News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegeet

Finally. I-49 is open.
Quote from: O Tamandua on September 29, 2021, 11:19:39 AM
From the "Build I-49" FB page - hope this image shows up - that hulk of a structure was there forever without signage at the Pineville split:

I thought they still used clearview instead of Highway Gothic? Or are they simultaneous?

jbnv

Quote from: Thegeet on October 01, 2021, 10:05:57 AM
I thought they still used clearview instead of Highway Gothic? Or are they simultaneous?

I wasn't aware that Missouri ever used Clearview.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

razorback0308

I drove northbound from Springdale to the first Hwy 72 exit (exit 284). When northbound motorists get off at exit 93 (Walton Blvd), they are funneled down to the new SPUI. Now I want to know the plan for the one-lane exit ramp that's been used the past year or so.

Are they tearing that bridge out? I believe with a few tweaks it could be used for the Razorback Greenway connecting Bentonville to Lake Bella Vista. Has anybody heard anything?

Thegeet

Quote from: jbnv on October 01, 2021, 10:17:19 AM
Quote from: Thegeet on October 01, 2021, 10:05:57 AM

I wasn't aware that Missouri ever used Clearview.
Oops. I thought this was Arkansas. NVM then.

MikieTimT

Quote from: razorback0308 on October 01, 2021, 10:48:41 AM
I drove northbound from Springdale to the first Hwy 72 exit (exit 284). When northbound motorists get off at exit 93 (Walton Blvd), they are funneled down to the new SPUI. Now I want to know the plan for the one-lane exit ramp that's been used the past year or so.

Are they tearing that bridge out? I believe with a few tweaks it could be used for the Razorback Greenway connecting Bentonville to Lake Bella Vista. Has anybody heard anything?

The Razorback Greenway crosses I-49 in a tunnel just a few dozen yards from the box culverts with the creek crossing.  They still need to reconstruct the actual Greenway connection as it was tore out during construction.  I haven't seen any timeframe yet, but I suspect it'll happen pretty quick with all of the equipment still hanging around.

MikieTimT

Did my first drive on it yesterday morning after a job in Bentonville.  The wife and I got off at Pineville after a very short ride from the SPUI to the northbound onramp of I-49 from US-71 northbound.  Witnessed a semi blow through a left turn clearly not paying attention to his own set of lights, but no one wants to ram a semi, so he proceeded unscathed.  Clearly needs to be better signage/light obscuring to help the general public with this hitherto unknown intersection type.  The new bypass saved 10 minutes during a non-rush hour, but during rushes, likely saves 15-20 minutes each way, so commuters from north of Pineville or along MO-90 will get a great deal of life back.  It actually connects Noel, MO to Bentonville a lot better now as well, so I expect that town to start showing signs of growth, which they could desperately use.  The Elk River will be more heavily used for weekend floats going forward now as well, I predict.

ITB

Bella Vista Bypass ribbon cutting ceremony September 30, 2021:

Courtesy Arkansas Highways.

This photo and others can be found on the Arkansas Highways flickr page.

O Tamandua

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 02, 2021, 09:52:34 AM
Did my first drive on it yesterday morning after a job in Bentonville.  The wife and I got off at Pineville after a very short ride from the SPUI to the northbound onramp of I-49 from US-71 northbound.  Witnessed a semi blow through a left turn clearly not paying attention to his own set of lights, but no one wants to ram a semi, so he proceeded unscathed.  Clearly needs to be better signage/light obscuring to help the general public with this hitherto unknown intersection type.  The new bypass saved 10 minutes during a non-rush hour, but during rushes, likely saves 15-20 minutes each way, so commuters from north of Pineville or along MO-90 will get a great deal of life back.  It actually connects Noel, MO to Bentonville a lot better now as well, so I expect that town to start showing signs of growth, which they could desperately use.  The Elk River will be more heavily used for weekend floats going forward now as well, I predict.

As goes Noel, so will (likely) go Grove, OK, a hub of activity in its own right.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 02, 2021, 04:51:53 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on October 02, 2021, 09:52:34 AM

As goes Noel, so will (likely) go Grove, OK, a hub of activity in its own right.

I'm  waiting for the first c-store or motel at 49/90.  Then again, Greenland, AR to Alma there's basically nothing.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

A Buc'ees would be nice in that stretch and would bring a lot of jobs!

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 02, 2021, 11:58:48 PM

More likely a Love's  or local talent.  :)

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on October 03, 2021, 11:33:22 AM

I could see a workmans there

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: US71 on October 03, 2021, 11:33:22 AM

I could see a workmans there

iPhone

Totally forgot about them, but yes.   Or maybe Coulson//Road Runner.

Bobby5280

No other convenience store chain is quite like Buc-ee's. Whenever I drive to DFW I usually stop at the Buc-ee's on TX-114 across from Texas Motor Speedway to get some beef jerky and other goodies. Sometimes I'll get a burger and Neapolitan milkshake at In-N-Out nearby.

