Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 23, 2014, 10:01:27 PM
Couldn't even find a road name... I've seen better exit signs in the Appalachian Mountains for tiny, tiny streets better than that.

My strategy would be to use a placename, no matter how obscure.  Its usage as the main identifier of a highway exit would make it less obscure over time.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Or if no placename is available, some arbitrary name, maybe even a noun picked at random out of the dictionary, would be an improvement over the current situation. At least "Shoehorn" or "Quartermaster" would be an improvement in memorability over "Exit 113".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on January 25, 2014, 04:17:39 AM
Or Old US 26.

Perhaps, but apparently the DOT doesn't want to use any name for the road that isn't already posted on that road by the agency that maintains it.  On the other hand, if we're willing to settle for obscure or made-up placenames, I suppose otherwise-unsigned road names will do as well.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

briantroutman

Apparently, this sign indicating "TO I-82"  is on I-82 itself near Kennewick, WA. It should say "TO I-182" . Conveniently enough, it would cause a gullible motorist who had just skirted by the Kennewick area to turn around and head back to the city center.

There's a story in the Tri-City Herald about it here.

SSOWorld

Sine Salad on Yarnell at 210 by ssoworld, on Flickr
Quite a staple of Los Angles - The sign on the pole is LA's, the bgs is CalTrans's as is the standard "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" shield below.

Arroyo Seco Pkwy (SR 110) Entrance by ssoworld, on Flickr

Another - this time with "PARKWAY ENTRANCE"
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jbnv

I'm not sure what is going on here... (Green-on-white is out, white-on-black is in.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

txstateends

Quote from: jbnv on January 29, 2014, 11:53:14 PM
I'm not sure what is going on here... (Green-on-white is out, white-on-black is in.)

Nice solid sign post is out, older rusty off-center signpost is in??
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jbnv

I'm sorry, I meant that Louisiana is phasing out the green-on-white shields in favor of the white-on-black shields.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mrsman

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 27, 2014, 06:44:08 AM

Sine Salad on Yarnell at 210 by ssoworld, on Flickr
Quite a staple of Los Angles - The sign on the pole is LA's, the bgs is CalTrans's as is the standard "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" shield below.

Arroyo Seco Pkwy (SR 110) Entrance by ssoworld, on Flickr

Another - this time with "PARKWAY ENTRANCE"

It seems like LA just added their own signs at every freeway entrance, even when there is a perfectly usable Caltrans sign is right there.  Part of the reason for installation of these signs was to produce a blue sign (or equivalent) at every traffic signal.  When I was growing up in LA in the 1970's and 1980's there were blue signs at every traffic light with an intersecting street.  A great thing that allowed for people to clearly see the name of the cross street as these were large signs.

Later on, about 10 years ago, someone got the idea that these signs were needed at other signals as well.  So we see yellow PED XING, and green Freeway Entrance signs at the freeway on-ramp signals.  Now, I wouldn't call these redundant, since LA drivers are programmed to look for the blue sign hanging under the mast arm and expect to see something there (or possibly over the right traffic light, which is how they used to do it).

BUt the examples above are purely redundant.  Why waste the money on putting up a sign that doesn't add any new information.

Also, some directional confusion for the 101 Ventura Freeway.  The Ventura Freeway is East/West, but US 101 is north/south.  On some Caltrans sings you'd see Ventura Fwy East/West without highway number, or US 101 North/South without Freeway names.  But  at least these usually featured control cities.  When LA started signing the signs at traffic lights we simply see Us 101 East right arrow.  Wrong and confusing!

Brandon

If you post a new one, removing the old one is usually a good idea.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2014, 11:32:59 AM

I'll bet they did several days later.  better to have two than to have zero, especially for regulatory signage.

somewhere I have a photo of two identical speed limit 25 signs on the same post.  not sure what was going on there.

it could be worse - somewhere I have a photo of a speed limit 35 and a speed limit 25 sharing the post!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 18, 2014, 01:19:35 PM

I'll bet they did several days later. 

Not so sure they did.  Google caught it as well: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.490015,-88.165777&spn=0.009339,0.021136&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.49006,-88.165729&panoid=BMA2i2h8FFrGi2ImkXJzKQ&cbp=12,151.73,,3,0.19

Note the lack of green in the my photo and the green in Google's image.  It was up that way for at least 3 or 4 months.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

jeffandnicole

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 18, 2014, 01:19:35 PM

Likewise: http://goo.gl/maps/5KsGG

In this case, you clearly see the old Exit 25 mph sign.  They posted a new one about 100 feet away that should convey the same message, except it's a 25 mph advisory plate, then a separate sign below that states "On Ramp".

This occurred during a construction project from Exits 28 - 32.  Of the multiple interchanges and ramps within this construction area, this was the only ramp to receive such sign treatment.

JoePCool14

Except which sign is new? (I'm guessing the left one!)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Brandon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 18, 2014, 07:11:15 PM

I think the one on the left is.  The one on the right is partially hidden in the brush.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2014, 06:46:04 PM
I think the one on the left is.  The one on the right is partially hidden in the brush.

Wow, can't imagine looking at that sign in the summer with foliage covering it.

Also, off-topic, but do you think winter is the worst season for roadgeeks? (Signs dirty, knocked by plows etc.)
or, are plants to annoying in the summer?

Personally, winter is much worse (at least near Chicago it is).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

agentsteel53

I love winter for photography and also for driving around without as much riffraff on the roads. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

I like winter.  Less traffic, and the snow on the ground but far enough from when it fell for the roads to be dry is a very nice effect.  Plus my snow tires make a nice hum that I've come to associate with roadtrips since I clinched the highways of St. Lawrence and Franklin counties under the excuse that the periodic winter trips would keep the car running properly.  My roadtrips used to be more winter oriented period since that was when I was in the north country consistently.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

From this thread, this redundancy, in terms of BGS replacement, along I-91 in MA has been around for at least two months.

The old BGS & gantry were still there as of 2 weeks ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2014, 06:46:04 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 18, 2014, 07:11:15 PM

The sign is in such good condition, why bother replacing it?

Milepost61

Fort Collins, CO, probably not there anymore:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Milepost61

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.