News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

That's Not My (State's) Route! (Signing Routes Across State Lines)

Started by Katavia, July 25, 2022, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

It's not a state route, but here's some UDOT-spec signage on I-80 for Alt US 93 in West Wendover - a route that does not even enter Utah.

Compare to the NDOT signage around the bend. It actually looks similar (the old Utah spec was more distinctive) but there are definitely some noticeable differences.

SD Mapman

Here in SD, we just make Iowa sign their own routes: IA 12
I know this is an Iowa-spec sign because it used to be in Clearview, and SDDOT has not ever and will never use that.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hbelkins

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 20, 2022, 10:41:03 AM
I know this is an Iowa-spec sign because it used to be in Clearview, and SDDOT has not ever and will never use that.

Not uncommon for sign replacement projects to cross state lines. Happened in Kentucky. The advance signage for the US 52 exit in West Virginia on I-64 was replaced by Kentucky under a late 1990s contract. It's since been replaced (with a Clearview sign) as part of a WV signage project that eliminated the button copy on the first 15 miles of I-64.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 20, 2022, 10:41:03 AM

Happens elsewhere too. Caltrans posts AZ 95 signs in Needles, but they're ADOT-manufactured. (This is in part because I-40 and some surface streets connect the two halves more or less unofficially.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.