States you have traveled through, but never made it on an interstate

Started by roadman65, December 07, 2013, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

I've been on interstates on every state I've ever driven in, but I have manage to make it border to border in a few states without doing so.  Some examples:

WV: US 11 (I-81 was total backed up)
VA: US 340 (ok, so it's the 1 mile section near Harper's Ferry.)
DE: US 13, DE 92, US 202, DE 141, DE 4, DE 279
VT: Twice. US 4, and VT 11/VT 30/VT 149
NH: E-W: NH 11, N-S: US 1
ME: US 302, ME 111/ME 11
MD: MD 896 :sombrero:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

Idaho, Montana, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.  A small bit of interstate (I-25) in New Mexico and (I-91) in Vermont.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Kacie Jane

My only one would be Maine.  My family vacationed in Jackman once, and we came in from the north after visiting Montreal.

Roadsguy

I went on a road trip with my dad (qguy) to Painted Post, NY back in 2009 to drive all of I-99 as well as the future part up US 15. I can't remember if we actually got on I-86 or not before turning back down 15, but if not, then I've never been on any of New York's Interstates.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mdcastle

Delaware (entered on foot only walking around the Mason Dixon marker at the corner); Alabama, New Hampshire, (drove in on a non-interstate and immediately turned around; Arizona.

I've heard all kinds of anal-retentive rules about what it takes to "count" a state. Supposed I'm in the airport lounge and someone calls me and asks where I am. Am I going to say "Arizona" or "I'm not in any state right now". If I decide to smack the guy next to me with a newspaper, does that mean I get away from it because I'm not really in Arizona and thus there's no state to prosecute me? I told a friend at work I was going to go to Oregon and turn around to say I had been there. She said it doesn't count unless you eat a meal there, so I told her I'd bring some trail mix along in the car.

Duke87

I've been on some length of interstate in every state I've been to, and there are a several states (IL, MO, KS, TX, OK, SC, NC) where I've yet to stray more than a block away from an interstate.

In terms of the opposite extreme, Louisiana wins. I entered from the north on US 65 and exited to the east on I-20, for a total of 16 miles on an interstate. I barely clipped a corner of the state in general: only two counties sorry, parishes :-D worth.

Mississippi also gets honorable mention, my route through the state was I-20, US 49, I-65, US 98. A bit more distance on interstates but mostly off of them. The sun set when I was in Hattiesburg and the only stop I made in the state was to briefly pull over on US 98 and put my feet on the ground for two seconds so I could say I'd been to Mississippi.

I was also almost exclusively off interstates through Utah (only I-70 from CO to US 191, and I-15 from UT 9 to AZ). but unlike Mississippi which was pretty forgettable, I actually saw some really cool stuff in Utah, so I don't file it under "I've barely been there".

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

I have Arizona. (Traveled on AZ 89A)

I have Illinois. (By foot in Chicago)

I would have DC, except it's not a state.

I have passed through a lot of states by train. Does that count? If not, does changing trains in Portland, Oregon count?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

corco

Quote from: Mdcastle on December 07, 2013, 11:10:53 PM
Delaware (entered on foot only walking around the Mason Dixon marker at the corner); Alabama, New Hampshire, (drove in on a non-interstate and immediately turned around; Arizona.

I've heard all kinds of anal-retentive rules about what it takes to "count" a state. Supposed I'm in the airport lounge and someone calls me and asks where I am. Am I going to say "Arizona" or "I'm not in any state right now". If I decide to smack the guy next to me with a newspaper, does that mean I get away from it because I'm not really in Arizona and thus there's no state to prosecute me? I told a friend at work I was going to go to Oregon and turn around to say I had been there. She said it doesn't count unless you eat a meal there, so I told her I'd bring some trail mix along in the car.

If somebody calls you and asks where you are, the correct answer would be "the Phoenix Airport" not "Arizona"- then let the person talking to you decide where you are. If I were talking to you on the phone and you said "Arizona", I and I assume most people would assume you're not sitting at the airport.

As far as who would prosecute you, you'd be under the authority of an airport authority, which would typically involve both TSA and airport police that are (depending on the airport, but almost always at airports large enough that you'd connect in) separate from your typical county sheriffs/city police. Depending on the crime, you're likely to be tried in a federal court if you commit an offense in the secure zone of an airport, so you're not really in the legal jurisdiction of whatever state. There's a very good chance the federal court will kick it back to the local court if it's a relatively minor offense, but that's their burden.

sipes23

I've not been on the interstate in Oregon and Oklahoma. I'd say it's a trend, but I've logged a few interstate miles in Ohio. And Utah, to break the trend.

