News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2024 Road Trip Plans

Started by Hunty2022, December 26, 2023, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

Quote from: pderocco on February 24, 2024, 09:13:15 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 24, 2024, 11:32:38 AM
Might be taking a trip to Colorado in June. Would be flying into Denver and drive to Durango. There's also the possibility that I maybe cross into Wyoming.
Sounds like a good opportunity to drive US-550 over the mountains. I doubt the side roads (Black Bear, Imogene) will be passable, but the highway should be clear.

I've been on US 550 before between Durango and Ouray when I was last there 7 years ago. Absolutely beautiful drive and would absolutely do it again.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

D-Dey65

My Folkston trip is scheduled for Wednesday. That's two days from now.

The next day trip I take will include Florida's Big Bend region. I also want to capture US 27 west of US 19, and more of I-10 between Jefferson and Columbia Counties, especially the rest areas, weigh stations in Madison County and agricultural inspection stations in Suwannee County.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 25, 2024, 10:45:30 AM
Quote from: pderocco on February 24, 2024, 09:13:15 PM
Might be taking a trip to Colorado in June. Would be flying into Denver and drive to Durango. There's also the possibility that I maybe cross into Wyoming.
Sounds like a good opportunity to drive US-550 over the mountains. I doubt the side roads (Black Bear, Imogene) will be passable, but the highway should be clear.

I've been on US 550 before between Durango and Ouray when I was last there 7 years ago. Absolutely beautiful drive and would absolutely do it again.

Looking to go the quickest way? Or are you venturing out a bit.

jmacswimmer

Planning out a 2-week trip for early May: We'll fly in/out of PHX, then do a big looping roadtrip mainly via I-17, US 89, UT 9, I-15, & US 93 to cover Sedona, Grand Canyon NP, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon Dam, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas (might even jump over to Death Valley NP from Vegas if time allows), and finally Hoover Dam on the way back to Phoenix.

Peeking around on streetview makes it seem like much of the driving will be spectacular - in particular I'm excited for I-17 beyond Phoenix, US 89 between Cameron & Page, the Glen Canyon Dam Bridge, the UT 9 tunnel within Zion, the Virgin River Gorge on I-15, and of course the O'Callaghan-Tillman Bridge on I-11/US 93.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 27, 2024, 10:05:05 AM
Planning out a 2-week trip for early May: We'll fly in/out of PHX, then do a big looping roadtrip mainly via I-17, US 89, UT 9, I-15, & US 93 to cover Sedona, Grand Canyon NP, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon Dam, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, Las Vegas (might even jump over to Death Valley NP from Vegas if time allows), and finally Hoover Dam on the way back to Phoenix.

Peeking around on streetview makes it seem like much of the driving will be spectacular - in particular I'm excited for I-17 beyond Phoenix, US 89 between Cameron & Page, the Glen Canyon Dam Bridge, the UT 9 tunnel within Zion, the Virgin River Gorge on I-15, and of course the O'Callaghan-Tillman Bridge on I-11/US 93.

The main thing I found interesting about I-17 is how the terrain and countryside changed as we descended from Flagstaff to Phoenix. The northern part of the road felt a lot like driving on I-87 in Upstate New York in terms of the types of trees and the overall look of the area, but as we descended southbound it turned to desert. "Desert," in turn, didn't look anything like my mental image of what a desert was, which I think came mostly from TV and movies where you see this endless expanse of sand.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Unless something happens, I'm heading out with my brother Saturday morning for Utah. Looks like the route will be I-64 and I-70 to UT 128, and taking that to Moab. We're overnighting in Monticello, then doing the White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park. He wants to see Goblin Valley State Park, which will probably entail another night of camping (yuck) but he also wants to drive UT 12 while we're there.

I'm actually rooting for another big snowfall like they had yesterday in the Colorado mountains so we'll be forced to take I-44 and I-40 through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico to get to Monticello. Otherwise, it will probably be out and back the same route, and there's no fun in that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

I'm thinking about a week-long road trip from Detroit to Minneapolis in late April or early May.  Mrs. wanderer wants to see the Mall of America.

Suggestions for good sign photo ops are appreciated.

JayhawkCO

Flying up to Helena and renting a car to drive to Missoula. Not sure all of my roadgeeking opportunities, but will at least try to go a different way each direction. Thinking about taking Flesher Pass Road (MT Secondary 297)->MT200 on the outbound as it looks like a pretty drive.

elsmere241

Nothing for us this year, we're still paying for the 2022 trip we bought a van and trailer for.  I hope all of you have fun.

MATraveler128

Trying to work out the details of a possible Charlotte trip in April but it may end up being a plane trip.

Hunty2022

I might do a possible multi-day Richmond, VA Area trip Part 3 next week. That would be my first real road trip of 2024, and my first time leaving Greene/Albemarle/City of Charlottesville this year as well.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

doorknob60

Got a big boy road trip planned for August. First road trip I've ever done beyond the west coast or mountain west (see my county map or travel mapping). Rough outline:

1. Starting Boise
2. Drive to Grand Junction, CO
3. Drive to Denver. Will be checking out Glenwood Caverns that day.
4. Drive to Dodge City, KS, along US-400. Have a few stops planned in Denver and Colorado Springs too.
5. Finish clinch of US-400 and drive to Branson, MO.
6. Silver Dollar City.
7. Drive to Kansas City, spend a couple days there.
8. Drive to Minneapolis, spending a few days there. Concerts and Mall of America on the agenda.
9. Starting the drive home, to Dickinson, ND.
10. Drive to Dillon, MT.
11. Drive home.

