News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Nearest one-lane road to you

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 14, 2022, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2022, 09:44:01 AM
Streets with parallel parking are not automatically one-lane streets.

Streets with no center striped are not automatically one-lane streets.

I wouldn't think they normally are.  Near every development has roads that permit parallel parking on the roadway, and are rarely striped.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

epzik8

A small portion of Norman Avenue in Aberdeen, Maryland is one-way, if not one-lane.

The service road parallel to US 40 westbound a short distance away is one lane but with parallel parking.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

J N Winkler

I consider a road to be one-lane if it is narrow enough that two vehicles coming from opposite directions cannot comfortably pass at speed.  This is the crucial operational distinction.  Whether two vehicles can squeeze past each other very slowly, or one needs to reverse to a passing place, is merely a choice between two different levels of disaccommodation.  In the field, it can be difficult to tell the difference between the two since such roads are often not properly "made" in the sense that they are engineered with and maintained to an uniform cross-section.

The nearest one-lane primary state highway to me is probably NM 503 near the Santa Cruz Reservoir.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2022, 04:38:55 PM
The nearest one-lane primary state highway to me is probably NM 503 near the Santa Cruz Reservoir.

How the heck is that a primary state route? Oh wait, New Mexico, never mind.

I remember the unpaved segment of VT 121 being of similar width in places; that might be my closest one-lane state-numbered road that isn't a bridge if we're using "must slow down significantly to pass" as the threshold. Note that this, along with the similarly-sketchy unpaved section of VT 58, is town maintenance.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dirt Roads

It's been a long time since I lived close by, but the following post from PennDOT via 74/171FAN reminded me of this one that I've been on in Southwest Pennsylvania:

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 21, 2022, 03:10:03 PM
PennDOT - District 12 News: Route 4038 Layton Tunnel and Bridge Closure

I can't believe that the Layton Bridge/Tunnel was still open to traffic, or that PennDOT is even going to try to rehab the mess.  That railroad branch was closed back in 1931.

https://pabucketlist.com/exploring-the-layton-bridge-and-tunnel-in-fayette-county/

CtrlAltDel

The closest one to me, that I am aware of, is here:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

The IN 225 bridge over the Wabash River is one lane. That's the closest one lane road I know of that isn't a one-way city street.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.