News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oak Brook makes offer to avoid red light cameras near Oakbrook Center mall

Started by Brandon, November 29, 2016, 05:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2016, 01:18:13 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
So it sounds like that the only hang up people here have is the method of enforcement.

Thus I propose a perfectly-calibrated, non-misleading red-light camera. All of you support it, right?
As long as revenue from the camera - after payment of fixed charge to service provider - is donated to an independent charity instead of being included in next year budget for municipality.
If  safety is the major goal, that should be perfectly acceptable solution.

Good...so you support red-light cameras.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2016, 01:16:34 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 12:32:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2016, 12:20:54 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 12:11:24 PM
You seem to have really low standards for motorists, based on your presumption that they're too unskilled to watch for a light being either red or yellow/green.

Based on your example, it seems that you assume that motorists anticipate if a light will be green, yellow, or red. That's very dangerous because drivers should be looking if a light is a certain color, not anticipating.

Again, I don't know why it's too much to ask drivers to come to a stop when a light is red. It's pretty elementary.

So if I see a light is green from 1,000 feet away, I don't need to anticipate the light will turn?  I can be assured that when I reach the light in 20 seconds, the light will still be green?

And when a typical driving test is approximately 50 questions, along with a driving test that lasts approximately no more than 10 minutes, then yes, not only do I have really low standards, but so does everyone else.  Having high standards would mean we wouldn't need signs for everything.

The great thing about lights are you don't need to anticipate or be assured of anything. Go the posted speed limit and stop or go depending on the color of the light. Since you apparently don't have much confidence in your knowledge of motoring laws, I'll gladly send you my old driver's education material. For what it's worth, we did discuss the concept of stopping at red lights, and I believe everyone passed the section, although that was when we were in high school so it's been a while.

Can you please send me the driving records of everyone in your class to see if anyone has ever been cited for failing to stop/yield at a red light.

Sure what's your mailing address?

You can PM me the records.

And since I know your in denial of any issues with red light cameras, go back to what I said about a CEO of a company going to jail.  It is extremely unlikely a CEO will go to jail.  Corporations are set up that usually insulate a CEO or any particular officer of a company from  wrongdoing.  When they are caught doing something wrong, more often than not they are removed from the company, but no criminal charges are pressed against them.

Much can be said about politicians.  Many are considered to be scum, with a high acceptance that they are probably doing something wrong, securing no-bid contracts with certain vendors, accepting gifts, etc.

For a CEO to be criminally charged and sent to prison is virtually unheard of.  That's how bad the red light camera industry has gotten.  Why they're even allowed to continue to operate anywhere...well, see the paragraph above.

kalvado

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:21:33 PM
So it sounds like that the only hang up people here have is the method of enforcement.

Thus I propose a perfectly-calibrated, non-misleading red-light camera. All of you support it, right?
As long as revenue from the camera - after payment of fixed charge to service provider - is donated to an independent charity instead of being included in next year budget for municipality.

I support any measures which are aimed at improving safety, and improving in cost-efficient manner. Which means I don't support things per se, I support  or don't support them in certain context.
I support traffic lights on arterials. I don't support traffic lights on either my street with estimated traffic of 50 vehicles/day, and I don't support them on nearby interstate with 50+k/day. Safety improvement would be insignificant compared to the cost of lights installation in first case, and non-existent in the second.
Unfortunately some things - like roundabouts and red light cameras - can be easily abused.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2016, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2016, 01:16:34 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 12:32:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2016, 12:20:54 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 12:11:24 PM
You seem to have really low standards for motorists, based on your presumption that they're too unskilled to watch for a light being either red or yellow/green.

Based on your example, it seems that you assume that motorists anticipate if a light will be green, yellow, or red. That's very dangerous because drivers should be looking if a light is a certain color, not anticipating.

Again, I don't know why it's too much to ask drivers to come to a stop when a light is red. It's pretty elementary.

So if I see a light is green from 1,000 feet away, I don't need to anticipate the light will turn?  I can be assured that when I reach the light in 20 seconds, the light will still be green?

And when a typical driving test is approximately 50 questions, along with a driving test that lasts approximately no more than 10 minutes, then yes, not only do I have really low standards, but so does everyone else.  Having high standards would mean we wouldn't need signs for everything.

