News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cloverleaves in Des Moines

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 17, 2009, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I've been to Des Moines, IA and i have a metro area map and i noticed that there are cloverleaves all over the city and even the state of Iowa. Ive wondered why, and one thing I've thought of for a while is, maybe since it's up north (or at least to me it is) and it gets colder than it does here, if maybe cloverleaves are a little safer than stacks cause they're not high up they don't freeze as easliy. that's my thought.
BigMatt

Alps

My guess is that traffic volumes just don't warrant anything more complex, or at least didn't at the time they were constructed.  You see stacks as far north as Albany or Hartford.

agentsteel53

are there any stacks in Toronto?  Alternately, in Stockholm or the like?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

QuoteMy guess is that traffic volumes just don't warrant anything more complex, or at least didn't at the time they were constructed.  You see stacks as far north as Albany or Hartford
Hmm random question do the stacks up north freeze alot in the winter?

Alps

Of course bridges freeze before the road surface, but the stack ramps are no more susceptible than a regular two-level ramp.  Okay, maybe a little more, but not much.  The key is that people know how to drive in the snow and ice.

Chris

Quoteare there any stacks in Toronto?  Alternately, in Stockholm or the like?

The interior northern United States gets much colder than Stockholm. How about Minneapolis? Some winters in Stockholm barely have snow.

agentsteel53

oh yes, gotta love that Atlantic current.  Hmm, Moscow?  Wait, probably not technologically advanced enough.  Check back in 15 years.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Moscow has gigantic interchanges. The ringroad MKAD is 10-laned for 70 miles.

Revive 755

Quote from: BigMattI've been to Des Moines, IA and i have a metro area map and i noticed that there are cloverleaves all over the city and even the state of Iowa. Ive wondered why, and one thing I've thought of for a while is, maybe since it's up north (or at least to me it is) and it gets colder than it does here, if maybe cloverleaves are a little safer than stacks cause they're not high up they don't freeze as easliy. that's my thought.
BigMatt

I think most of the cloverleafs still exist around Des Moines due to funding constraints.

I'm pretty sure one of the options for rebuilding the I-80/I-380/US 218 interchange near Iowa City was a stack.  Haven't heard nor seen an official release of a chosen alternative for that interchange yet.

Chris

In my opinion, cloverleafs are nice for rural freeway-to-freeway interchanges, and urban regular exits, but freeway-to-freeway interchanges that carry over 100,000 AADT per freeway should have different interchanges, especially stacks or turbines. My biggest pet peeves are cloverleafs without C/D lanes. Just merge at the mainline lanes @ 25 mph..  X-(

Scott5114

Anyone at the OKC meet want to help me extoll the horror that is the northern terminus of I-235 at I-44? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if IA Dot plans to upgrade the I-35-80/IA-141 interchange (as well as a "freewaylization" of IA-141)?

Mergingtraffic

In Hartford, there is a plan to convert the I-84/Route interchange into a 4 level stack in the suberb of Waterbury.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

okroads

QuoteAnyone at the OKC meet want to help me extoll the horror that is the northern terminus of I-235 at I-44?

That interchange and I-35 @ I-240 are the two worst ones in the OKC area IMO...

Scott5114

At least I-35/240 has gotten a bit better because EB 240 to SB 35 traffic no longer has to merge with c/d lane traffic (that movement was always a pain. Of course NB 35 to EB 240 traffic still has the chance of getting Pole Rd'ed, and there's weaving on I-240 (but where isn't there weaving on I-240 west of Eastern). Isn't that supposed to be converted into a stack soon?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

okroads

QuoteAt least I-35/240 has gotten a bit better because EB 240 to SB 35 traffic no longer has to merge with c/d lane traffic (that movement was always a pain. Of course NB 35 to EB 240 traffic still has the chance of getting Pole Rd'ed, and there's weaving on I-240 (but where isn't there weaving on I-240 west of Eastern). Isn't that supposed to be converted into a stack soon?

Yep...hopefully sometime in the next 10 years it will be converted to a stack. ODOT has bought out and torn down apartments and houses along I-240 between Shields & I-35 in preparation for the new interchange construction.

Revive 755

Quote from: Stephan DumasI wonder if IA Dot plans to upgrade the I-35-80/IA-141 interchange (as well as a "freewaylization" of IA-141)?

I was told not too long ago on MTR that freewaylization of IA 141 is extremely unlikely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.