News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

I saw on a Florida road one time that had a license plate looked like this: AB-12-34. Can anyone explain what the number is for?

formulanone

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on October 13, 2014, 04:06:17 PM
I saw on a Florida road one time that had a license plate looked like this: AB-12-34. Can anyone explain what the number is for?

Probably a personal plate; most issues have no dashes or only one space by default, but they can be specified for vanity purposes.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on October 13, 2014, 02:56:24 PMYou'd love NY's Empire Gold plates

You would be punctilious in assuming that.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2014, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: formulanone on July 16, 2014, 11:00:26 AM

Quote from: Big John on July 16, 2014, 09:49:51 AM
^^ In GA, if you switch counties, you just get a new county sticker to put on your plate.  If you don't want to have your county shown you can instead show your religious affirmation by placing a "In God We Trust" sticker over the county name.

Florida does the same - I'm not sure if you can still pick "Sunshine State" in place of your county, either.

Wait, I don't follow here. Florida plates I've seen with the county name pretty much always have the county name embossed in the plate as raised characters (so, for example, if your plate had raised characters for plate number "ABC-123," underneath that on the bottom edge it might have raised characters reading, say, "BREVARD"). Are you saying if you move to another county they just give you a sticker to apply over the embossed county name? It's the embossed nature of it that had me puzzled and thinking you'd have to get new plates issued.

Edited to add: From what I found on the Florida DMV's website (or whatever they call their DMV....a Google search led me there), you can still get "Sunshine State." See brochure: http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf  But it doesn't answer my question about moving to a different county if you get the county-name plate.
You can go to any tax collector office in the state of Florida to renew your tags. The county you go to will send the money to your home county. You have the option to choose county name, sunshine state or in God we trust. Miami-Dade does not have county name tags anymore. If you opt for the county name it will be for whatever county you are in.  I live in Clay County and St Johns has a tax collector office open 1 Saturday a month.. Very convenient if you work Monday-friday so we have St John's tags on one car. Renewals don't require new county name tags issued. We used to live in Duval and still have Duval tags. I think at one point in time after moving a new tag was issued but no longer. Also if both dealer goes to tax collector you get tags from wherever they go

CentralCAroadgeek

Rhode Island has unveiled a new design for their general plates:

Looks a bit similar to Vermont's plates, but the blue in these plates makes them distant enough from Vermont.

PHLBOS

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on October 20, 2014, 09:29:51 AM
Rhode Island has unveiled a new design for their general plates:

Looks a bit similar to Vermont's plates, but the blue in these plates makes them distant enough from Vermont.
That color scheme reminds me a little bit of the old CT plates (dark blue w/white lettering).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jwolfer

Florida was supposed to get new tags this year. I know they were canceled or delayed but there seems to be a news blackout on the  issue

Pete from Boston

Hot damn!  I just saw a shiny, perfect, convincingly new Massachusetts green-on-white plate!  It was a low number, just a single 2016 sticker, unblemished in any way, with simply the embossed "MASSACHUSETTS" and the number.  No front plate, as is the case with green plates.  I tried to get a pic (I was stopped in traffic next to them) but the light was bad so there's no discerning its pristine condition. 

WTF?

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 19, 2014, 06:47:23 PM
Hot damn!  I just saw a shiny, perfect, convincingly new Massachusetts green-on-white plate!  It was a low number, just a single 2016 sticker, unblemished in any way, with simply the embossed "MASSACHUSETTS" and the number.  No front plate, as is the case with green plates.  I tried to get a pic (I was stopped in traffic next to them) but the light was bad so there's no discerning its pristine condition. 

WTF?

Believe it or not, I've actually heard of people restoring their green on white plates to pristine condition.  As I noted in my previous posting, this is so they can keep their registration number.  May not seem like a big deal to most people, but if you've had the same registration since 1976 (first year of single white on green plates) and would have to give it up if you turned the plates in, I could see doing that.  Also, a faded or worn plate is an automatic fail on Massachusetts state inspection, so that might be another incentive.

Just my two cents here.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

This was on my mental list of potential explanations (just above "lousy attempt at undercover cop disguise").

It being a low number plate, and with those having the odd following they do, it's as reasonable possibility as I can think of.

Somewhere I have a photo of a green or red plate with clearly non-standard lettering (wrong character width, not terrible but clearly different enough that it stood out after a lifetime of seeing the correct ones).  I wonder if it was a fabrication so someone could retain their old plate.

jwolfer

What happened to Florida having new general issue tags. I saw a news story about it being canceled due to some problems with vendor being chosen in place of the prisons. But I can jot find any more information. Anyone have insight

formulanone

Not sure how accurate this is, since it's almost two years old.

Perhaps they're trying to find a vendor in which nobody in office is directly related to... :rolleyes:

Quote from: NBC 6 Miami
The agency initially wanted to outsource the manufacture and distribution of the tags, now made in state prisons and distributed by county tax collectors, to a private vendor to cut costs.

