News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alphabetical sections

Started by Poiponen13, December 13, 2022, 08:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Which cities have alphabetical sections, i.e. streets named beginning with same letter, and different letters in different parts of area? At least Bramalea, Brossard, Red Deer and Bowie.

GaryV

Kalamazoo County and Calhoun County, their east/west county roads.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on December 13, 2022, 09:05:21 AM
Kalamazoo County and Calhoun County, their east/west county roads.
I meant clusters of streets beginning with same letter, such as
Asty St
Acker St
Avion St
Ames St
Affy St

KCRoadFan

Isn't Levittown, PA arranged like that?

Poiponen13

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 13, 2022, 09:41:08 AM
It is. Which other cities have these-like streets?

webny99

I believe we've done this, or at least variations of it, several times before. Here's a past thread on themed street names: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3886.250

The Twin Cities' southern suburbs have many alphabetical neighborhoods, starting with "A" south of I-494 and progressively working down through the alphabet as you head south, currently ending with "K" near I-35 in Lakeville.

Max Rockatansky

A lot of cities in general that has a planned grid.  This is particularly common with cities that developed from railroad sidings.  That said, Sacramento is the most prominent around me as it combines lettered and numbered streets.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 13, 2022, 10:36:29 AM
A lot of cities in general that has a planned grid.  This is particularly common with cities that developed from railroad sidings.  That said, Sacramento is the most prominent around me as it combines lettered and numbered streets.
This is not what I meant; I meant a suburb where streets begin with same letter of alphabet, and different letters in different suburbs. Like in Levittown, PA.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 13, 2022, 10:59:41 AM
This is not what I meant; I meant a suburb where streets begin with same letter of alphabet, and different letters in different suburbs. Like in Levittown, PA.

Greendale, WI is a post WWII planned community outside of Milwaukee that has most of its streets clumped into alphabetical sections.

Indiana_Charter

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 13, 2022, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 13, 2022, 10:59:41 AM

Greendale, WI is a post WWII planned community outside of Milwaukee that has most of its streets clumped into alphabetical sections.

Park Forest, IL south of Chicago is similar, with the added flavor that most of the names are Native American in origin. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Park+Forest,+IL/@41.4762701,-87.695548,14.11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x880e1a1131822789:0x8a5f37b748861a5a!8m2!3d41.4914217!4d-87.6744926?hl=en&authuser=0
"The traveler sees what he sees; the tourist sees what he has come to see." -- G. K. Chesterton

Poiponen13

And it should be "Levitttown".

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 13, 2022, 01:57:39 PM

No it shouldn't. English isn't going to have three consonants in a row.

GaryV

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 13, 2022, 02:41:20 PM

Those English/Welsh animosities continue to this day.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 13, 2022, 02:41:20 PM

You mean 3 of the same consonant.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pianocello

The N-S minor streets in the west side of Chicago are like this. It's best seen along and south of the Kennedy west of Cicero.

Palm Coast, FL's neighborhoods are clustered this way, to a much bigger extent than Chicago.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

formulanone

Poiponen13

Quote from: pianocello on December 13, 2022, 07:51:22 PM
The N-S minor streets in the west side of Chicago are like this. It's best seen along and south of the Kennedy west of Cicero.

Palm Coast, FL's neighborhoods are clustered this way, to a much bigger extent than Chicago.
They should also be in true alphabetical order.

dlsterner

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 13, 2022, 08:22:37 AM
Which cities have alphabetical sections, i.e. streets named beginning with same letter, and different letters in different parts of area? At least Bramalea, Brossard, Red Deer and Bowie.

Were you implying Bowie, Maryland in your original post, or some other city named Bowie?  If not, the aforementioned Bowie in Maryland qualifies, as each neighborhood has all of its streets (generally) starting with the same letter.

frankenroad

Two adjacent suburbs in Cincinnati, Forest Park and Greenhills, both have this. 

Greenhills was one of three WPA planned communities built in the 1930s; the other two being Greendale WI, and Greenbelt MD.  As someone mentioned above, Greendale also has this pattern.  Looking at Google maps, it does not appear that  Greenbelt follows suit.

2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Poiponen13

Quote from: dlsterner on December 14, 2022, 02:54:34 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 13, 2022, 08:22:37 AM

Were you implying Bowie, Maryland in your original post, or some other city named Bowie?  If not, the aforementioned Bowie in Maryland qualifies, as each neighborhood has all of its streets (generally) starting with the same letter.
Bowie, Maryland.

MultiMillionMiler

In Brooklyn, New York City, streets near coney island literally run from like Avenue C, to Avenue X, I haven't driven much in that area so I don't know if every letter is used.

pderocco

My favorite is California Valley:

https://goo.gl/maps/JkJycJ2Garso8CCy9

You really need to turn on aerial imagery to see how impressive it is.

Bickendan

Palmdale/Lancaster, California, and the area around them up to the LA/Kern County line.

Poiponen13

Any other examples with alphabetical sections?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.