Regional Boards > Canada

Ontario's Highways

<< < (238/251) > >>

cbeach40:

--- Quote from: andrepoiy on May 05, 2021, 12:02:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2021, 11:32:40 PM ---What's the deal with the construction markings? I know the MTO uses orange markings, but I only see them on one carriageway, despite both seemingly being under construction.

--- End quote ---

In my experience the orange markings are only used when the lanes are being shifted from their normal position

--- End quote ---

That's the short answer to it.
From the looks (and timing) of it, the westbound (approaching) lanes were painted with standard markings for over the winter shutdown and haven't been moved yet. Meanwhile shifting as restarted on the eastbound lanes and new temporary markings have been applied there.

jakeroot:
My only point was that both carriageways seem to have shifted lanes, yet only the eastbound lanes had the correct orange markings.

As I understand it: the MTO will use standard markings for shifted lanes (clearly the case westbound), but only as prelude to extended shutdowns. Is that correct?

cbeach40:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2021, 07:11:48 PM ---My only point was that both carriageways seem to have shifted lanes, yet only the eastbound lanes had the correct orange markings.

As I understand it: the MTO will use standard markings for shifted lanes (clearly the case westbound), but only as prelude to extended shutdowns. Is that correct?

--- End quote ---

Basically yes. The fact that it likely wasn't an active construction zone, and that orange markings are only temporary and as such have low durability, means that over the winter standard markings would be applied there.

Also, orange markings are typically only used in the Toronto area where lane shifts and other traffic staging changes often over the course of a project. In other parts of the province they've gone back to standard white and yellow lines as when staging is keeping low volumes of traffic in the same shift for months on end it makes sense to keep it standard even in a construction zone.

AsphaltPlanet:
Easterly view from the Martin Grove Road overpass on the 407.  The towers in the distance are at 400 and 7, and the new Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Subway station:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_407-409_images/407_cl_60_east_EB_t_May21_24x16.jpg

andrepoiy:
Pretty empty, eh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version