The department's executive director, Julie Jones, dropped that idea and said it was because of pressure from the tax collectors and two Cabinet members, Attorney General Pam Bondi and Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater.

You can order SAMPLE plates in Florida for $28 each. Didn't know that!

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2014, 07:26:56 PMBelieve it or not, I've actually heard of people restoring their green on white plates to pristine condition.  As I noted in my previous posting, this is so they can keep their registration number.  May not seem like a big deal to most people, but if you've had the same registration since 1976 (first year of single white on green plates) and would have to give it up if you turned the plates in, I could see doing that.  Also, a faded or worn plate is an automatic fail on Massachusetts state inspection, so that might be another incentive.
My mother has had her green MA plate since 1992 (that may have been the last year the RMV issued that design) and it's still in very good shape.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

New animal welfare license plate ready for the road [Delaware]

QuoteThe newly resigned animal welfare license plate gives animal lovers a way to publically demonstrate their passion for animals and support the state's spay and neuter initiatives.

The plate sells for $50 at the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles, with $35 of each sale going to the Animal Welfare License Plate Fund.

QuoteThe plate was designed by Delaware artist Andy Lendway, who won the Delaware Division of Public Health's Office of Animal Welfare (OAW) First State Paw Draw Contest.

This isn't the first license plate contest Lendway has won. Several years ago the free-lance illustrator and artist, designed the farm lands plate. His resume also includes designing the Kraft barbecue sauce label and includes clients ranging from "TV Guide" to the National Hockey League and KISS.

Pete from Boston

I'm seeing a lot of five-digit, all-numerical license plates in Massachusetts lately.  Do these denote something in particular, or is this part of the natural progression of number sequences?

kphoger

I believe five-numeral plates in Massachusetts would all be reserve plates, meaning a person gets to keep his long-time license plate number even when new plate formats come out. Strange that you would start seeing a lot of them all of a sudden.

Perhaps someone who actually lives there could correct me if I'm wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2015, 11:31:27 PM
I believe five-numeral plates in Massachusetts would all be reserve plates, meaning a person gets to keep his long-time license plate number even when new plate formats come out. Strange that you would start seeing a lot of them all of a sudden.

Perhaps someone who actually lives there could correct me if I'm wrong.

No need, you are correct.  Plates with five characters are "reserved" and plates with less than five characters are issued periodically by lottery, but are also "reserved."  They will maintain their registration numbers if the Commonwealth decides to issue new plates, and can be deeded or left in wills.

The "low-number" plate in Pete's example would be re-issued with the same registration number in the current "Spirit of America" series if it didn't pass inspection at some point.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

Interesting.  I have seen at least five five-numbers plates in the past month or so.  Could be dumb luck.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2014, 07:26:56 PM
Believe it or not, I've actually heard of people restoring their green on white plates to pristine condition.

As have I.  I've also seen some attempts with, let's say, less than stellar results.  I saw one a few days ago where the white was a flat paint without any reflectivity.  The correct white paint is, I believe, what some used to call "metal-flake."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

Got my first look at the new Kansas sunflower vanity plate. I like it very much!

It looks better in real life. Especially on the sweet sports car it was on.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

apeman33

Are they going to be limited to just five characters or is the idea that plates that have five characters or fewer offset to the right so the sunflower is visible? I ask partly because if I ever got a personalized plate, I know what I want and that word, if available, has six letters.

kphoger

I don't remember the exact serial number I saw (just the full words it intended to convey), but it had to be at least six letters. So I'd say it must be full format, just like previous ones. I can only assume the mockup was done like that so the viewer could see the flower in full.
Male pronouns, please.

route56

I've seen a few of the new vanity plates floating around. Yes, I do believe the vanity plate text is centered and embossed (as opposed to a screened "flat" plate)

* route56 should be getting a call from the county treasurer's office soon about re-upping on his "ROUTE56" vanity plate.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

OCGuy81

This place seems to be the best fit for this question.

Is Texas the only state that doesn't apply stickers to its license plates?  I actually think the windshield decal is a good idea.  Was it meant to prevent people from stealing stickers? (I usually cross the ones on my plate with an exacto befor applying)

The drawback I imagine is that it's harder for law enforcement to detect expired plates if behind a car.

signalman

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 21, 2015, 03:42:52 PM
This place seems to be the best fit for this question.

Is Texas the only state that doesn't apply stickers to its license plates?  I actually think the windshield decal is a good idea.  Was it meant to prevent people from stealing stickers? (I usually cross the ones on my plate with an exacto befor applying)

The drawback I imagine is that it's harder for law enforcement to detect expired plates if behind a car.
No.  My home state of New Jersey no longer uses plate stickers, neither does New York nor Connecticut.  DC stopped issuing plate stickers too, while not a state, they do have vehicle registrations.  They are the only 4 that are coming to mind off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a couple others.  As for law enforcement, they can run a plate through their on board computer quite quickly and determine whether it's valid or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.