Anyway, Buc-ee's has become rather picky where they choose to open new "Big Store" locations. They seem to prefer sites adjacent to Interstates near key highway junctions and/or on the outer fringes of major metro areas. The new one off I-10 in Alabama seems like it's in an isolated spot, but that's the main exit for Gulf Shores. So traffic is crazy at that location. The one in Leeds, AL off I-20 is at the first exit East of the I-20/I-459 interchange. And there's a big outlet mall nearby.

I'd love it if Buc-ee's built at least a couple locations in Oklahoma. But that's not going to be happening any time soon.

Buc-ee's is currently expanding into the Deep South and Florida. One of the latest announcements is a location off I-40, Exit 407 near Sevierville, TN. Currently the New Braunfel's Buc-ee's holds the title of World's Largest Convenience Store at 66,335 square feet. This new one in Tennessee will be 74,000 square feet. It will have 120 fueling stations, like the one in New Braunfels. This location will be an anchor store for a development called "The 407: Gateway to Adventure." This will be the second Buc-ee's in Tennessee. The first one is under construction in Crossville.

As fast as the NWA region has been growing, I think it's a practical possibility for Buc-ee's to build a Big Store next to I-49 if the company wants to start building locations in Arkansas. The trick is finding the right kind of location with a big enough plot of vacant land available to develop.

Actually one zone that would be a natural for Buc-ee's is a little ways North by Joplin along the overlap of I-44 and I-49. There is a LOT of cross country traffic going through that zone. One of the key customer groups Buc-ee's likes to serve is people on long distance road trips needing to stock up.

Arkansastravelguy

jbnv

All I have to say about Buc'ees is that I'm pretty much shunning them since they pulled out of plans to build in Baton Rouge five years ago. (Ironically, had they built there they'd get a lot of my business since I work just a short distance from where they were going to build.) We don't need them anyway. Everyone along I-10 is upping their bathroom game and food service game. Also, beavers don't eat crawfish.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Tomahawkin

I would also like to see a Whataburger, and/or maybe Jack in the Box, somewhere along either 40, 49 or 30 in West Arkansas, the food options are pretty limited west of Little Rock, Hot Springs is too far away from IH 30 and there is relatively nothing between Little Rock and Fayetteville. Unless there are options in Russellville? I can't wait to go out there in 9 months

Thegeet

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 04:03:24 PM

iPhone
When can we expect Google Maps to street view this new bypass?

CoreySamson

Quote from: Thegeet on October 03, 2021, 08:56:48 PM
I would guess next year. Google doesn't even seem to acknowledge that the bypass is open at the moment.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Arkansastravelguy

Anyone else surprised they already pulled 71B from Bentonville but left 71 through BV instead of piggybacking 71 on 49? I guess because Missouri typically doesn't to Business US routes

Scott5114

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 10:04:59 PM
Anyone else surprised they already pulled 71B from Bentonville but left 71 through BV instead of piggybacking 71 on 49? I guess because Missouri typically doesn't to Business US routes

They do very much do Business Interstates, though.

Moving US 71 to I-49 here would require MoDOT and ArDOT to collaborate on the paperwork. My guess is that as long as both states intend to keep the old road through Bella Vista state maintained, there's not really much benefit to going through the trouble of moving the US route and getting some other designation (like Biz I-49 or some state route designation) approved.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

ARDOT has been allowing local communities to assume maintenance of some (now former) Business Routes.

The Bus 71 designation at Bentonville was removed north of Rainbow Curve/ AR 12. But is still active  east of there to 8th Street, then south towards Springdale.

It was also been removed in Fayetteville.  Cities assume responsibility and the state relinquishes the segment.

Fort Smith is planning to do  this with Business 71, after ARDOT does sewer/drainage improvements.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 03, 2021, 10:20:50 PM

They do very much do Business Interstates, though.

Moving US 71 to I-49 here would require MoDOT and ArDOT to collaborate on the paperwork. My guess is that as long as both states intend to keep the old road through Bella Vista state maintained, there's not really much benefit to going through the trouble of moving the US route and getting some other designation (like Biz I-49 or some state route designation) approved.

Arkansas hasn't done Business Interstates since the late 60's, IIRC.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Thegeet on October 03, 2021, 08:56:48 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on October 03, 2021, 04:03:24 PM

iPhone

Seems to me this stretch of interstate would do well to have the I-49 shield painted on the right lanes and the U S 71 badge painted on the left.  From the skid marks it looks like someone came close to having a problem already and we're just one weekend into this.  Then again, there's only one center lane so my idea mightn't work at all.  :wow:

MikieTimT

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 03, 2021, 08:30:36 PM
I would also like to see a Whataburger, and/or maybe Jack in the Box, somewhere along either 40, 49 or 30 in West Arkansas, the food options are pretty limited west of Little Rock, Hot Springs is too far away from IH 30 and there is relatively nothing between Little Rock and Fayetteville. Unless there are options in Russellville? I can't wait to go out there in 9 months

No Jack in the Box, but there's 4 Whataburger locations within 2 miles of I-49 in NWA.

In Russellville off I-40, I'd recommend Feltner's Whattaburger

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.