News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Damn, that was quick.  Now westbound new signage:

84WB-Exit39-1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

84WB-Exit36-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

All other signage has been replaced on I-84 and can be viewed in my I-84 album.

abqtraveler

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 08:40:46 PM

It looks like they left plenty of room in the exit tabs for Exits 38 and 39 to accommodate renumbering to mile-based exit numbers (these will probably be suffixed exits since they're close to one another). Anyone know when I-84 exits will be renumbered?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bob7374

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 05, 2020, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 08:40:46 PM

It looks like they left plenty of room in the exit tabs for Exits 38 and 39 to accommodate renumbering to mile-based exit numbers (these will probably be suffixed exits since they're close to one another). Anyone know when I-84 exits will be renumbered?
Right now, it appears I-84 will be the second to last interstate to be renumbered in 2028, just prior to I-95 in 2029. See Reply #3033.

jp the roadgeek

I got shots the other morning of the EB Exit 35 ones, but seeing that I've driven maybe 50 miles in the past month, the windshield was a little dirty.  Surprised they left the Exit Now for Slater Rd and the 1 mile EB for Route 4 as bridge mounts, as CTDOT seemed to be moving away from that (but then again, they were moving away from full chorded truss gantries too).  Looks like the SR 508 signage is still the old signage, and most of the CT 72 signage is still older but going to be replaced and renumbered (there's still Phase III signage for Corbin Ave).  As for the I-84 numbers in the area, the new numbers should be

CT 72 WEST: 49A
Crooked St (EB) / New Britain Ave (WB): 49B (although the WB exit is on CT 72 but will be renumbered 33B when CT 72 exits are)
CT 72 EAST: 50
Slater Rd: 51
Fienemann Rd: 53
US 6 WEST (WB ONLY): 54A
CT 4: 54 (EB), 54B (WB)
CT 9: 55
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

What's the story on this sign? CT-9 NORTH is button copy. The rest is demountable. Stanley St on-ramp. New Britain. There's no 72 scarring so was it blank until the road opened?
Demountable copy was used from about 1981-1984.

[/url]

This non-reflective sign on Broad St in Hartford fell down.  So I'm sure it'll be hauled away soon.  That leaves 8 NRBC signs left in the state.
[/url]

[/url]
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 09, 2020, 03:37:30 PM
This non-reflective sign on Broad St in Hartford fell down.  So I'm sure it'll be hauled away soon.  That leaves 8 NRBC signs left in the state.

My God, man, pick that sign up! I'll pay you for it!
(fully realizes it wouldn't fit in my own car either)

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 09, 2020, 03:37:30 PM
What's the story on this sign? CT-9 NORTH is button copy. The rest is demountable. Stanley St on-ramp. New Britain. There's no 72 scarring so was it blank until the road opened?
Demountable copy was used from about 1981-1984.

[/url]

Simple.  When that portion of what is now CT 9 (between CT 72 and CT 175/today's Exit 29 (NB) ) opened, it was signed as "TO 175" from Rt 72.  In 1990, CT 9 was extended west of the Berlin Tpke, replacing CT 72, and up to New Britain, then via the then-unsigned expressway to end at CT 175.  CT 175 would be its northern terminus until 1992 when the rest of the expressway to CT 9 was completed.

Most likely the sign in question above read "TO 175/NEWINGTON", with the "TO" being the same style letters as "Newington", and a square slap-on shield, non-button copy.  Or it could have just been blank the whole time, in anticipation of being signed for I-291 or something else. 

Several signs in the New Britain area have the mixed "button copy/demountable", which means they date back to when CT 72 passed N/S (instead of just E/W).  Here's an example on CT 9 South at Exit 25: 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6580064,-72.7730179,3a,15y,153.43h,106.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPSdgmVTQlpRI7rENDYij7A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

On an unrelated note, while watching one of my newly acquired railfan DVDs, I grabbed a shot of the old style entrance ramp signs that graced I-91 in the Windsor/Windsor Locks era, pre-widening (pre-1990):
20200609_181552 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I find it interesting that no direction was shown on these signs.  The shadow in the image is that of the Dexter Coffin Bridge at I-91 Exit 42 in Windsor Locks.  Just past the shadow is the ramps to/from I-91 South at Exit 42.  The entrance sign reads:
Hartford
   <--

I'm not sure if onramps east of the river got this treatment, as that was the first section widened, being completed lt 80s/c 1990.

Mergingtraffic

Shady jay
I'm guessing it was blank except for Newington as there's no scarring.