The great thing about lights are you don't need to anticipate or be assured of anything. Go the posted speed limit and stop or go depending on the color of the light. Since you apparently don't have much confidence in your knowledge of motoring laws, I'll gladly send you my old driver's education material. For what it's worth, we did discuss the concept of stopping at red lights, and I believe everyone passed the section, although that was when we were in high school so it's been a while.

Can you please send me the driving records of everyone in your class to see if anyone has ever been cited for failing to stop/yield at a red light.

Sure what's your mailing address?

You can PM me the records.

And since I know your in denial of any issues with red light cameras, go back to what I said about a CEO of a company going to jail.  It is extremely unlikely a CEO will go to jail.  Corporations are set up that usually insulate a CEO or any particular officer of a company from  wrongdoing.  When they are caught doing something wrong, more often than not they are removed from the company, but no criminal charges are pressed against them.

Much can be said about politicians.  Many are considered to be scum, with a high acceptance that they are probably doing something wrong, securing no-bid contracts with certain vendors, accepting gifts, etc.

For a CEO to be criminally charged and sent to prison is virtually unheard of.  That's how bad the red light camera industry has gotten.  Why they're even allowed to continue to operate anywhere...well, see the paragraph above.

Let me guess...9/11 was an inside job by the CEOs of red light companies...  :rolleyes:

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2016, 01:30:28 PM

I support any measures which are aimed at improving safety, and improving in cost-efficient manner. Which means I don't support things per se, I support  or don't support them in certain context.
I support traffic lights on arterials. I don't support traffic lights on either my street with estimated traffic of 50 vehicles/day, and I don't support them on nearby interstate with 50+k/day. Safety improvement would be insignificant compared to the cost of lights installation in first case, and non-existent in the second.
Unfortunately some things - like roundabouts and red light cameras - can be easily abused.

But you do support coming to a complete stop at a red light, correct?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:32:38 PM
Let me guess...9/11 was an inside job by the CEOs of red light companies...  :rolleyes:

CEOs also caused the mass extinction of dinosaurs and the Virgin Mary giving birth to Jesus.  I believe the wrong number that dialed me recently from what sounded like an older lady by was probably a prank by a drunk CEO at a holiday party.   And whenever my coffee doesn't taste right, I blame Dunkin Donut's CEO.  Don't give me any crap about the fact I brewed my own coffee I bought at Sams Club on a Kerieg...I know DD's CEO was behind it.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 01:39:25 PM

Yes.  I don't support cameras as a mechanism for enforcing that rule however.  They have been shown to be abused (especially in Illinois) and don't lead to safety improvements. 

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 30, 2016, 01:54:07 PM

Yes.  I don't support cameras as a mechanism for enforcing that rule however.  They have been shown to be abused (especially in Illinois) and don't lead to safety improvements.

There are countless examples of police corruption. Hence I presume that you don't support the use of police as an enforcement mechanism, correct?

kphoger

Driving is a form of human interaction; as such, its enforcement should be done by humans actually present at the scene.  I'm sure several of us have been in a situation where it was safer to run a red light than not (I have).  A physical police officer can make that judgment call; a camera cannot.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 02:06:39 PM
Driving is a form of human interaction; as such, its enforcement should be done by humans actually present at the scene.  I'm sure several of us have been in a situation where it was safer to run a red light than not (I have).  A physical police officer can make that judgment call; a camera cannot.

Ah ha...so it's not about stuff like yellow light timing, or revenue, or evil CEOs.

As I figured, it comes down to the fact that people want to pick and choose which rules apply to themselves.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 02:00:08 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 30, 2016, 01:54:07 PM

There are countless examples of police corruption. Hence I presume that you don't support the use of police as an enforcement mechanism, correct?

No because that is hyperbolic ridiculousness.  If there are vehicles that allow corruption to take place, and those vehicles are not useful to society (in this case it doesn't improve safety), then those vehicles should not be used.

AlexandriaVA

Your claim that cops are okay but cameras aren't is arbitrary since both are imperfect. Just admit that you want to keep your precious "rolling stop"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 03:10:39 PM
Your claim that cops are okay but cameras aren't is arbitrary since both are imperfect. Just admit that you want to keep your precious "rolling stop"

No.  I don't care about my rolling stop.  I care about municipalities using cameras as a revenue generating mechanism under the guise of a safety issue.

