandfather's last name is Danbury and it is said his family helped to found Danbury as hat makers. True? but makes a good story. I continued on to Scranton, PA.

After getting fuel near Scranton, PA I ran into a blinding rain storm plus nasty construction and it was getting dark. I decided to cut the day short, return to the exit I got fuel as I knew there were hotels. I took the first hotel. I did not care if it was above my class.  I am so glad I did.  I wasn't sure I'd ever see another minute of my life. 18 wheelers were even slowed to a crawl.

I am what we call a Long Distance Motorcycle Rider being a member of the Iron Butt Association, a loose organization promoting safe long distance riding, so long distances is not new for me. I needed to get home. The next day was to be good travel weather south towards Montgomery, AL.  So I figured why not do a Saddle Sore 1000, 1000 miles in under 24 hrs, to there. I got away late so I figured on settling for a Bun Burner 1500, 1500 mi in under 36 hrs. 

So I got witness signatures and off I went not really pushing it but keeping with the speed limits. On these rides I usually have my fuel stops planned to the exit but this time I said I'll just "wing" it.  Although I made a side trip into NJ for its "high point" I discovered when I stopped before dark at about the 800 mile mark for fuel I realized I was only about 200 miles from Montgomery. I knew I could make it to the 1000 mile mark with no trouble even if I don't like riding after dark. 

I made it to south of Montgomery in about 16 hours from Scranton so I had a SS1000 in the bag.  I hit a corner of GA on the way.  I even messed up twice on my route changes losing 30 to 45 minutes.  After getting the required receipts I tried to check into a hotel. There was a problem finding a room, a baseball tournament and a convention in town.  Comfort Inn came through at a reasonable price and I got my witnesses for the ride.

I figured the next morning I could easily do the 500 miles for the BB1500 so I headed at somewhat leisurely pace with some scenic and some interstate to the panhandle of Florida. I wanted to say my VTX had been in Florida. I made it to the panhandle and then Mobile in good time.  From there I headed up to Hattiesburg, MS then Jackson, MS where I'd pick up I 20 for the home stretch. Before hitting the road I had a bit long lunch and conversation with an interesting fellow.

Cruising across MS and LA at the speed limit I arrived in Shreveport with over the 500 miles needed so I asked a highway patrolman to sign my witness form. He gladly did. I chatted with some fellows in a gas station about all the activity at the air base. Seeing those B-52s land was a sight.  Where I lived in Oklahoma we used to have C-5s fly over after they took off. Since they are so large they seem so close.  I also got to see several A-10s take off. I like airplanes, especially military.

I saddled up again for the run home.  When I hit the Texas line I computed I would be almost at the second 1000 mile day when I got home with time to spare. When I got to "Big D" I called home to tell my boss, aka, wife, I might have to run up to Oklahoma a few miles to get the second SS1000 so don't wait up for me. 

This I did.  I fueled in Lewisville, 3 miles from home, then up to almost Davis, OK, north of Ardmore, OK, to get a required fuel receipt for my turn around point.  I then headed home.  I ran over something in the road that appeared to be a large brown rock.  When I got home there was hair on the side of my tires.  I guess it was an animal. I am glad I only hit the edge of it. That is why I am not big on night riding. 

No problem with witnesses at the home front. I didn't have any trouble staying awake but I could not have gone any farther.  The next day I realized since I did two 1000 mile days back to back it qualified me for a SS2000, 2000mi in under 48 hrs. 

So in 13 days and 5200 miles I crossed into 21 States: TX, AR, TN, KY, OH, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, WV, VA, AL, GA, FL, MS, LA, OK. Plus 1 Province, Quebec, was entered.  My VTX has been in 46 States and 4 Provinces in 6.5 years and 94,000 miles. Plus I have now clinched US 62 and added a SS2000 to my certificates.                       

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

agentsteel53

I would imagine that, out west, it would be easily doable to travel 1500 miles in 24 hours.

I've done it in a car, but ... yeah, comfort and all that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

leroys73

1500 in 24 hours is called a Bun Burner Gold and considered extreme.  It is difficult anywhere.  Have to average 62.5 mph then factor in fuel stops.  In spirit we are not suppose to exceed the speed limit. Haven't done the Gold yet. I am only 65 and a half so I will get it done.  I get about 200 miles maybe more with my small auxiliary tank.  Even the guys who are real hard core with over 300 mile fuel range say the BBG is difficult.  Fuel stops, food, and nature breaks have to be very short.  Food is usually eaten while moving. Potty breaks take a special technique.  Done SS1000 and BB1500 (36 hrs) out west and east. West a little easier because of some higher speed limits in some areas and less traffic in places. I actually have less trouble staying awake on a motorcycle than I do in a car.  I done it several times in a car too.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.