Missing Link - US 31 to I 196 in Michigan

Started by DevalDragon, September 16, 2012, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

Are there any plans to fill in the missing gap between US 31 and I-196 near Benton Harbor Michigan? It seems like an obvious thing to do rather than exiting on to a 2 lane country road from the end of US 31 and getting on I 94 east one exit to I-196.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JREwing78

You're not going to see this happen until the gas tax in Michigan is increased, or until it gets stimulus funded.

tdindy88

I traveled this way a few months back. It wasn't too bad heading down Naiper from US 31 to I-94 and the longest part seemed to be waiting for the left turn off of US 31 onto Naiper. It's not the best solution but it's far from the worse. As I've seen it, the plan is to eventually connect US 31 with the interchange at I-94 and BL-94 east of Benton Harbor, but as others have pointed out the money is needed for this, that and something about butterflies.

tvketchum

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 17, 2012, 11:54:04 AM
As I've seen it, the plan is to eventually connect US 31 with the interchange at I-94 and BL-94 east of Benton Harbor, but as others have pointed out the money is needed for this, that and something about butterflies.

Mitchell's Sayder- the area south of the I-94/I-196 interchange is one of four or five habitats left for this species. This is the area directly in the original path for the US 31 freeway, which is now held up for four decades in redesign, environmental impact hearings, etc.

northernmi

Mitchell's Sayder- the area south of the I-94/I-196 interchange is one of four or five habitats left for this species. This is the area directly in the original path for the US 31 freeway, which is now held up for four decades in redesign, environmental impact hearings, etc.
[/quote]

The holdup on the "US31 Gap"  is just a bureaucratic nightmare. State government and MDOT are a joke.

I can not even imagine how the Interstate highway system could ever be built today. :pan:

silverback1065

Will this ever be finished? us31 is a nightmare in Michigan!!!

InterstateNG

Keep bumping old threads and it might!
I demand an apology.

JREwing78

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 21, 2013, 08:58:55 PM
Will this ever be finished? us31 is a nightmare in Michigan!!!

I would argue US-31 between Holland and Grand Haven is a bigger "nightmare". It may be divided, but it has a bazillion stoplights and is frequently stymied by the bridge in Grand Haven.

So is US-127 south of Jackson to US-12 & US-223. It gets similar traffic, and for most of its length it's a 2-lane highway. It also has stoplights. Ever try to get around there when a race is being held at Michigan International Speedway. THAT is a nightmare.

US-23 between Brighton and Ann Arbor. Yeah, that one's worse too - substandard design and 60,000vpd on a 4-lane freeway.

I would classify the short detour of US-31 on a 5-lane surface street with no stoplights (aside from the I-94 interchange) more of an annoyance than a "nightmare".

Michigan hasn't properly funded its roads for decades. The way things are looking at the moment, it's not about to either. And, it doesn't have a toll road to lease to gullible investors.

InterstateNG

Michigan's policy of not twinning it's rural arterials, not building bypasses, and the blanket 55mph speed limit for non-freeways (with some exceptions) makes it a real hindrance to get around.
I demand an apology.

silverback1065

I don't get it, is it a funding issue? Or politics? 

mgk920

theline

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.