News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit number = Route number

Started by hotdogPi, October 20, 2013, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

In California, several highways that end at State Route 1 should have the exit to State Route 1 also signed as Exit 1 (or a suffixed version of Exit 1).  Ones that are known to be signed as such:

I-10 (suffixed)
I-105 (suffixed)
CA-17 (suffixed)
CA-55

CANALLER

On the way to Florida yesterday, there were two in a row on the same highway.   On southbound Rte. 77 in S. Carolina, Exit #41 was for "Road" 41 and Exit 34 was for Rte. 34.

CANALLER

On the return trip, also noticed Exit #52 for Rte. 52 on Rte. 77 in Virginia and Exit #19 for Rte. 19 on Rte. 70 approaching Pittsburgh.

Zzonkmiles

How many instances have you seen in which an interstate's exit number (or in some cases a US highway's exit number) is the same as the route number served by the exit? I noticed that South Carolina has two cases of this back-to-back on I-77, so I was wondering how common this was.

hotdogPi

I-495 (MA), Exit 38, Route 38

It's not that rare. Think of how long US 1 is and how many freeways it crosses. Several of them (especially short ones) will be Exit 1.

Then there are the routes that parallel other routes. For example, I-91 always parallels US 5 and has many exits signed for US 5. It also has Exit 5 in each state it passes through, obviously. (Two of the three exits numbered 5 on I-91 are signed for US 5.)

Two in a row is significantly rarer.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

Let me search...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10694.0 :sombrero:

The only example I can think in my country is exit 630 off A-66, which is for N-630, the parallel road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 11, 2015, 07:43:44 AM
Let me search...

The only example I can think in my country is exit 630 off A-66, which is for N-630, the parallel road.

Hmmm, that topic's most recent post was more than a year ago. I didn't know if it was okay to bump it because some folks don't like necroposting.

EDIT: When I opened that thread and tried to reply, it warned me that since the last post was more than 120 days ago, I should consider starting a new topic. In light of that, I'll post two pictures here instead. But thanks for the link.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on July 11, 2015, 08:07:26 AM
Let me search...

Hmmm, that topic's most recent post was more than a year ago. I didn't know if it was okay to bump it because some folks don't like necroposting.

EDIT: When I opened that thread and tried to reply, it warned me that since the last post was more than 120 days ago, I should consider starting a new topic. In light of that, I'll post two pictures here instead. But thanks for the link.

When faced with that, you have to consider the potential for new and unique responses. In this case it's not like a lot of highways opened recently which will add a whole lot of unique instances of exit numbers equaling route numbers.  You would have been fine simply adding your response to that thread.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2015, 08:47:22 AM
Quote from: Zzonkmiles on July 11, 2015, 08:07:26 AM
Let me search...

When faced with that, you have to consider the potential for new and unique responses. In this case it's not like a lot of highways opened recently which will add a whole lot of unique instances of exit numbers equaling route numbers.  You would have been fine simply adding your response to that thread.

Thanks! I'll do that instead. The moderators can delete this topic then. :)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on July 11, 2015, 09:37:27 AM

Naw they'll probably just merge the topic.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: CANALLER on April 02, 2014, 11:23:22 PM
On the way to Florida yesterday, there were two in a row on the same highway.   On southbound Rte. 77 in S. Carolina, Exit #41 was for "Road" 41 and Exit 34 was for Rte. 34.

These were the consecutive exits I was thinking of when I made that other (redundant) topic. I actually have pictures of both of these signs, but Tapatalk won't let me upload them from my phone because "the upload folder is full."

Even more curious to me is the use of the term "Road" in "Road 41." It has no shield. Does that make it a county road of some sort? I'm not sure what kind of shields or signage county roads have in SC.

Quillz

CA - 101, Exit 27 - CA 27 (Topanga Canyon)

Eth

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on July 11, 2015, 11:17:00 AM
Even more curious to me is the use of the term "Road" in "Road 41." It has no shield. Does that make it a county road of some sort? I'm not sure what kind of shields or signage county roads have in SC.

I believe that officially indicates a state secondary route, but as far as the numbering system is concerned it essentially works like a county road. Similar to Virginia's system, I'd say.

TheHighwayMan3561

Exit 45 off I-35 in Minnesota is Steele County 45.

The closest "almost" I could find is US 71 is Exit 73 on I-90.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

I-5 Exit 104 near Olympia, WA is for US-101. While that doesn't match, it comes awfully close for a route not aligned to any sort of grid.

I ran up and down I-5 in Washington, but almost all of the major highways are 500-series, which is far to large to match any exit number.

6a

Quote from: Eth on July 11, 2015, 12:07:32 PM

I believe that officially indicates a state secondary route, but as far as the numbering system is concerned it essentially works like a county road. Similar to Virginia's system, I'd say.

Yep. About the best you'll get as far as signage, other than a name blade, is this. The 04 being the county number (Anderson in this case.)

vtk

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 24, 2013, 08:32:40 AM
And two i pointed out on previous threads.....

US 23 at I-270 exit 23
Ohio 104 on I-71 exit 104

On 270, the 315 interchange would have been exit 23, and the 23 interchange would have been exit 24. It was fudged to avoid confusion.

On 71, the exit to Frank Rd would have been exit 104 even without the involvement of OH 104.

Missed it by that much: I-670's eastbound exit to Cleveland Ave aka OH 3 aka 3C Highway is exit 4C. (Westbound, it's a branch of exit 5.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Greybear

Another close one that I am mentioning is that Exit 31 on I-30 in Arkansas is at AR 29.

Terry Shea

On US-127 in Michigan, exit 127 is Business Route 127.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 11, 2015, 10:59:05 AM
Quote from: Zzonkmiles on July 11, 2015, 09:37:27 AM

Naw they'll probably just merge the topic.

I'll be doing that in a few. ;)

EDIT: Now done.

mvak36

Exit 71 on I-435 in Missouri is for US71/I-49
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

jakeroot

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 11, 2015, 03:27:33 PM
On US-127 in Michigan, exit 127 is Business Route 127.

That's a good one. Granted, business routes will always have the same route number, but to have the same exit number as well is pretty sweet.

OracleUsr

Quote from: Eth on July 11, 2015, 12:07:32 PM

It is a county road.  In fact, if you go to an at-grade intersection on one of these roads, you'll see a number prefix indicating the county.  I used to use Road 18 in Pickens County (Pickens County, FYI, is the home of Clemson University among others) a lot, but I don't remember the number prefix for that county
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

PurdueBill

I'm excited for MA 2 having Exit 128 for I-95 when milepost exit numbers come along.  :D

The Exit 23/US 23/Exit 23 fun on I-270 will be sad to see go, but the interchange does need the work.

With only half a mile of fudging, OH 3 could have been Exit 3 on I-76 instead of Exit 2.  Bummer.

Mike_OH

In Cincinnati, OH 562 (Norwood Lateral) Exit 3 is OH 3.  And one near miss in Cincy, though the route number does not appear on the sign, Southbound I-71 Exit 2 also goes to OH 3.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.