News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tropical Storm Sandy threatens five different countries in coming days

Started by cpzilliacus, October 23, 2012, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hm insulators

According to the Weather Channel earlier, Sandy could become a hurricane. They don't think it will make a direct landfall to the US but if it's a large-sized storm and especially if it tracks through the western Bahamas, southern Florida will probably get some wind and rain out of this.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

realjd

Schools in Brevard county and south are all closed tomorrow. It's going to be breezy... Usually my company closes when the schools are closed, so we're all hoping for a three day weekend here.

Alps

They keep pushing it farther west. I'm hoping the eye stays southwest of me. I'd much rather be on the wind side than the rain side, based on Irene.

1995hoo

All the storm coverage here has focused on grocery shopping and the like.

I'd be more concerned about money and gas for the car. Electronic gas pumps and ATMs do not work if the power is out. I remember Hurricane Fran ripping through North Carolina in 1996. Most of the gas stations didn't have generators and the gas lines were like the 1970s. The part I'll never forget was the local TV news was interviewing some damn fool woman who was complaining that she ran out of gas while she was waiting on line to get to the gas pumps.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

florida

So many roads...so little time.

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2012, 10:32:30 AM

I'd be more concerned about money and gas for the car. Electronic gas pumps and ATMs do not work if the power is out. I remember Hurricane Fran ripping through North Carolina in 1996. Most of the gas stations didn't have generators and the gas lines were like the 1970s. The part I'll never forget was the local TV news was interviewing some damn fool woman who was complaining that she ran out of gas while she was waiting on line to get to the gas pumps.

They don't mandate generators at gas stations along major highways there?

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on October 26, 2012, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2012, 10:32:30 AM

They don't mandate generators at gas stations along major highways there?

I have absolutely no idea.

triplemultiplex

Wow that is not your typical storm track for a tropical system.  I don't recall seeing another storm that wants to shift so sharply west around the mid-Atlantic states.  I was expecting that cold front marching eastward to punt that sucker out to sea.  But here I see Sandy forecast to turn into that front and getting through it? Seems abnormal to me. That's why I'm not a meteorologist.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 26, 2012, 03:53:38 PM
Wow that is not your typical storm track for a tropical system.  I don't recall seeing another storm that wants to shift so sharply west around the mid-Atlantic states.  I was expecting that cold front marching eastward to punt that sucker out to sea.  But here I see Sandy forecast to turn into that front and getting through it? Seems abnormal to me. That's why I'm not a meteorologist.

From what the local weatherman said on the 11:00 news the other night, I gather that it's not just that cold front that's in play. I don't remember exactly what the explanation was, but it had something to do with another system off New England. I see from the latest weather map there's a high-pressure center near Cape Cod right now; maybe that area is what would force Sandy to turn to the west? I'm not a meteorologist either and I just don't recall the details.

New York City could be in for a mess of flooding next week if the current forecast track holds. They'd be in the northeastern quadrant, which always gets more rain and storm surge in the Northern Hemisphere, AND you have the additional factor of a full moon making for a higher-than-normal high tide.

empirestate

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 26, 2012, 03:53:38 PM

Even if you were, it would seem abnormal. Meteorologists are reporting no recorded precedent for this behavior of the storm, so they are relying on model runs. If the model tracks are as dead-on as they were for Irene, it's going to be a mess. Of course, Irene turned out to be a blowover in NYC, so the city probably isn't on edge as it might be.

Duke87

The more urban parts of NYC don't have as much to worry about since there aren't many trees or power lines to knock down. I do not expect to lose any sort of utility service (the lines in my neighborhood are all underground and I am less than two miles from three power plants) but I have bottled up some water and snagged a flashlight just in case.

My family in the suburbs, meanwhile, likely won't fare so well. My parents were without power for a week after Irene and can probably expect an outage of similar duration this time.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Can't help but think of the recently deceased Randy Hersh. He so hated rural America that he was positively jumping for joy when those March tornadoes slammed into eastern Kentucky, and was reveling in happiness at the deaths in the area.

Now a hurricane is going to hit both his states of residence (Florida and New Jersey) and he's not around to share in the fun.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 26, 2012, 07:49:51 PM
The more urban parts of NYC don't have as much to worry about since there aren't many trees or power lines to knock down. I do not expect to lose any sort of utility service (the lines in my neighborhood are all underground and I am less than two miles from three power plants) but I have bottled up some water and snagged a flashlight just in case.

