News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PC run good

Started by JoePCool14, January 19, 2023, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Just wanted to say I bought a new PC last weekend from Costco and it's running fantastic. I can now browse the forums in greater speeds than before. Also, it's running Windows 11 and I actually think it's decent so far.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

I didn't even know Costco sold PCs. What are the specs and how much did you pay for it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Once, my old laptop stopped working randomly. My brother took it apart to find the problem, and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so he put it back together and it still didn't work. I bought a new one. A week later, I was moving the old one, dropped it, and it turned on and worked fine.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Has your PC enter a local Half Marathon since it got good at running?

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 19, 2023, 09:07:46 PM
I didn't even know Costco sold PCs. What are the specs and how much did you pay for it?

I didn't either! I found this at a Costco near Rockford.

Specs, from what I can remember:

• Built by MSI
  • Intel Core i7, 12th gen. processor
  • 32 GB of RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 2 TB HDD
  • Nvidia 3060 graphics card
  • RGB fans
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built-in
  • Windows 11
  • With a decent keyboard and nice mouse included
Price: $1500

I think it was a pretty darn good deal personally. It's so nice to be able to have a proper PC for doing video editing and no-compromises gaming.

I also picked up a new monitor also by MSI for an extra $200. And then a few days ago, went to Best Buy and bought a cheap pair of speakers for less than $20.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2023, 09:19:50 PM

It's been on a few sprints, and even a 5k playing Cities: Skylines with 360k+ citizens. The half marathon will come when I start going crazy with more mods.

WillWeaverRVA

Costco tends to have great deals on laptop and desktop PCs.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

davewiecking

CostCo has sold Dell's before.

Bruce

Costco has a decent selection of laptops (with a dedicated Apple table for the sheep), and a handful of desktops and monitors. Ranges from cheap Chromebooks and basic browsing laptops to ultralight and beefier gaming laptops. The 2-year extended warranty with concierge tech support goes on top of whatever the manufacturer provides and is handy to have. I bought my laptop (an LG Gram) from Costco because it was discounted for clearance and have been pretty happy with it since.

jeffandnicole

My current computer came from Sams Club.  Same with my printer and main TV and associated soundbar.  All run well.

bwana39

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 19, 2023, 09:28:09 PM

I didn't either! I found this at a Costco near Rockford.

Specs, from what I can remember:

• Built by MSI
  • Intel Core i7, 12th gen. processor
  • 32 GB of RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 2 TB HDD
  • Nvidia 3060 graphics card
  • RGB fans
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built-in
  • Windows 11
  • With a decent keyboard and nice mouse included
Price: $1500

I think it was a pretty darn good deal personally. It's so nice to be able to have a proper PC for doing video editing and no-compromises gaming.

I also picked up a new monitor also by MSI for an extra $200. And then a few days ago, went to Best Buy and bought a cheap pair of speakers for less than $20.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2023, 09:19:50 PM

It's been on a few sprints, and even a 5k playing Cities: Skylines with 360k+ citizens. The half marathon will come when I start going crazy with more mods.

I built mine for around $1.2k. It has an I-9 and a 4TB HDD. I only did 500K for the SSD, but ... Mine MB is MSI. All Intel Chipset. I have a really cheap keyboard and mouse. I use a 32" 1080P monitor.  It was cheap too. My case has 11 fans and (not really my bag) blue LEDs in the case.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

JoePCool14

Quote from: bwana39 on January 19, 2023, 11:17:05 PM
I built mine for around $1.2k. It has an I-9 and a 4TB HDD. I only did 500K for the SSD, but ... Mine MB is MSI. All Intel Chipset. I have a really cheap keyboard and mouse. I use a 32" 1080P monitor.  It was cheap too. My case has 11 fans and (not really my bag) blue LEDs in the case.

Considering I don't have much interest (or time, patience, etc.) in building a computer myself, I'm happier just getting this one pre-built. If I wanted one pre-built from somewhere else, I'd likely have spent $2000 on the computer alone, so I was more than fine with this kind of pricing. I have more fun messing with software and games than I do with hardware.
:thumbsup:

CtrlAltDel

The keyboard on my laptop doesn't work. When you press certain keys, some of the keys around it also get pressed. I had someone replace the keyboard with a brand new one, and the problem persists. It doesn't happen with my plug-in keyboard, though, which is nice.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

abefroman329

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2023, 07:40:27 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on January 19, 2023, 11:17:05 PM

Considering I don't have much interest (or time, patience, etc.) in building a computer myself, I'm happier just getting this one pre-built. If I wanted one pre-built from somewhere else, I'd likely have spent $2000 on the computer alone, so I was more than fine with this kind of pricing. I have more fun messing with software and games than I do with hardware.
:thumbsup:
It's so easy to build a desktop yourself, though.  I've done it 4 or 5 times in my lifetime.

