News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Simultaneous merges from both sides

Started by 1995hoo, July 08, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I've passed this spot twice in the past four days (picture is a video capture from Friday afternoon) and found myself wondering where else this design quirk exists. This is the I-495 Outer Loop's Express Lanes (HO/T lanes) just north of Tysons Corner, Virginia. The onramp entering from the left comes from Virginia Route 267 (the Dulles Toll Road) and the one entering from the right comes from Jones Branch Drive, a local street in a corporate park. The configuration ahead is that the left acceleration lane (marked Exit Only) becomes exit-only at Westpark Drive, the left thru lane becomes an option lane to exit or stay on the Beltway, the lane I'm in remains the right thru lane, and the right onramp merge ends.

I can't recall off the top of my head having seen this kind of thing elsewhere, though I wouldn't be surprised if some older road somewhere had something similar (say, one of New York City's older "expressways"). In this case the anticipated lower traffic volumes in the Express Lanes (due to the HOV-or-toll requirement and the limited exits) might have been a major reason why the design was approved.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hobsini2

The eastbound I-90/94 merge aka the Edens Junction is the only one I know of with that kind of merge.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

cpzilliacus

Inner Loop of I-495 (Capital Beltway) in Bethesda, Montgomery County, Md. just east of Pooks Hill (I-495/I-270/Md. 355 interchange Exits 34 and 35) is something similar to that.  GSV here.

Maryland SHA has made an effort to extend the left-side merge some distance ahead, but that does not really help that much. It is one of the worst and  most-congested sections of the Beltway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

The I-390/I-490 comes pretty close.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

I-4 has a two sided merge in Downtown Orlando with FL 408 WB merging on the right and South Street merging from the left.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

Found this one in Plainville, CT.  CT 72 westbound.  The merge from the left is the flyover from I-84 EB.  The merge from the right is from CT 372.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.673809,-72.847574&spn=0.000032,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.673774,-72.847478&panoid=930xkNUaFs81ncfYpRs-vA&cbp=12,332.06,,0,0

Another dangerous one that has been eliminated was just before the Bulkeley Bridge on I-84 in East Hartford when the ramp from CT 2 West would come in from the left, and the Governor Street (abandoned I-284) ramp would come in from the right.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Joe The Dragon

2Co5_14

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.