News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

74/171FAN

QuoteIt was still there when I was in Hopewell last weekend.
I live 5-10 minutes from that craziness but haven't gotten my own photo of that yet  :no:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

City

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on August 05, 2009, 01:30:31 AM
Virginia Beach uses some strange font on most of its speed limit signs (most notably on Shore Drive for the quick drop from 45 MPH to 25 MPH).

Hopewell...um, don't get me started with them.

Proof that this monstrosity really exists

It was still there when I was in Hopewell last weekend.

:ded:

Goth shield. Never knew that VDOT loved mutant goth state route shields.

WillWeaverRVA

That's not a VDOT sign. Hopewell is an independent city, and so it maintains its own signage.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

City

I see.

Even though VDOT didn't put it up, it still looks like something from a trash can.

BigMattFromTexas

I think the lower case "L's" are cool, the gothic "L's" are fine too, but i like Clearview's the best

mightyace

Quote from: BigMatt on August 06, 2009, 08:17:08 PM
I think the lower case "L's" are cool, the gothic "L's" are fine too, but i like Clearview's the best

I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :sombrero:

Personally, I think Clearview simply looks too thin and sparse.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

florida

Quote from: BigMatt on August 06, 2009, 08:17:08 PM

You're such a sheep  ;-)
So many roads...so little time.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: City on August 06, 2009, 07:23:46 PM
I see.

Even though VDOT didn't put it up, it still looks like something from a trash can.

Given the part of town it's in, that might not be far from the truth. :p
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bryant5493

That signage from Virginia's ugly.

Those Clearview numbers are heidious on those Interstate shields.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Michael

I don't like Clearview, and can't really say why.  I guess the best explanations I've seen here are it: Change from the norm and it's too "friendly".

Scott5114

Another possible argument against Clearview: While the font might be more readable to people who've never driven in America before, Americans have seen the old fonts for so long they can recognize the familiar letterforms more quickly than the Clearview ones. In fact, I did a few informal readability tests in high school that suggested this was the case.

Not entirely sure though, cause Clearview is, for all its faults, easier to read when set properly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

It may be easier to read, but did any of the past fonts have readability issues to begin with? Not that I know of.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadfro

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2009, 03:55:49 AM
It may be easier to read, but did any of the past fonts have readability issues to begin with? Not that I know of.

The FHWA fonts caused readability issues for some drivers (especially older drivers) on guide signs at night.  Glowing/halation on lower case looped/rounded letters was a big problem for these drivers, making such letters appear as blobs.

This is actually one of the principle reasons for the research and development of Clearview.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Oh, you apparently didn't get the memo about Texas Transportation Institute's new Cleardeer. The greatest thing is instead of blood their veins are filled with windshield washer fluid, so you're advised to actively try to run over them for a wonderful streak-free shine.

Michael

bugo

bugo

Quote from: florida on August 03, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
Clearview annoys the hell out of me like Comic Sans MS does.  :angry:

Touche.  I've been annoyed by Craptic Scams since I was a little kid.

florida

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2009, 04:32:42 PM
if you can't read signs, you're not seeing various other features that are not optimized for legibility, oh like pedestrians and deer and whatnot.  Maybe you should just stop driving.

Either that, or stop buying your reading glasses from Dollar General or Wal-Mart.
So many roads...so little time.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 08, 2009, 08:35:48 PM
Oh, you apparently didn't get the memo about Texas Transportation Institute's new Cleardeer. The greatest thing is instead of blood their veins are filled with windshield washer fluid, so you're advised to actively try to run over them for a wonderful streak-free shine.

yeah but have they phased out all the old deer yet?  I know TXDOT is usually pretty quick on infrastructure projects, but I don't want to run into one thinking I'll get a car wash and then have it turn out to be the old kind with the red inside.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

The new deer are three times as ugly and their tails curl, aiding your identification of them.

Michael

DanTheMan414

I personally prefer Clearview, in part because it is easier to see the signs in photos.  :sombrero:  In all honesty, I don't have a problem with it, as long as they don't use the font in shields.

Of note, by the way: Ohio is now officially starting to sign in Clearview.  A re-signing of I-77 around the I-277/US 224 interchange in Akron has been done sometime between March & last week in Clearview.

74/171FAN

Here's the crazy sign from Hopewell on VA 36 approaching VA 10 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Close your eyes! Its town signage! :|

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.