News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 13, 2021, 05:50:38 PM
They mentionned that interchange will be reconfigurated. Too bad they didn't show some plans online. The inner cloverleaf who was built back when it was a toll road is outdated.

No plans online, but I saw a parclo AB2 on TV. The routing on Openstreetmap is accurate in regard of what I saw.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: webfil on August 14, 2021, 08:03:04 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 13, 2021, 05:50:38 PM
They mentionned that interchange will be reconfigurated. Too bad they didn't show some plans online. The inner cloverleaf who was built back when it was a toll road is outdated.

No plans online, but I saw a parclo AB2 on TV. The routing on Openstreetmap is accurate in regard of what I saw.
Cool, thanks. :) 

Stephane Dumas

A "historic" shot from Google Streetview taken in 2009, on Pie-IX Blvd in Laval before PQ-125 and PQ-148 was re-aligned on their current paths.
https://goo.gl/maps/fpns6vBFtbYfbbhD7

andrepoiy

I've been driving in Quebec for a while now and I've noticed that there's like no permissive/protected left turn signals outside Montreal. It seems like every left turn is fully protected. Wonder why that is or if I'm just driving on the wrong roads.

Also it seems like Quebecois actually respect speed limits, wonder why that it as well.

vdeane

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 11, 2021, 08:53:12 AM
Also it seems like Quebecois actually respect speed limits, wonder why that it as well.
I wonder if it has anything to do with their speed cameras (which are fairly pervasive in urban areas, even on the autoroutes).  I've read that they'll take a photo for even 1 kph over the limit and that the cops reviewing the photos have a far lower tolerance before issuing tickets than they would if they needed to pull someone over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

Quebec has a lot of split phase traffic signals, where each direction of traffic gets its own protected phase.  I'm not sure why they design their signals as such, but there seems to an affinity for complicated traffic signal design in Quebec.  A lot of roads don't have left turn lanes in Quebec that would in Ontario as well from my observations.

I generally find Quebec drivers to be a bit slower than their counterparts in Ontario, however I drove down Hwy 155 from Lake Saint-Jean to Shawinigan earlier this afternoon, and there were no shortages of willing participants in the Saint-Maurice 500 every time a southbound passing lane materialized.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

andrepoiy

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 12, 2021, 02:49:15 AM
Quebec has a lot of split phase traffic signals, where each direction of traffic gets its own protected phase.  I'm not sure why they design their signals as such, but there seems to an affinity for complicated traffic signal design in Quebec.

This too. Jesus, I once missed my left turn signal since it only went on for like a second and I just so happen was not looking at that signal for a second and then I saw yellow.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

JayhawkCO

AsphaltPlanet

No kidding, I took these photos on Sunday.  Around 4:30 or 5:00 or so.

JayhawkCO

I probably passed through there around 9:30-10:00.  I was driving all the way to Halifax from Drummondville.

Chris

andrepoiy

Oh wow everybody was in Quebec. i was in Sherbrooke on Sunday

MikeTheActuary

I got a Canadian amateur radio license with a Québec callsign on Thursday.

AsphaltPlanet

froggie

Seems a little late for that given that we're well past peak on this side of the border.

AsphaltPlanet

That's what it looked like last monday morning.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 18, 2021, 10:25:05 AM

On my trip, I was really surprised how much the variation of "peak" was in the different places I traveled.  Even 10 miles away from various spots would be peak vs. past peak vs. still pretty green.  I think the most "peak" I saw was on NB7 between Saint John and Fredericton.

Chris

AsphaltPlanet

175 was pretty barren at the higher elevations, but was very scenic at both the Quebec City and Saguenay ends.

I actually deliberately avoided Route 7 in New Brunswick, and did Secondary Highway 630 instead.  What a mistake.  The northern half of 630 is gravel, which I thought would be fine, but I bottomed out my rental car on a boulder sticking out of the roadway.  Thankfully there was no damage -- and more thankfully it was a rental.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 18, 2021, 12:01:23 PM
175 was pretty barren at the higher elevations, but was very scenic at both the Quebec City and Saguenay ends.

I actually deliberately avoided Route 7 in New Brunswick, and did Secondary Highway 630 instead.  What a mistake.  The northern half of 630 is gravel, which I thought would be fine, but I bottomed out my rental car on a boulder sticking out of the roadway.  Thankfully there was no damage -- and more thankfully it was a rental.

Ha.  Had a similar experience on PE204.  Definitely wish I had been driving the Jeep that was safely tucked away in my garage back in Colorado.

Chris

7/8

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 18, 2021, 12:01:23 PM

It sounds like you're not the only one not impressed with the road (and this is from 2013!)
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/motorists-petition-new-brunswick-government-to-repair-route-630-1.1311045

AsphaltPlanet

What's funny about 630 is that south of Hwy 4, the road is fine.  Fully paved, with smooth pavement, you'd never think it was part of the same route.

oscar

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 18, 2021, 11:47:59 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 18, 2021, 10:25:05 AM

On my trip, I was really surprised how much the variation of "peak" was in the different places I traveled.  Even 10 miles away from various spots would be peak vs. past peak vs. still pretty green.  I think the most "peak" I saw was on NB7 between Saint John and Fredericton.

On my trip this month to Canada, I wasn't looking for fall colors, and for the most part didn't see anything noteworthy. But I couldn't help but notice the bright yellow foliage of aspen trees in western Quebec, on QC 101 and/or QC 391 south of Rouyn-Noranda, on October 5. That reminded me of the similar fall colors I saw on US 395 north of Mono Lake in California, one October day many years ago.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Stephane Dumas

I saw a French article about construction improvements of QC-389 which include a new alignment at Baie-Comeau. https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/10/18/le-chantier-de-refection-de-la-route-389-avance-a-baie-comeau-1

oscar

^ Any estimate of when the improvements between Baie-Comeau and Manic-2 will be completed?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: oscar on October 24, 2021, 11:01:17 PM
^ Any estimate of when the improvements between Baie-Comeau and Manic-2 will be completed?

From what I heard on that video it's for the end of 2022.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.