News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

U.S. Route 30 Indiana

Started by ITB, August 22, 2017, 01:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NE2 on October 22, 2017, 05:02:00 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on October 22, 2017, 02:28:55 PM
Isn't there some clause from when they gave responsibility of the Toll Road to private operators that they can't build a competing facility to the Toll Road?
Within a certain number of miles of the Toll Road. US 30 is far enough to not be constrained.

I don't remember the exact distance.  Very unlikely to affect US 30 east of US 31, but west of US 31 it's a lot closer to the TR, it might come into play there.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Avalanchez71

It may use some upgrades but not fully controlled access.  If they did upgrade to full interstate standards they could name it I-80S.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 22, 2017, 01:10:09 PM
It may use some upgrades but not fully controlled access.  If they did upgrade to full interstate standards they could name it I-80S.

Doubt any suffixed number would fly outside Texas; a 76 extension would be the most likely speculative designation.  But unless the ITR shows marked deterioration, it's unlikely that a massive project such as an Interstate-grade upgrade of US 30 would be considered in the near term, as INDOT has quite a bit on its plate right now with I-69 and the sporadic improvement of US 31.

ilpt4u

Doesn't even need the "S" hook -- just name it I-80 and end the duplex on the Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike of 80/90

For that to work, it needs to connect to the US 30 Freeway in Ohio, and Illinois needs to build the Illiana and connect that to US 30 Freeway in Indiana

abqtraveler

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 22, 2017, 05:21:40 PM
Doesn't even need the "S" hook -- just name it I-80 and end the duplex on the Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike of 80/90

For that to work, it needs to connect to the US 30 Freeway in Ohio, and Illinois needs to build the Illiana and connect that to US 30 Freeway in Indiana

Or I-80 could follow US-24 (which is already at or close to interstate standards) from I-469 east of New Haven, Indiana and rejoin the Ohio Turnpike in Toledo.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sparker

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 05, 2018, 10:59:34 PM

Or I-80 could follow US-24 (which is already at or close to interstate standards) from I-469 east of New Haven, Indiana and rejoin the Ohio Turnpike in Toledo.

A configuration like that -- Chicago to Fort Wayne and Fort Wayne to Toledo -- would be pointless except to serve as a "shunpiking" option (or just something to serve Fort Wayne itself), or just a way to eliminate a long Interstate multiplex (at this point, is that really bothering anyone?).  Wouldn't save mileage between the endpoints (quite the opposite); and would require considerable new-terrain construction to get it around the NWI metro area.  IMHO, if US 30 is ever really considered for a new E-W Interstate, the upgrades should extend at least to I-71 in Ohio to provide a full regional alternative; besides, there's more usable facility (or at least ROW) in Ohio than in Indiana.  As the saying goes: if you're going to do it, do it right!

Life in Paradise

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 05, 2018, 10:59:34 PM

Or.....you could just keep I-76 on the toll road ending at I-90 in Cleveland, and route I-80 on what is now non-toll I-76 in Ohio and then multiplex I-80 with I-71 down to Mansfield, and then over the rest of the way on US-30's route.  You would have to have new terrain in NW Indiana perhaps south of Merrillville and could potentially hook into what is IL-394 (Bishop Ford Memorial Freeway), which would mean only a few miles of new terrain in Illinois, and then back on I-80's current route in Illinois.  I would say it's not going to happen since there is too much money on the line for the Ohio and Indiana toll roads to allow a nearby shunpike route.

theline

This discussion went way over to the fictional side, but a new article brings us back closer to reality: http://timesuniononline.com/Content/Top-Stories-Click-for-more-top-stories/Top-Stories/Article/Panel-Outlines-Reasons-For-New-U-S-30-Freeway/82/353/113047

Momentum is starting to build, especially in the Warsaw area, to upgrade to a freeway.
QuoteOfficials said they have not embraced any specific path and hope to have a meeting this fall to unveil preliminary options that could take the highway along its current footprint or either go around Warsaw to the north or south.

The proposal is not yet an official project taken in by the Indiana Department of Transportation, but concerns for the highway were first established by a blue ribbon panel during former Gov. Mike Pence's administration and is now viewed as the next major new highway project in Indiana, [Dennis] Faulkenberg said.

Faulkenberg is a consultant working with the U.S. 30 coalition. He was formerly executive director of the U.S. 31 coalition which got some pretty good results there.

QuoteOfficials said they have not embraced any specific path and hope to have a meeting this fall to unveil preliminary options that could take the highway along its current footprint or either go around Warsaw to the north or south.

mgk920

What would the status of this be vis-a-vie the 'no compete' clause in the Toll Road's sale contract?

Mike

NE2

Quote from: mgk920 on May 25, 2018, 08:01:07 PM
What would the status of this be vis-a-vie the 'no compete' clause in the Toll Road's sale contract?
It's far enough away.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2017, 03:17:00 PM
Does US 30 in Indiana really need to be an Interstate. I think it is as likely to become an Interstate as US 31 from Indianapolis to South Bend is to become an Interstate. As in, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Advice from North Carolina: plan for a freeway all the way, even if you're only going to build a few freeway sections in the next 8-10 years. (People think NC has been rapidly building interstates all over the place, but actually the development of the I-73 freeway has taken about 40 years.) If you have a freeway plan in print, it guides future decisions as traffic increases.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 30, 2018, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2017, 03:17:00 PM
Does US 30 in Indiana really need to be an Interstate. I think it is as likely to become an Interstate as US 31 from Indianapolis to South Bend is to become an Interstate. As in, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Advice from North Carolina: plan for a freeway all the way, even if you're only going to build a few freeway sections in the next 8-10 years. (People think NC has been rapidly building interstates all over the place, but actually the development of the I-73 freeway has taken about 40 years.) If you have a freeway plan in print, it guides future decisions as traffic increases.

What's interesting about NC is that, like CA, there's (at least presently) a relatively longstanding state "master plan" regarding corridor upgrades on a statewide basis, including the N-S US 17 and NC 11 corridors, and E-W along US 74, NC 87, etc. -- and these predate the 1995 NHS federal legislation that brought about I-73/74 among others.  In other words, NC's freeway plans were in place prior to the new-Interstate-via-new-HPC routine; adding the later I-designations simply "dovetailed" into their previously-promulgated plans, no doubt aided by the revenue derived from the state's relatively high gas tax rate.  The difference between the CA and NC approaches is that in the 59 years since the first CA "master plan" was devised, many of the original planned corridors have been eliminated or truncated because of policy changes at the top or via local opposition, while most NC equivalents remain intact -- although never completely certain due to many of the same in-state considerations, including funding prioritization.  Also, the present generation of Caltrans execs couldn't give a shit about new Interstates; with their parvenu now including subsidization of local transit, they certainly have a lot more -- if not bigger -- "fish to fry".   

Henry

I-67 and I-76 in IN, how cool would that be? And they'd intersect at Plymouth to boot! (Of course, it's the current crossroads of US 30 and US 31, but I'm thinking way into the future.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.