CT used to have BGS NEXT LEFT/RIGHT on side roads before an entrance ramp. Now they don't. Heck, with the CT-8 contract they don't even have "enter here"  BGSs with an arrow.

They're getting cheap with extruded aluminum signs.

shadyjay

But yet, the southern CT 8 sign replacement project restores full extruded aluminum signs to the onramps.  The CT 9 northern 2 projects are the same way.  Let's hope this continues, 'cause I can't see those sheet aluminum onramp signs lasting too long! 

Mergingtraffic

CT-8 Shelton-Waterbury signing contract update:

Driving through today I noticed new NB signage on a gantry that I thought was supposed to leave the button copy up.  The gantry holding the Exit 27 1/4 mile and Exit 28 1 mile signs and Exit 26 SB sign had the NB signs replaced this past week.  The SB sign was not and is still button copy.  I don't remember that being in the contract. 

The Exit 27 1/4 mile was burnt last year b/c of a truck fire but the Eixt 28 sign was not damaged.

RobbieL2415

Update for the I-91 COB project:

-The new center median for I-91 is being installed.
-The first sign mounts are being poured and posts being erected.
-Grading and initial paving for the widened I-91 NB is done

KEVIN_224

I sometimes wonder if a "SOUTH" sign should be on this sign in Cromwell? This is at the northern terminus of Route 217.

I took a photo, in part, because the traffic lights were out. I don't think it was the weather, although some people DID have thunderstorms on this day.

MikeCL

I sent a email to CT DOT for whatever reason (I waited about 2 weeks) WPML750 the HAR transmitter off exit 9 NB of 95 has been transmitting without anyone speaking but the sign in Darien going SB will flash to tune in.. Normally I tune into it every now and then just to see how the traffic is.. Lets see how fast they fix it.

shadyjay

Those signs at the 372/217 jct I don't believe ever had "SOUTH" on the 217 sign, in either direction.  They were put up when the bridge just south of this intersection on CT 217 was rebuilt/widened.  Turn lanes were added at that time.  I used to live in the condo complex just south of here for a few years and the bridge was rebuilt/widened.... after I moved out!  Figures.

Sending an e-mail to DOT does work.  I sent one when brand new signs in my home town were replaced with the wrong shield and arrows, and the next day, crews were out fixing them.  I do need to send them an e-mail about the replacement of this sign on CT 9 North in Middletown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5567015,-72.6426253,3a,39.5y,336.36h,83.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVOxq3hEdBKYj_dF8ZnpX9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The merge sign was replaced with the "lane added/no merge" sign, which is clearly not proper for this location.  It implies traffic entering CT 9 North from the ramp at right has its own lane.  It actually has an extremely short acceleration lane, which ends before that brown sign in the distance.  This ramp has been the scene of numerous accidents over the years.  A relative of mine had his vehicle totalled in an accident here within the past year. 

Furthermore, it will be interesting to see, if the "latest plan" to remove the traffic lights just ahead on Route 9, causes a reroute of CT 17, as traffic entering here would have to exit in 1/2 mile on the left in order to stay on CT 17.  It could be rerouted via So Main St/Main St.  And hopefully, a longer acceleration lane at this troublesome onramp is in the cards.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: shadyjay on June 29, 2020, 09:56:36 PM
Those signs at the 372/217 jct I don't believe ever had "SOUTH" on the 217 sign, in either direction.  They were put up when the bridge just south of this intersection on CT 217 was rebuilt/widened.  Turn lanes were added at that time.  I used to live in the condo complex just south of here for a few years and the bridge was rebuilt/widened.... after I moved out!  Figures.

The Mattabesset River bridge is stamped as 2004. A Middletown maintained walking/bike path is under it as well. I also find it funny how the Cromwell/Middletown town line sign is maybe 100 feet south of where it should be (the middle of the river). Once past that is the light for Eastlake and Westlake Drives. Going straight starts to take you up the slow climb of Higby Mountain. Westlake Drive is condo and apartment hell. There's not one single private home on that road that I could see. I-91 is also very close by to the west.

MikeCL

Why is CT so against flashing yellow arrow lights? I came back from the outter banks 2 weeks ago and I loved them no trying to beat the light or having to sit at a red left arrow when I have no cars coming my way.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeCL on June 30, 2020, 08:23:46 AM
Why is CT so against flashing yellow arrow lights? I came back from the outter banks 2 weeks ago and I loved them no trying to beat the light or having to sit at a red left arrow when I have no cars coming my way.
Two things I can think of:

1. Speed control.
2. Prevention of accidents involving turning vehicles.

Alps

NJDOT also doesn't use them. If you see one in NJ it's a county install.