Why do you support them so vehemently?

kalvado

Once you can reasonably define "complete stop", we may talk about that. I don't see a need to set a parking brake (which is how "complete stop" defined for buses and airplanes) at each stop sign.

kphoger

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 03:10:39 PM

I do care about a rolling stop.  If a real-live police officer decides that coming almost but not quite to a complete stop before turning right at a red light when nobody is around, but a machine decides doing so constitutes a safety hazard and automatically issues a citation, then I have a fundamental problem with that.  All sorts of traffic laws–speed limits, stop signs, lane use, headlight bulbs, you name it–have fuzzy edges, and that is a good thing.  Police officers have the discretion to let things slide, give a warning, or issue a ticket; this is because they are best qualified to determine what is actually posing a hazard and what is not, and they are able to tell an honest mistake from an intentional dangerous maneuver.  A machine cannot do these things, and that is my big beef with camera enforcement.

And, especially if there is a legitimate reason for running a red light that an actual human can see but a machine cannot (there's someone approaching the street with a gun, you're part of a funeral procession, a gravel truck is tailgating you and driving erratically, etc), I would be severely ticked off to receive a computer-generated citation and have to fight it.

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 30, 2016, 02:13:29 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 02:06:39 PM

Ah ha...so it's not about stuff like yellow light timing, or revenue, or evil CEOs.

As I figured, it comes down to the fact that people want to pick and choose which rules apply to themselves.

Maybe, maybe not.  But I think it's at least as fair to say people want a live human being trained in law enforcement to have some say in which rules are enforced to what degree.

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2016, 03:50:42 PM
Once you can reasonably define "complete stop", we may talk about that. I don't see a need to set a parking brake (which is how "complete stop" defined for buses and airplanes) at each stop sign.

This is silly.  A complete stop is when your wheels stop moving.  A rolling stop is when they don't quite stop moving.  Quit pretending common sense doesn't matter.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 07:43:34 PM

This is silly.  A complete stop is when your wheels stop moving.  A rolling stop is when they don't quite stop moving.  Quit pretending common sense doesn't matter.
[/quote]
Common sense is long since dead in US, especially in courts. We're talking about tickets being issued - so please provide a legal definition of full stop, which would include possibility of gear backlash and tires cooldown.
Or we can talk safety and engineering common sense, and try to come up with some numbers - which are likely to be somewhat different from blanket statements.

kphoger

In your state, it's defined as...
Quote from: New York Vehicle and Traffic Law, S 146. Stop.
... complete cessation from movement.

Nothing in there about parking brakes, gear backlash, tires cooldown, or any other nonsense blather.

Of course, actually having been provided a legal definition won't satisfy you either, and you'll probably just find some other silly bone to pick...
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 08:12:22 PM

Nothing in there about parking brakes, gear backlash, tires cooldown, or any other nonsense blather.

Of course, actually having been provided a legal definition won't satisfy you either, and you'll probably just find some other silly bone to pick...
I am not sure if they still teach that in elementary schools, but "complete cessation from movement" requires cooling things down to absolute zero...  You don't have complete movement cessation, you have poor measurement instruments.
I don't think that car moving 1 foot over 3 second wait (which is another funny number people trying to make up, but )  would create a hazard. Of course, conflicting traffic would require longer wait - but 1 foot is not something that makes a difference with typical intersection spacing.
So realistic requirement would be "less than 0.3 fps", or "below 1/4 MPH" or so, and any stronger requirement has nothing to do with safety.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2016, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 08:12:22 PM

I am not sure if they still teach that in elementary schools, but "complete cessation from movement" requires cooling things down to absolute zero...  You don't have complete movement cessation, you have poor measurement instruments.
I don't think that car moving 1 foot over 3 second wait (which is another funny number people trying to make up, but )  would create a hazard. Of course, conflicting traffic would require longer wait - but 1 foot is not something that makes a difference with typical intersection spacing.
So realistic requirement would be "less than 0.3 fps", or "below 1/4 MPH" or so, and any stronger requirement has nothing to do with safety.

