News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 18, 2021, 02:58:15 PM
From the Reversible Lane thread:

Quote from: CardInLex on April 17, 2021, 10:23:12 AM
Lexington, KY's Nicholasville Road (US 27) has three center reversible lanes controlled by overhead LEDs. One of the lanes is always a two way left turn lane while the other two are through lanes, with the direction changing based on time of day.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 17, 2021, 11:09:29 AM
That's wild!  I was expecting a 7-lane roadway, but Nicholasville Road is only 5 lanes wide.  Do they ever flip all three lanes the same direction during rush hour, or does that only happen after UK football games?

I should have known better to reply to CardinLex with a question about Kroger Field traffic.  Let's try here to see if anybody knows the answer.

Yes, I have seen it in the three outbound -- TWLTL -- one inbound configuration.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

https://hmbpe.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=de6cc3161dfa41aeb6fc662dbe2e1b44
This is interesting. There are long-term plans to widen Interstate 64 through Cherokee Park east of downtown which includes the Cochran Hill Tunnels. Proposals include widening the tunnels to provide three lanes in each direction; building a third tunnel for the peak direction; and building a third tunnel for a HOV lane.

tidecat

Quote from: seicer on May 07, 2021, 10:10:32 PM
https://hmbpe.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=de6cc3161dfa41aeb6fc662dbe2e1b44
This is interesting. There are long-term plans to widen Interstate 64 through Cherokee Park east of downtown which includes the Cochran Hill Tunnels. Proposals include widening the tunnels to provide three lanes in each direction; building a third tunnel for the peak direction; and building a third tunnel for a HOV lane.
This seems highly unnecessary. I-64 isn't bad during peak times, and there isn't traffic to justify this most of the day.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

seicer

The Nicholasville east-side bypass is now visible in Google: https://goo.gl/maps/PEUhbbWx6piBGsAf7

It looks like a high-quality bypass with a curbed median and narrower shoulders, similar to the Versailles bypass: https://goo.gl/maps/aD46wuZijCVDEtki9

74/171FAN

I missed a full clinch of I-64 as a result of this detour.  Going WB, I was surprised that the EB detour was not already the same.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/kytc-makes-change-to-i-64-detour-after-troubled-first-weekend/article_decaf190-15c6-11ec-b9bb-2362d23ea758.html
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

seicer

Good job, KYTC. Who would have thought to run trucks over narrow residential routes where the trucks couldn't make turns without running over poles and fire hydrants? The Cherokee Park neighborhood is chock full of narrow roadways.

milbfan

Are they actually going to do some road rehab on US 23, heading into/out of KY from Virginia?  Man, that's long overdue.

hbelkins

Quote from: milbfan on September 25, 2021, 04:58:38 PM
Are they actually going to do some road rehab on US 23, heading into/out of KY from Virginia?  Man, that's long overdue.

Yes. Announced this week. Pavement rehab from the state line northbound (downhill) to KY 805.

D-Dey65

The Wikipedia article on the Ironton-Russel Bridge seems to blend info from the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge into it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironton%E2%80%93Russell_Bridge
Yet they're clearly two separate bridges.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5292572,-82.6857412,1693m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Bitmapped

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 04, 2021, 02:09:55 PM
The Wikipedia article on the Ironton-Russel Bridge seems to blend info from the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge into it.

One is the replacement for the other. You're welcome to help rewrite the article(s) to clarify the situation.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 04, 2021, 05:43:15 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 04, 2021, 02:09:55 PM

One is the replacement for the other. You're welcome to help rewrite the article(s) to clarify the situation.

No one I know of refers to the bridge as the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge. Everyone calls it the Ironton-Russell Bridge. Or on this side of the river, sometimes just the Ironton Bridge.

seicer

Newscasts sometimes refer to the Robert C. Byrd Bridge in Huntington as its original name: the 6th Street Bridge. Practically no one uses honorary or name-based designations.

GCrites

That and there's tons of other stuff named after him in WV so it gets confusing. It's like Veterans' Highways in Ohio.

tolbs17

They delayed closing the Sherman Minton Bridge due to heavy rain.

Georgia

Kentucky has the middle 8 miles of the 75 widening opening and it has been great to have.  Now i can wait for the first 5 and last 7 miles to be done!!!