My family in the suburbs, meanwhile, likely won't fare so well. My parents were without power for a week after Irene and can probably expect an outage of similar duration this time.
Out here, for Irene we were on the rain side of the storm (the line crossed I-95 in Rye - VERY noticeably in terms of wind speed and temperature, even the next day). The flooding was the major devastation, even more than the power loss. Now it looks like we'll be on the wind side of the storm. I'm not concerned, since we get 50 mph gusts during some storms anyway, but it will be a mess cleaning up for a couple of days. I'll hope that at least one of the power lines holds up... otherwise I have a very expensive pile of squirrel chow plugged into the wall...

NE2

You'd expect a tropical storm to threaten at least five different (small island) countries...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Steve on October 26, 2012, 09:11:24 PM
Out here, for Irene we were on the rain side of the storm (the line crossed I-95 in Rye - VERY noticeably in terms of wind speed and temperature, even the next day). The flooding was the major devastation, even more than the power loss. Now it looks like we'll be on the wind side of the storm. I'm not concerned, since we get 50 mph gusts during some storms anyway, but it will be a mess cleaning up for a couple of days.

50mph gusts are common during noreasters, but there are usually no leaves on the trees when those hit. Keep in mind that these winds will likely be sustained for at least a few hours. I was lucky to not lose power during Irene (When I needed it to run a pump and wet/dry vac to keep the basement dry) or during the October snow storm. We got a generator after Irene and had it prepped for the snow storm. Needless to say, I tested it this evening. Tomorrow I will be getting some last minute supplies (extra, not really needed, but you can't be TOO prepared), moving everything off of the basement floor, and removing valuables from the second floor. I don't want to lose anything should a tree decide to pay a visit to the roof.

empirestate

Well, in my part of the Bronx, there are quite a lot of trees (the neighborhood was a wreck after Snowtobermageddon last year)...my dilemma tomorrow will be whether to fill up my gas tank in case of power failure, at the risk of losing my current parking space that isn't under a tree. While power outages due to downed lines aren't as much a risk in the city, the effects will be so widespread that we can't be sure some more far-flung problem won't cause one.

Stephane Dumas

Sandy will also hit Canada and meet a cold wind who could create a "Frankenstorn" and that storm could impact the election from what I read on a post on Toonzone. http://bit.ly/RpgRao

I wonder could be possible then that storm could decide to take a different path and going more inland like Hurricane Hazel in 1954? http://www.hurricanehazel.ca/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hazel

empirestate

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 27, 2012, 01:43:12 PM
I wonder could be possible then that storm could decide to take a different path and going more inland like Hurricane Hazel in 1954? http://www.hurricanehazel.ca/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hazel

Anything's possible I suppose, but there's strong agreement in the forecast that Sandy will come ashore in or near New Jersey, not as far south as Hazel did (if that's what you mean by "more inland"). Of course, that puts NYC and Long Island in the hot seat for storm surge effects...

roadman65

Anyway NJ is not taking any chances.  I heard on the Weatherchannel that Chris Christie has declared already, A State of Emergency for the Garden State.  Also, Cape May County has been ordered to evacuate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2012, 01:58:24 AM

Well, in my part of the Bronx, there are quite a lot of trees (the neighborhood was a wreck after Snowtobermageddon last year)...my dilemma tomorrow will be whether to fill up my gas tank in case of power failure, at the risk of losing my current parking space that isn't under a tree. While power outages due to downed lines aren't as much a risk in the city, the effects will be so widespread that we can't be sure some more far-flung problem won't cause one.

Maybe get one of those red gasoline cans and fill it up at the station so you can bring it home without moving your car? You'd probably have to have a friend take you home, though...doubt the bus/subway/taxi would like someone getting on board with several gallons of gas...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

<<< Tropical Storm Sandy threatens five different countries in coming days >>>

Most MSM news outlets are acting like it will destroy 1/3 of the world.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

On the backside of the storm, eastern Kentucky could get between four and 14 inches of snow. Yee haw! Bring it on!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I've been following Jeff Masters's blog: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2277 over at Weather Underground for Sandy, and most of the models thus far are rather scary.  The most reliable ones seem to take her just south of NYC right now, toward Perth Amboy, NJ.  What this means, from what I've seen, is that the storm surge will go right up into New York Harbor and up the Hudson River.  It doesn't seem to bode so well if you live in Staten Island or the NJ suburbs either (Elizabeth, Newark, etc).  That's where all this water will be pushing against.

I would not want to be anywhere along the Long Island coast, the eastern New Jersey coast, or any low-lying part of NYC when this thing hits land.

Interestingly, the models also seem to bring lake-effect clouds and showers to Chicago as an effect of Sandy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.