News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Left Turn Signal vs Left On Green Arrow

Started by roadman65, October 24, 2022, 07:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Was wondering if there is a change in MUTCD about that.  I noticed both NJ and Illinois has been phasing out LEFT TURN SIGNAL for LEFT ON GREEN ARROW. 

I know in Florida we very rarely use those signs as the red arrow makes it obvious.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Probably has to do with laws and state statutes. New Jersey technically doesn't have a law against turning on a red arrow. So in order to compensate for that, the regulatory signage you mention details that a left turn can only be done on a green arrow.

fwydriver405

Maine and sometimes Massachusetts sometimes uses the Left On Green Arrow Only sign in cases where one side is protected/permissive and the other protected only. Other than that, it seems to depend on the location. There's at least one "Right on Green Arrow Only" sign in ME, located at the Exit 193 NB offramp onto Stillwater Ave.

New Hampshire used to post "No Turn on Red Arrow" signs at their protected only and some FYA locations, but they have stopped that practice all together on new signal installs or rehabs (At least on the NHDOT side).

andrepoiy

Ontario does not use red arrows and thus to differentiate the left turn or right turn signal, puts a regulatory sign beside it.

Henry

For one, I prefer the Left Turn Signal over Left on Green Arrow because it provides a better clue as to what signal is used for such purpose at the intersection. And for another, I've always taken the latter message to mean that once the signal becomes yellow, you can no longer turn and must wait for the next green phase.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MASTERNC

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 27, 2022, 10:28:34 AM
Ontario does not use red arrows and thus to differentiate the left turn or right turn signal, puts a regulatory sign beside it.

PennDOT still uses the Left Turn Signal sign, even with red arrows

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.