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2021, 07:12:46 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 15, 2021, 09:21:18 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 05:00:02 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2021, 04:40:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 03:12:32 PM
They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?
'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

Quote from: seicer on April 13, 2021, 03:47:21 PM
Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?

Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.  :bigass:

Yes, they should have it substantially complete by the end of this year, depending on the weather not being too bad this summer. It's possible that the final surface may not be laid down until next year, but the bridge over the river/KY 550/Perry Park Road should open this year.

The KYTC District 10 Facebook Page states that this project is substantially complete as of November 9, 2021.

It also looks like the KY 30 Realignment between US 421 and KY 847 will open in January.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2021, 11:54:26 AM
They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?
'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?

Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.  :bigass:

Yes, they should have it substantially complete by the end of this year, depending on the weather not being too bad this summer. It's possible that the final surface may not be laid down until next year, but the bridge over the river/KY 550/Perry Park Road should open this year.

The KYTC District 10 Facebook Page states that this project is substantially complete as of November 9, 2021.

It also looks like the KY 30 Realignment between US 421 and KY 847 will open in January.

Hmmm. Wonder who posted those updates?  :bigass:

seicer

I can't believe how much better it is rolling through Hazard. But I also keep thinking about how much could have been avoided if just right-of-way control was exercised. That segment of highway was quite old, having been built around 1965, and it included steep grades, but it also had a lot of driveway intersections at the worst of locations. I am surprised that not all of the intersections were removed - including a few driveway entrances. It's also good to see the four-lane expansion progress north to KY 267 but it didn't seem that access control is as strict there - and it's essentially a five-lane road with a center turn lane.

Unrelated to that project, but it looks like the new Cairo Bridge over the Ohio River in far western Kentucky will be replaced with a new structure immediately north of the existing crossing. Designs are centered on a Warren through truss (without verticals), a cable-stayed suspension, and an arch. I am hoping for the latter.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on November 21, 2021, 06:57:38 PM
I can't believe how much better it is rolling through Hazard. But I also keep thinking about how much could have been avoided if just right-of-way control was exercised. That segment of highway was quite old, having been built around 1965, and it included steep grades, but it also had a lot of driveway intersections at the worst of locations. I am surprised that not all of the intersections were removed - including a few driveway entrances. It's also good to see the four-lane expansion progress north to KY 267 but it didn't seem that access control is as strict there - and it's essentially a five-lane road with a center turn lane.

There were some improvements made to access control along the section north of the KY 267 overpass. Unlike the section between KY 267 and KY 80/Hal Rogers Parkway, part of that section was built on a new alignment, and the old route was left as the access points for a handful of businesses located there. It reduced the number of entrances onto the four-lane.

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on November 21, 2021, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2021, 11:54:26 AM

'

Hmmm. Wonder who posted those updates?  :bigass:

Ha ha, you had to say "coat of blacktop" instead of "course of asphalt" since you were talking to the public.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 22, 2021, 09:41:42 PM
Ha ha, you had to say "coat of blacktop" instead of "course of asphalt" since you were talking to the public.

I try to avoid engineer-speak whenever possible.

GCrites

It's better that way.

seicer

When I was looking at project plans for US 119 between Whitesburg and Harlan, I came across this interesting tidbit about the newest portion that opened just south of the Pine Mountain crossing:

The cover map seemingly shows the extension of US 119 toward Pine Mountain and the last drawing shows the extension as well. Have they determined the final routing over or under the mountain?

Google map for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/bDSjCYHu4zVt1bFe7

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on November 27, 2021, 07:45:00 PM
When I was looking at project plans for US 119 between Whitesburg and Harlan, I came across this interesting tidbit about the newest portion that opened just south of the Pine Mountain crossing:

The cover map seemingly shows the extension of US 119 toward Pine Mountain and the last drawing shows the extension as well. Have they determined the final routing over or under the mountain?

Google map for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/bDSjCYHu4zVt1bFe7

That alignment looks more like what I would expect for a tunnel than an actual mountain crossing, unless they're planning a ginormous cut at the summit. The existing road takes a lot more distance to surmount that grade, but this diagram looks like a setup for a pretty direct attack.

hbelkins

A tunnel has been the chosen option for many years, due to environmental concerns on the mountain and nearby areas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.