The first time I was in Maine, I logged a road's width of pavement before leaving the pavement for a day. In York county no less.

pj3970

Jardine

Massachusetts and Delaware.

Have spent nearly a week in both states and never got near an Interstate.

I spent a long weekend in San Diego and never drove on an Interstate, but was a passenger in a car on I-15  for a few miles.

roadfro

Quote from: corco on December 07, 2013, 05:16:00 PM
As far as first entries into states-

Nevada- flew into Reno, drove to Tahoe in like 1990. That wouldn't have involved an interstate. Didn't get on an interstate in Nevada until 2009 or so around Las Vegas.

Corco, if you traveled from the Reno airport to Lake Tahoe via the US 395 freeway, that would have been part of hidden I-580, which wasn't signed until 2012 but was approved by FHWA as a route in the 1980s.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

empirestate

The idea is that you're in a secure transit zone that isn't really even under county jurisdiction. Personally, I don't count it but to each their own.

Of course, a great many airports are owned by the county...

Brandon

Quote from: empirestate on December 08, 2013, 07:11:20 AM
The idea is that you're in a secure transit zone that isn't really even under county jurisdiction. Personally, I don't count it but to each their own.

Of course, a great many airports are owned by the county...

And some (O'Hare, Midway) are owned by the city.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

QuoteOf course, a great many airports are owned by the county...

Except that Minneapolis-St. Paul Int'l (MSP) is not one of them.

Back to the original topic, there are 3 states I've been to where I haven't touched an Interstate:  Idaho (SE portion), Arizona (near Four Corners), and Colorado (also near Four Corners).

1995hoo

Quote from: doorknob60 on December 07, 2013, 06:23:03 PM
For me, only Wyoming. I've been to Yellowstone, Jackson, and many of the US highways in the area, but never on any of the interstates there.

Your posts prompts me to add Wyoming to my list as well. I had forgotten about it. We went to Laramie for a Virginia—Wyoming football game but took US-287 in both directions and never used the Interstate in Wyoming.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Alps

Montana. I've been to the corner of Yellowstone, and then all the way across on US 2 with several dips north and south, but never set tire on I-90 or I-15.
Idaho (for now), haven't been to the part of the state with Interstates. Plan to do that soon, though.

cpzilliacus

Only have crossed Pennsylvania on non-Interstate U.S. 15 from S to N and from N to S.

Also Vermont and New Hampshire headed east, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the routings, except that they were not on any Interstates.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bassoon1986

Colorado for me although I may be on an interstate there tomorrow. I've only been to the Durango area for skiing.

corco

Quote from: roadfro on December 08, 2013, 03:57:09 AM
As far as first entries into states-

Nevada- flew into Reno, drove to Tahoe in like 1990. That wouldn't have involved an interstate. Didn't get on an interstate in Nevada until 2009 or so around Las Vegas.

Corco, if you traveled from the Reno airport to Lake Tahoe via the US 395 freeway, that would have been part of hidden I-580, which wasn't signed until 2012 but was approved by FHWA as a route in the 1980s.

Heh, didn't realize it was a freeway that far back. Scratch that one off then.

JMoses24

If Washington, DC can count, I never got so much as one tire on the interstate there. Since there's some ambiguity about trains, I won't count my first (and so far only) visit to Arkansas.

If one counts first entries, then North Carolina at Newfound Gap in the 90's. I didn't take any interstates there until an early 2000's trip to Myrtle Beach, which used I-40 and I-26. Beyond that, I don't have any. Every state I've visited by car, I've had to use interstates.

DevalDragon

How about US 395 from Reno NV to Las Vegas NV - 450 miles on nothing and a 75mph 2 lane road.

Or US 95 from Winnemucca NV to Boise ID; goes thru a desolate 120 miles of Oregon with no Interstates in that state.

Scott5114

Colorado: Entered from US-287/385 and turned around where convenient.
Kentucky: Entered from the bridge from Cairo, IL and turned around where convenient.

NM barely doesn't count–I was only in the state long enough to clinch NM-406...except for one time I entered Quay County on I-40 and did a U-turn across the median, so I was only on a few dozen yards of NM interstate. (This was probably illegal, but not hazardous because it occurred in the wee hours of the morning and there was little traffic.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

Quote from: corco on December 07, 2013, 05:16:00 PMI've connected in the Tokyo airport before, but I don't think it'd be right to say I've been to Japan since I never left the secure transit area. That may be slightly different though, since leaving that secure transit area (clearing passport control, etc) would be more challenging than walking out of the Minneapolis airport.
Yes, there's a difference between that, and an internal flight. Or what I did at Detroit, which was to enter the USA there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.