News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Arizona Coyotes players apparently told team moving to Salt Lake

Started by elsmere241, April 12, 2024, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 19, 2024, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2024, 11:09:52 AMHere's the Delta Center in Salt Lake City during an LA Kings preseason game last year. From what I understand, the NHL team will likely close off the seats at either end of the upper level because you can't see the goal at your end of the ice from up there.

This is similar to the situation at the Footprint Center in Phoenix (America West Arena at the time) that prevented the Coyotes from remaining there in 1998.

American West was by far the better venue to attend compared to Glendale Arena.  The seating at America West raised more abruptly and had way better views.  America West was also way more loud and lively. 

triplemultiplex

Well at least it snows in Utah.  That's my only criteria for who gets hockey teams.  :-P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

It snows in Arizona also.  I was stuck up on the Mogollon Rim in Show Low for three days one time after being snow bound in a hotel there. I've even seen it snow on the mountains in Phoenix a couple times.

1995hoo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 23, 2024, 12:40:16 PMWell at least it snows in Utah.  That's my only criteria for who gets hockey teams.  :-P

It snowed in Miami in 1977, so I guess the Panthers are safe.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2024, 12:47:31 PMIt snows in Arizona also.  I was stuck up on the Mogollon Rim in Show Low for three days one time after being snow bound in a hotel there. I've even seen it snow on the mountains in Phoenix a couple times.

The last time I saw snow in Phoenix (specifically, Ahwatukee) was January 2007.  The last time I saw it in Mesa was February 2013.  When I worked in north Scottsdale (1997-2002), there were 2 or 3 times I got to work and there was about 1/2 inch of snow on the ground each time.  So it does happen on rare occasions.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

JayhawkCO

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 23, 2024, 03:23:14 PMSaw this pic on Twitter and really liked it.

Is that an official proposal?  Last I heard, they will be called just "Utah" and will determine their final nickname/logo/trademarks after the 2024-25 season.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Flint1979

That's a pretty small metro area to have both an NBA and NHL team.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 23, 2024, 11:21:08 PMIs that an official proposal?  Last I heard, they will be called just "Utah" and will determine their final nickname/logo/trademarks after the 2024-25 season.

Nope. Just a fan mockup.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 07:11:17 AMThat's a pretty small metro area to have both an NBA and NHL team.

Yep. The next smallest metropolitan area that has both a NBA and NHL team is Denver. Salt Lake is the 46th largest metro area...Denver is 19th.

They are already the second smallest metro area in the U.S. to have either an NBA and NHL team - Buffalo is the only one smaller. Winnipeg is as well if you include Canada.

Max Rockatansky

Heh, I just noticed how close Fresno is in those rankings to Salt Lake City.  Nobody would ever consider moving a major sports franchise here. 

hotdogPi

By drawing polygons, I'm getting about 2.6 million for Salt Lake City and 2.1 million for Fresno (includes Merced but not Modesto or Bakersfield), although the numbers are from 2015.

https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/popest/gpw-v4/
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 08:59:36 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 07:11:17 AMThat's a pretty small metro area to have both an NBA and NHL team.

Yep. The next smallest metropolitan area that has both a NBA and NHL team is Denver. Salt Lake is the 46th largest metro area...Denver is 19th.

They are already the second smallest metro area in the U.S. to have either an NBA and NHL team - Buffalo is the only one smaller. Winnipeg is as well if you include Canada.
Yep. I was wondering what the smallest market to have both the NBA and NHL was and my first thought was Denver actually.

And your second thought here I also figured they were one of the smaller NBA markets just off the top of my head without looking anything up.

Flint1979

Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 09:25:51 AMBy drawing polygons, I'm getting about 2.6 million for Salt Lake City and 2.1 million for Fresno (includes Merced but not Modesto or Bakersfield), although the numbers are from 2015.

https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/popest/gpw-v4/
I went even further into it and Utah as a state only has 3.3 million people which is roughly the population of the Denver Metro area (currently the smallest market to have both the NBA and NHL). A state is of course going to cover a much larger land area that a metro area.

mgk920

Yes, it normally snows in northern Arizona, the I-40 corridor (Flagstaff area), but not in the Sonoran Desert (Phoenix area).  PHX is normally one of the, if not the hottest metros in the contiguous 48.

Mike

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.