Due these signs come down to replace panels and bulbs?

Started by roadman65, May 12, 2021, 07:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I always noticed that high mast business signs are built telescopic. I assume it retracts to change lighting fixtures and panels.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

I think they're just built that way to provide greater stability at the base. I think repairs to them are made by bucket truck.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 04:10:59 PM
I think they're just built that way to provide greater stability at the base. I think repairs to them are made by bucket truck.

Yes, they are permanent once installed and still need a bucket truck or similar-type crane.  I'm more familiar with large telescopic antennae, and those use telescopic construction to reduce transportation costs.  Each section is less than the maximum standard cargo length.  For most states, the maximum standard semi-trailer length is 53 feet, but a number of states limit to 48 feet off of the trucking corridors.  Back in my day, we assumed a 40-foot length for telescopic masts, but you can design them longer and there are some exceptions that allow overhangs with flagging.  Some of these trailers include the tongue in their official length, so you can't necessarily design the telescopic section for a particular trailer length (unless you always supply your own trailer, and some manufacturers may still do this).

In_Correct

Both the Waffle House sign and the high mast light in front of Hampton Inn are not telescopic, and require Cherry Pickers to service them. The Waffle House sign is not that high. As for the high mast light, The people on the Cherry Picker grab the entire fixture by using a machine to pull it down, change the lights, and send it back up to the top.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: In_Correct on May 13, 2021, 01:50:12 PM
Both the Waffle House sign and the high mast light in front of Hampton Inn are not telescopic, and require Cherry Pickers to service them. The Waffle House sign is not that high. As for the high mast light, The people on the Cherry Picker grab the entire fixture by using a machine to pull it down, change the lights, and send it back up to the top.

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer would call these telescopic.  Each section should fit inside the others during transport.  But they become permanent once mounted in place.  For some of the smaller telescopic antennae systems, the manufacturers install pneumatic pistons that are used to elevate the various sections until they lock into place.  Those become permanent also, and the pneumatic equipment is abandoned in place.

CtrlAltDel

Then, sometimes things go wrong, as happened just a few days ago off exit 105 on I-65 in Lebanon Junction KY. Although, if I understand correctly, they were trying to take the sign down.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Always flip the breaker off before doing any home improvement projects...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.