JoePCool14

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 20, 2023, 10:13:23 AM
It's so easy to build a desktop yourself, though.  I've done it 4 or 5 times in my lifetime.

I don't doubt that. But no matter how easy it is, I honestly just don't really care to do it myself. Not now anyway.

I remember talking with a friend at college all the way back in 2019 about building a computer. I just never got around to it. After 4+ years of waiting, when I see a good deal on a pre-built machine that I could take home and set up that day, I'm gonna take it.

The other factor is that I have a good income right now, and practically no expenses. I'm mostly putting money away for later. So spending $1500 as opposed to $1200 on a special, one-off purchase isn't going to be a huge issue. If I was tighter on money, then I would want to save a few hundred dollars.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 20, 2023, 10:13:23 AM

It's also easy enough to change one's own oil, but for most of us, it's more convenient to pay someone who does it for a living.  The shop has all the tools (especially that lift for the whole vehicle), they get it done faster, they have an easy way to properly dispose of waste oil, they've got an endless supply of that lava soap to clean up afterward, and most every place will do a quick inspection of other things on the car while it's up on the rack.

Same with assembling one's own computer.  Fun for some computer nerds just like changing your own oil is fun for some car nerds.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

LilianaUwU

I got a newer laptop in the holidays myself. At the point I was at with my old one, I got pretty much what I could get instead of what I wanted to get.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 20, 2023, 08:41:27 AM
The keyboard on my laptop doesn't work. When you press certain keys, some of the keys around it also get pressed. I had someone replace the keyboard with a brand new one, and the problem persists. It doesn't happen with my plug-in keyboard, though, which is nice.

I've been having that exact same issue, first it was the tab key pressing itself continuously, then the A, S, Q, caps lock and number keys are all scrambled and not working properly. P, 0, comma, don't work at all. And my $1600 laptop is only 3 years and 1-2 months old. Is it normal for computers to start fucking up after only a few years no matter how good you take care of them?

JoePCool14

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 20, 2023, 02:43:05 PM

I've been having that exact same issue, first it was the tab key pressing itself continuously, then the A, S, Q, caps lock and number keys are all scrambled and not working properly. P, 0, comma, don't work at all. And my $1600 laptop is only 3 years and 1-2 months old. Is it normal for computers to start fucking up after only a few years no matter how good you take care of them?

No, I would say not. Unless the laptop you bought had a badly-designed keyboard. I remember when Apple switched the design of their MacBook keyboards over to the "butterfly" switch, users reported more dust getting in under the keys are causing problems. Maybe you have a similar issue.

I still have a Surface Pro 6, and I purchased this a few years ago and it's still working fine. As long as you don't try to play C:S on it.  :-D

abefroman329

If you also watch ST:TNG on your laptop, then I have a theory.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 20, 2023, 05:19:05 PM

If you also watch ST:TNG on your laptop, then I have a theory.

No I don't. My laptop doesn't even have a disc drive. Even on TV I don't watch that series as often.

hotdogPi

My butterfly keyboards only had keys not responding. There were no adjacent keys pressing.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

triplemultiplex

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 20, 2023, 05:21:35 PM
No I don't. My laptop doesn't even have a disc drive. Even on TV I don't watch that series as often.

Yeah disc drives are outdated.

(all of TNG is about 65 GB)

And yes, Enterprise is in there.  Just doesn't have the word "Star Trek" in the folder name. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 89

The only butterfly keyboard issue I've ever had on my 2019 Macbook Air is that periodically, one of the keys will get jammed down and won't pop back up, so typing anything with it is a challenge to impossible. Has only ever happened with the S and ' keys as well as the left half of the spacebar. Usually, mashing the key in will get it to pop back out.

I am considering getting a new laptop, but for a different reason: if I'm opening it for the first time in an hour or so, there is a maybe 1 in 5 chance it will shut down and restart. It takes absolutely forever for it to boot up.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2023, 05:23:56 PM
My butterfly keyboards only had keys not responding. There were no adjacent keys pressing.

Mine had keys continually pressing themselves, and adjacent keys pressing. I had to change all my GTA 5 key bindings to compensate.

epzik8

The keyboard on my old laptop broke when I spilled soda on it.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.