News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgb191

I'd really like to see a Game Seven for Sixers/Knicks series.  It doesn't surprise me that the Knicks fans made a short drive down to Phila, but how come Sixers won't return the favor at MSG??  I believe MSG is only about ninety miles from Wells Fargo arena. The Lakers/Nuggets was also entertaining and disappointing at the same time....I was expecting a competitive series as well but only over in five games.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jgb191 on May 01, 2024, 03:15:02 PMI'd really like to see a Game Seven for Sixers/Knicks series.  It doesn't surprise me that the Knicks fans made a short drive down to Phila, but how come Sixers won't return the favor at MSG??  I believe MSG is only about ninety miles from Wells Fargo arena. The Lakers/Nuggets was also entertaining and disappointing at the same time....I was expecting a competitive series as well but only over in five games.

I would guess because there are a lot more Knick fans than Sixer fans, and because this is the best Knick team in years and a Sixer team that has largely disappointed.

Ted$8roadFan

Celtics exorcise the ghosts of last year and beat the Heat in 5.

JayhawkCO

I made a bet before the playoffs began that the Pacers and Knicks would both win their series in 6 games. It pays 40-1. Here's hoping I have a good night tonight.

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 02, 2024, 10:15:34 AMI made a bet before the playoffs began that the Pacers and Knicks would both win their series in 6 games. It pays 40-1. Here's hoping I have a good night tonight.
The Bucks are out, thanks to the Pacers. So you're halfway there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Tasty little win for my bank account.

bing101

mgk920

Lakers fired their head coach, too.

Mike

Henry

For only the sixth time, the NBA has crowned its unanimous Rookie of the Year, so the Wemby era has officially begun.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

Any news on the new TV package? I'd heard that there is a possibility that NBC might edge out Turner/TBS as the second broadcast network (with more games going to Peacock, of course). That would put the Inside the NBa crew of Ernie/Kenny/Barkley and Shaq at real risk, which would be bad.

Henry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 07, 2024, 01:41:41 PMAny news on the new TV package? I'd heard that there is a possibility that NBC might edge out Turner/TBS as the second broadcast network (with more games going to Peacock, of course). That would put the Inside the NBa crew of Ernie/Kenny/Barkley and Shaq at real risk, which would be bad.
If that happens, NBC may want to force Fox to give up its college hoops theme, since they had it first. And assuming ABC/ESPN will be the top channel, I'm anticipating a throwback to their shared MLB coverage that ran from 1977-89, and was briefly revived in 1994-95 (as The--ill-fated--Baseball Network). Even if Turner doesn't make it back (and I think it's highly unlikely, considering their award-winning coverage and studio show), I can see Kenny, Barkley and Shaq get new jobs at the network(s) that would replace it. At least Ernie will still have MLB, the NHL and NCAA Tournament (during the annual crossover to CBS) to keep him busy.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2024, 10:14:31 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 07, 2024, 01:41:41 PMAny news on the new TV package? I'd heard that there is a possibility that NBC might edge out Turner/TBS as the second broadcast network (with more games going to Peacock, of course). That would put the Inside the NBa crew of Ernie/Kenny/Barkley and Shaq at real risk, which would be bad.
If that happens, NBC may want to force Fox to give up its college hoops theme, since they had it first. And assuming ABC/ESPN will be the top channel, I'm anticipating a throwback to their shared MLB coverage that ran from 1977-89, and was briefly revived in 1994-95 (as The--ill-fated--Baseball Network). Even if Turner doesn't make it back (and I think it's highly unlikely, considering their award-winning coverage and studio show), I can see Kenny, Barkley and Shaq get new jobs at the network(s) that would replace it. At least Ernie will still have MLB, the NHL and NCAA Tournament (during the annual crossover to CBS) to keep him busy.

I don't think that show works without Ernie.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 08, 2024, 08:50:16 AMI don't think that show works without Ernie.

Yeah, every comedy team needs a straight man.  Ernie is the counterpoint to the at times goofiness of the other guys.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Well, the Cleveland Cavaliers season is over. The Boston Celtics won both the game 113-98 and the series 4-1. Although it was expected that the Celtics would prevail, my favorite team was missing a few players: Donavon Mitchell, Jarret Allen, and Caris LeVert. Still, the Cavs made it to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2018, so it was a successful season.

NWI_Irish96

Fun fact about playoff scheduling:

The Sunday of Memorial Day weekend always has a Western Conference Finals game, never Eastern, because there are two cities with Eastern Conference teams where it would be virtually impossible to hold games that day.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 16, 2024, 02:35:57 PMFun fact about playoff scheduling:

The Sunday of Memorial Day weekend always has a Western Conference Finals game, never Eastern, because there are two cities with Eastern Conference teams where it would be virtually impossible to hold games that day.

I don't know about Charlotte, but the Indy 500 and a Pacers playoff game has happened on the same day multiple times.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 16, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 16, 2024, 02:35:57 PMFun fact about playoff scheduling:

I don't know about Charlotte, but the Indy 500 and a Pacers playoff game has happened on the same day multiple times.

I'd have to look it up, but my memory of their appearances in the EC Finals is that their games were on Saturday/Monday, not on Sunday.

74/171FAN

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 16, 2024, 03:02:42 PM

I'd have to look it up, but my memory of their appearances in the EC Finals is that their games were on Saturday/Monday, not on Sunday.

I think it is honestly a nonissue.  The Pacers would theoretically not play until the Indy 500 is long over, and Charlotte Motor Speedway is well northeast of Uptown Charlotte.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 16, 2024, 03:12:18 PM

I think it is honestly a nonissue.  The Pacers would theoretically not play until the Indy 500 is long over, and Charlotte Motor Speedway is well northeast of Uptown Charlotte.

I can't speak to Charlotte, but playing even an evening game in Indy would absolutely be a huge issue. 400,000 people go to the Indy 500, many of them are staying downtown.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 16, 2024, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 16, 2024, 03:12:18 PM

I can't speak to Charlotte, but playing even an evening game in Indy would absolutely be a huge issue. 400,000 people go to the Indy 500, many of them are staying downtown.

It's okay. The Hornets never make the playoffs anyway.  :-P

SEWIGuy

They've played conference finals games on the same day as the Indy 500 before.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2013/05/26/pacers-and-racers-indy-500-and-indiana-pacers-promote-each-other-on-big-day-for-indianapolis/?sh=38b45d6b2baf

tdindy88

Ahh yes, the Racers and the Pacers. I remember that too, I know they've played on Sunday evening after the race before. Last time I think they lost the game, which put a little of a damper on Race Day.

Though this Western Conference Finals being on the Sunday might be a newer development of late.

The Ghostbuster

Well, that was a surprise. The Denver Nuggets led the Minnesota Timberwolves 3 games to 2. Denver has won the last three games. Finishing off Minnesota should have been easy, right? Guess again. Denver really laid an egg, being blown out by the Timberwolves 115-70: https://www.nba.com/game/den-vs-min-0042300236/box-score. Game 7 is Sunday back in Denver. Will the Nuggets recover and advance to the Western Conference Finals, or will Minnesota upset them again and reach the WCF for the first time since 2004 (the only time they ever got that far in the playoffs).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.