News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unified Canadian Highway System

Started by Chrysler375Freeway, October 19, 2021, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Quote from: hurricanehink on February 23, 2022, 01:19:57 PM
Having a coast to coast Highway would go a long way toward a National Highway System. Speaking of: does anyone think there will be a fixed-link freeway from Vancouver to Halifax by the end of the century? There are already some movements toward that: Autoroute 85 soon will close the gap between Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces. Ontario is building Route 400 toward Sudbury. British Columbia plans on twinning Route 1 to close to Alberta by 2050. That leaves Alberta to Ontario, which is a huge gap (2,263 miles). But there are some big cities along there, including Calgary and Winnipeg. Winnipeg to Sudbury is the biggest hurdle, at 1,000 miles with few big cities. On the upside for feasibility, Ontario is the most populated province, although they're mostly focused on the Windsor to Ottawa corridor. After all, half of Canada lives between Windsor and Quebec City.

What do you think?

Full freeway will probably not happen for the Ontario stretch. Why they are even extending Hwy 400 from Toronto to Sudbury was really just political lobbying, since full-controlled access isn't really necessary for that stretch.

yakra

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 21, 2021, 05:36:13 PM
Back in the '80s....a new Super 2 section of highway was built from near Mill Cove to Jemseg to bypass an accident prone section of the TCH (now NB105) along the lake. This  was  eventually twinned and became part of the new 4-lane TCH.
The tree line gives away the old alignment:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8734498,-66.0170315,1500m/data=!3m1!1e3

Would this Super 2 have connected to the old 105 bridge that closed a few years back, or would the current TCH 2 bridge(s) have been part of that project?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Richard3

The reason why USA have a "unified" highway system is the 90% federal funds allowed to Interstate Highway system (and a certain %age of federal funds on US-Highway system, as well).

In Canada, almost all roads are under provincial jurisdiction, so until now, there's no "unified" canadian highway system, except for TCH.  Federal government funds roads (new roads and renovations) when provincial governments ask for help.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

cbeach40

Quote from: Richard3 on November 05, 2022, 05:00:33 PM
The reason why USA have a "unified" highway system is the 90% federal funds allowed to Interstate Highway system (and a certain %age of federal funds on US-Highway system, as well).

In Canada, almost all roads are under provincial jurisdiction, so until now, there's no "unified" canadian highway system, except for TCH.  Federal government funds roads (new roads and renovations) when provincial governments ask for help.

I mean, yes and no. The National Highway System which includes the TCH are fully under provincial jurisdiction (aside from within Federal parks) and funded provincially. Initial construction was cost shared. And Federal funding is, as mentioned, on an ad hoc basis.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/policies/national-highway-system

and waterrrrrrr!

Bickendan

Huh. Somewhat suprised that the Northern Woods and Water Route (AB-SK 55) isn't part of the Canadian NHS.

dmuzika

Quote from: Bickendan on November 09, 2022, 02:38:14 AM
Huh. Somewhat suprised that the Northern Woods and Water Route (AB-SK 55) isn't part of the Canadian NHS.

The Northern Woods and Water Route functions as more of a tourist route than a major interprovincial transport route, but the case could be made for it to be added as either a Feeder or Northern/Remote route. The section of SK 55 & SK 9 near the Manitoba border is still gravel, while certain sections in Manitoba are scenic routes along lakes while better parellel routes are available (i.e. NWRR follows MB 20 near Dauphin, while most traffic would use MB 10).

Designating the NHS as part of the Hansen Lake Road (SK 106) between Prince Albert and Flin Flon would probably be a good alternative. As an aside, it seems like the NHS started to take a lower priority when Liberals took over in 2015, with most recent online report being posted in 2017.

Bickendan

MB 20? I would have thought it would have been routed along MB 60 then down MB 6 to Winnepeg.

dmuzika

Quote from: Bickendan on November 20, 2022, 02:51:24 PM
MB 20? I would have thought it would have been routed along MB 60 then down MB 6 to Winnepeg.

It's supposed to be a "holiday route", to direct travelers to different spots for camping and fishing, etc. From Winnipeg it follows MB 6 to MB 68; east across Lake Manitoba at The Narrows to Ste. Rose du Lac; MB 5 from Ste. Rose du Lac to Ochre River; MB 20 past Dauphin Lake, through Dauphin, and along Lake Winnipegosis before continuing north on MB 10.

A more direct route would take MB 60.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.