I agree with your assertion that strong requirements in this regard have nothing to do with safety.  But your refusal to accept a normal, commonsense, legal definition of "stop" is still ludicrous.
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2016, 10:02:47 PM
I agree with your assertion that strong requirements in this regard have nothing to do with safety.  But your refusal to accept a normal, commonsense, legal definition of "stop" is still ludicrous.
Every complex problem has a simple, obvious, commonsense solution - which is unfortunately wrong one.
Remember, this definition is tied to red light cameras (and, just to remind you, this thread is about red light cameras at certain location)  - where full stop starts to be defined as "car not visibly moving on consequent frames" - and time between frames started to drift towards double digit seconds. Not uncommon situation, where things drift far away from their original purpose and start to get abused...

GeekJedi

Quote from: kalvado on December 30, 2016, 08:51:43 PM

I am not sure if they still teach that in elementary schools, but "complete cessation from movement" requires cooling things down to absolute zero...

"I was confused as well because instead of a full stop, I thought that they meant cooling down to absolute zero!"

Said nobody, ever.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

hotdogPi

Here's the problem:

0.1 mph is definitely safe. However, it is not completely stopped. What should the threshold for being "stopped" be?

0? 0.001? 0.1? 0.5? 2? 5? Getting exactly 0 is pretty much impossible, while 5 mph allows for slow rolling stops. The threshold needs to be set in between, but where exactly?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on December 31, 2016, 10:42:45 AM
Here's the problem:

0.1 mph is definitely safe. However, it is not completely stopped. What should the threshold for being "stopped" be?

0? 0.001? 0.1? 0.5? 2? 5? Getting exactly 0 is pretty much impossible, while 5 mph allows for slow rolling stops. The threshold needs to be set in between, but where exactly?
Matter of good judgement (non-existent). So an overly strong restriction is applied with assumption it is going to be somewhat violated, but that would still be within safety margin. That is where I am fine with the system. Then a even stronger requirement is applied on top - which I think is an overkill and Robin Hood taxation. And it is automated enforcement that makes it possible.
We had another barking competition in NY thread - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1487.2625 towards the end of the page - regarding official recommendation of 5 second stop to avoid red light camera ticket. Quoting myself:
Quote from: kalvado on December 19, 2016, 04:46:20 PM
5 seconds is absolutely meaningless number. I would say this is as close to prohibiting turn on red as it can get without actually prohibiting it.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on December 31, 2016, 09:40:54 AM
Remember, this definition is tied to red light cameras (and, just to remind you, this thread is about red light cameras at certain location)  - where full stop starts to be defined as "car not visibly moving on consequent frames"

Aha!  This is a real issue.  How, exactly, does a red-light camera determine a full stop has been made?  A real-life traffic cop will usually consider a 0.3-mph rolling stop to be just as good as a full stop when turning right on red, especially if the driver holds that 0.3 mph for long enough to determine a clear path.  By that last part, I mean slowing to almost but not quite a dead stop, taking five seconds to look for cross traffic while barely inching forward, then proceeding safely to complete a right turn.  A real-life traffic cop will see that you're driving safely and for all intents and purposes stopped at the light; a camera, OTOH, will see nothing but movement and cite you for dangerous driving.

FYI (as it might relate), Illinois defines "stop" in exactly the same language as New York.

Quote from: (625 ILCS 5/1-199) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-199) Sec. 1-199. Stop.
Male pronouns, please.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
Quote from: kalvado on December 31, 2016, 09:40:54 AM
Remember, this definition is tied to red light cameras (and, just to remind you, this thread is about red light cameras at certain location)  - where full stop starts to be defined as "car not visibly moving on consequent frames"

Aha!  This is a real issue.  How, exactly, does a red-light camera determine a full stop has been made?  A real-life traffic cop will usually consider a 0.3-mph rolling stop to be just as good as a full stop when turning right on red, especially if the driver holds that 0.3 mph for long enough to determine a clear path.  By that last part, I mean slowing to almost but not quite a dead stop, taking five seconds to look for cross traffic while barely inching forward, then proceeding safely to complete a right turn.  A real-life traffic cop will see that you're driving safely and for all intents and purposes stopped at the light; a camera, OTOH, will see nothing but movement and cite you for dangerous driving.

FYI (as it might relate), Illinois defines "stop" in exactly the same language as New York.

Quote from: (625 ILCS 5/1-199) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-199) Sec. 1-199. Stop.

What about where you need to stop after the line to be able to see if you can make a safe light on red?  The they removed near / on Woodfield Rd? was like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.