Duke87

Why is CT so against flashing yellow arrow lights?

They're a newfangled thing and this is the land of steady habits. Connecticut only started using red arrows a few years ago after decades of them existing elsewhere.

CT has been using doghouses for sometimes protected/sometimes permissive left turns since forever. Functionally speaking, this works just as well as a FYA unless you have multiple left turn lanes or a lagging protected left in the opposite direction (yellow trap). Neither is particularly common in CT.

That said yes, when one of those situations does exist, the currently preferred solution seems to be to just make the left turn protected-only.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Duke87 on June 30, 2020, 08:53:02 PM
Why is CT so against flashing yellow arrow lights?

They're a newfangled thing and this is the land of steady habits. Connecticut only started using red arrows a few years ago after decades of them existing elsewhere.

CT has been using doghouses for sometimes protected/sometimes permissive left turns since forever. Functionally speaking, this works just as well as a FYA unless you have multiple left turn lanes or a lagging protected left in the opposite direction (yellow trap). Neither is particularly common in CT.

That said yes, when one of those situations does exist, the currently preferred solution seems to be to just make the left turn protected-only.
Except I've seen a lot of doghouse lefts go to protected-only.j

We also impliment some kind of presence-based automation at every installation. It used to be in-road magnetic field based. Now all of them are being installed with a combination of magnetic field and video monitoring.

sharkyfour

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 30, 2020, 09:03:09 PM
We also impliment some kind of presence-based automation at every installation. It used to be in-road magnetic field based. Now all of them are being installed with a combination of magnetic field and video monitoring.

I think the magnetic field monitoring is becoming a thing of the past.  I've noticed as they do repaving projects, they'll retrofit the intersections with the video detection systems and not replace the magnetic loops.  There's actually two intersections near me where they didn't retrofit the intersections with video detection since the whole signal was up for replacement after a paving project in 2017 or 2018.  One intersection got video detection in the new signal last year; the other intersection they just installed the footings for the new masts.  That second intersection is definitely just running on timing, no detection, and the timed cycles are AWFUL.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: sharkyfour on June 30, 2020, 10:46:48 PM

I think the magnetic field monitoring is becoming a thing of the past.  I've noticed as they do repaving projects, they'll retrofit the intersections with the video detection systems and not replace the magnetic loops.  There's actually two intersections near me where they didn't retrofit the intersections with video detection since the whole signal was up for replacement after a paving project in 2017 or 2018.  One intersection got video detection in the new signal last year; the other intersection they just installed the footings for the new masts.  That second intersection is definitely just running on timing, no detection, and the timed cycles are AWFUL.

Agreed. And I HATE it.  Used to be that a light with a protected left in one direction but not the other would only trip the turn arrow if there was a car in the lane to turn left.  Now, it trips EVERY time, even if there is no car in the lane.  It's as if there is payola between the DOT and the fuel industry to cost you more gas while you're stuck idling longer at lights for no reason.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MikeCL

I dont understand why they just leave the light like it is and forget about it.. why don't they adjust the timing as more people come on the road.. I know a light that stays green for only 6 seconds which all it does is entices people to run the light because they know it short and takes another 3 mins to reset.

Also looks like the HAR is down state wide? In Fairfield I don't hear anything at all.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeCL on July 01, 2020, 03:05:10 PM
I dont understand why they just leave the light like it is and forget about it.. why don't they adjust the timing as more people come on the road.. I know a light that stays green for only 6 seconds which all it does is entices people to run the light because they know it short and takes another 3 mins to reset.
Like I said a couple posts ago, its to prevent speeding.

sharkyfour

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 01, 2020, 01:44:41 AM
Quote from: sharkyfour on June 30, 2020, 10:46:48 PM

Agreed. And I HATE it.  Used to be that a light with a protected left in one direction but not the other would only trip the turn arrow if there was a car in the lane to turn left.  Now, it trips EVERY time, even if there is no car in the lane.  It's as if there is payola between the DOT and the fuel industry to cost you more gas while you're stuck idling longer at lights for no reason.

Seriously.  The one that really gets under my skin right now is US 6 at Airport Road in North Windham.  The protected lefts when nobody's there and the timing in general are just horrible.  The one down the street at Walmart wasn't as bad while it was on timing-only for about a year.  But we're approaching 2 years as timing-only at Airport Road now...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.