I thought about trying to fit in Beartooth Pass or some sightseeing around Yellowstone on the way back, but I think we'll save that for another trip. By the end of the trip we'll probably just want to get home, and I don't want to take too many days off work.

Some of the days will be heavy on the driving (but never more than 9 hours or so), but we'll have enough time to settle down in Branson, Kansas City, and Minneapolis so I think it works out. Originally hoped for an extra day in Colorado to check out Mt Evans or something, but Silver Dollar City's operating schedule put a bit of a wrench in that (so I moved that extra day to KC).

Other than the big one, we'll take a couple road trips to the greater Portland area, in May and September. We'll likely be taking a "triangle" plane trip in late September to Los Angeles, then Portland, then back home, but no driving involved there (Uber and public transit). Yeah, the August+September time frame is super busy, just how it worked out with events.

Rothman

*contemplates driving beyond the West Coast*

*sploosh*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hunty2022

Surprise trip alert!!

I am going on a trip to Buckingham County (VA) tomorrow. That will be my first time in the county since November 5, 2022.

D-Dey65

My first Folkston day trip for 2024 was way better than the previous one. Not perfect by a long shot, but still better the ordeal I had in November 2023.

As I mentioned, my next trip will be the Big Bend and vicinity quest.

I was going to say the next time I go to Folkston, I won't need to take FL 121 to the Georgia Line, but I was wrong. There are places up there I realize I still want to capture, like the intersection with Baker CR 23D (I already did, 23A, 23B and 23C), as well as the Agricultural Inspection Stations on Nassau CR 2.

Quillz

The only road trips I've taken this year were short weekend excursions to Morro Bay and then Monterey Bay. I had plans to do two weeks in the Redwood Curtain but was unable to due to work issues. Once it warms up, will probably do another drive to the Mono Lake area.

Have another Alaska trip planned for September or October. I like going there in the fall, I view the glaciers when in Anchorage and aurora viewing peaks around the fall equinox when in the Fairbanks area.

WhyLifeIs4

Trying to head to ann arbor MI in the summer to visit my grandparents
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

Hunty2022

I might do a trip to one of these places tomorrow:

— Farmville, VA (5%)
— Front Royal, VA (10%)
— Harrisonburg, VA (40%)
— Leesburg, VA (10%)
— Lynchburg, VA (20%)
— Winchester, VA (15%)

jlam

Not much of a road trip, but here is the approximate route I took during my week-long spring break ski trip, clinching some new terrain:

MATraveler128

We've officially got the flight booked to Denver for June 15-22. However we've decided to not go to Durango instead maybe staying closer to the Denver areas as well as Rocky Mountain National Park.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 17, 2024, 10:26:20 PM
I might do a trip to one of these places tomorrow:

— Farmville, VA (5%)
— Front Royal, VA (10%)
— Harrisonburg, VA (40%)
— Leesburg, VA (10%)
— Lynchburg, VA (20%)
— Winchester, VA (15%)

I chose Winchester. I'm here right now, just arriving about 15 minutes ago.

froggie

Just finished what is likely to be my only major roadtrip of 2024 (unless I rent a vehicle...my current vehicle is leased).  My wife was a bridesmaid for a college BFF, and the wedding was down at Disney World, so I took the opportunity to visit friends and family on the way down and clinch some mileage along the way.  12 days, about 4500 miles, and new mileage clinched in 8 states.  My main coups were I-4, the FL 417/429 beltway around Orlando, and US 17 in Georgia.

hobsini2

Well, tentatively, I have my Summer plans narrowed down to 2 trips.
Option 1:
Drive to New Orleans. Never been to Louisiana and just been to Tupelo in Mississippi. Going down would probably be I-55 the whole way. Coming back  considering either US 61 or US 51.

Option 2 (which I am leaning more towards):
Drive to Key West. While I have been to Florida a few times and have driven a good chunk of the state, I have never made it all the way to Key West. Going down via US 41, I-69, I-169, I-24, I-65, US 231, US 84, US 27, US 41, US 1 roughly. Coming back US 1, US 441, I-75, I-24, I-57.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Quillz

I'm hoping this is the year I finally drive over Westgard Pass. Problem is I just don't know how to turn it into a meaningful trip. I was thinking of maybe then going south into Death Valley, or loop back around to the Mono Lake area.

Thing 342

Have a lot of stuff planned over the next few months:

In April, will be driving up to the Finger Lakes to view the eclipse, then will spend a couple days in Ontario to see Niagara Falls and Toronto. Going up probably through Delmarva, Harrisburg, and Williamsport. Will probably stop off somewhere on the way back to break up the drive.

Early June, will drive down to Charlotte for a weekend trip.

Later June into July, flying out to the UK to spend a few days in London, then renting a car to drive to York and then Edinburgh for a few days each, then flying to Dublin and doing a circular tour of Ireland in another rental.

Rest of the year more up in the air, nothing planned yet aside from a few potential business trips.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.