News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Routes that form a complete loop

Started by hotdogPi, February 18, 2014, 03:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

This is the route that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started driving it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue driving it forever just because . . .

M-185
Australia 1
Iceland 1
I-285 (Atlanta)
I-465 (Indianapolis)
I-270 (Columbus)
I-275 (Cincinnati)
A86 (Paris)
I-410 (San Antonio)
I-495 (Washington D.C.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

oscar

I-295 (Jacksonville)

Some but not all Texas Loop routes are full loops, such as Loop 8 around Houston, Loop 289 around Lubbock, and Loop 1604 around San Antonio.

The recently-completed Circle Drive around Saskatoon SK (part of which carries TCH 16 around the city).

There are more if you accept full loops pieced together from two or more routes, such as I-494 and I-694 around Minneapolis and St. Paul, or TCH 100/MB 101 around Winnipeg.  M25 around London would be one of those, since that route doesn't include a toll crossing east of London which is assigned a non-M route number.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

english si

vdeane

Depending on whether you include the mostly-signed (but ultimately unofficial; older signs show it but newer ones don't) multiplex with I-490, the Inner Loop (for now at least).

Looks like AB 216 will be a loop eventually.

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2014, 03:54:34 PM
Great, you got that song stuck in my head.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

Spain: M-30, M-40 (Both around Madrid), SE-30 (Seville), Z-40 (Zaragoza) are all full loops. SE-40, another loop around Seville, is expected to become a full loop sometime in the future.

Elsewhere:
Italian A90 a.k.a. GRA (Grande Raccordo Annulare) around Rome (and Vatican city :sombrero:)
MKAD around Moscow
German A10 around Berlin
South Korea expressway 100 around Seoul
And in China, any expressway numbered Gxx0x is slated to become a full loop if it doesn't already.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

froggie

At one point in its life, MN 100 was a full loop.  MN 110 and what's left of MN 120 are remnants.

1995hoo

Herndon Parkway around Herndon, Virginia. I have no idea what route number it carries, but it's basically an at-grade beltway around the town.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteHerndon Parkway around Herndon, Virginia. I have no idea what route number it carries, but it's basically an at-grade beltway around the town.

Per VDOT, it has two different route numbers on separate segments.  Neither of which are signed, as I recall.

rarnold

I-435 around Kansas City Metro Area

ap70621

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

NYC was supposed to have a complete parkway loop around the edge of Brooklyn and Queens - this is where the name "Belt Parkway" comes from. The loop was eventually completed, but the western side of it was built as expressway rather than parkway (BQE) and part of the northern side of it became the Whitestone Expressway. Nonetheless, the loop can be easily followed on a map.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2014, 07:07:08 PM
QuoteHerndon Parkway around Herndon, Virginia. I have no idea what route number it carries, but it's basically an at-grade beltway around the town.

Per VDOT, it has two different route numbers on separate segments.  Neither of which are signed, as I recall.

Depending on how you look at it, either 1/2 or 3/4 of it are signed as either VA 228 TRUCK or SR 606 TRUCK.

Officially the route is designated as 235-6658 (southern half between the SR 606 jcts) and 235-6660 (northern half).  235 is the numerical code maintenance jurisdiction number for the Town of Herndon.  Fairfax SRs 6658 and 6660 exist and are elsewhere.  As far as I know none of the Town Jurisdiction routes or the Urban Routes in the Independent cities are signed in any way.

Mapmikey

dgolub

The Inner Loop in Rochester, NY, although it gets multiplexed with I-490 for a bit.

JMoses24

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2014, 05:14:44 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2014, 03:54:34 PM
Great, you got that song stuck in my head.

Mine too.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 18, 2014, 08:26:08 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2014, 07:07:08 PM

Depending on how you look at it, either 1/2 or 3/4 of it are signed as either VA 228 TRUCK or SR 606 TRUCK.

Officially the route is designated as 235-6658 (southern half between the SR 606 jcts) and 235-6660 (northern half).  235 is the numerical code maintenance jurisdiction number for the Town of Herndon.  Fairfax SRs 6658 and 6660 exist and are elsewhere.  As far as I know none of the Town Jurisdiction routes or the Urban Routes in the Independent cities are signed in any way.

Mapmikey

Thanks to both of you. I can picture seeing the TRUCK 228 signs, but it's been a year or two since I've used that road and I just didn't remember if there was another number. I used to give my father a lift out that way fairly often to a mechanic he used, but they no longer have that car so I no longer make the trip.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hubcity

I was surprised to find that London's M25 does not. There's a bit of it that's the A282.

kj3400

M60, Manchester. Poor M62, getting cut in half.
Also the A10 around Amsterdam.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2014, 05:14:44 PM
Depending on whether you include the mostly-signed (but ultimately unofficial; older signs show it but newer ones don't) multiplex with I-490, the Inner Loop (for now at least).

Quote from: dgolub on February 18, 2014, 08:27:58 PM
The Inner Loop in Rochester, NY, although it gets multiplexed with I-490 for a bit.

That one's tricky; it's not entirely clear whether "Inner Loop" constitutes a defined route in and of itself. Reference route 940T comprises only the non-490 portion of the loop, and therefore doesn't form a complete circle. However, the Inner Loop in concept, as well as in early construction, predates the existence of I-490. The original design (which more closely resembles the shape of the orange-and-white trailblazer) was part surface boulevard and part freeway, and was initially built as a full circle, more or less independent of the nascent I-490. I don't know if this form of it was ever completely designated 940T; we can deduce at least that NY 383 played into the western leg of it (from old reference markers on Plymouth Avenue), but I don't know if the reference route system goes back that far.

bugo

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lepidopteran

KY-4 in Lexington
TN-155 in Nashville (Briley Parkway)

Both have freeway and non-freeway components.

US71

The former AR 180 in Fayetteville?

Ran from AR 45 along Assembly Rd, then looped around Skyline Dr back to Assembly.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lepidopteran

A rare, railroad example used to exist in Toledo, OH.  The Toledo Terminal was a switching railroad that made a complete loop around the city.  The beginning of the end was in 1982, when a train derailed while on the upstream of the loop's two crossings of the Maumee River.  The bridge was damaged in the derailment and never repaired, so the tracks leading from the bridge to the nearest junctions on either side were eventually abandoned.  Today the track is gone in at least two stretches west of the river, including the bridge over I-475 near Douglas Rd.

Edit:  The damaged bridge can be seen from the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90) as it crosses the Maumee River. 

74/171FAN

Maynard Road in Cary, NC (northern half part of NC 54)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.