News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

That's actually quite tastefully done  :-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SimMoonXP

That funny, Voyager...because the 680 font seem too small for Caltrans FHWA font.. should be enlarge FHWA font for "680" to able the driver to see it even better as well.

Voyager

Never knew U.S. 20 migrated down to the Clear Lake area of California, I need to get out more!
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SimMoonXP on January 23, 2009, 10:13:21 PM
That funny, Voyager...because the 680 font seem too small for Caltrans FHWA font.. should be enlarge FHWA font for "680" to able the driver to see it even better as well.

That's why it's an erroneous road sign.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

exit322

I don't have pictures, but Ohio's been recently replacing a number of US signs (30 and 250 in particular, as that's where I'm at) with OH signs.  I know in Wilmot there's a US 250 intersection sign on 62 that's in an Ohio shield (it us US 30 and US 250), and the JCT 30/250 sign on OH 3 northbound near Wooster has both route in Ohio shields.

ctsignguy

If time and weather allows me next weekend, i'll have to go up and see if i can get a few snaps of the wrong-headed signs
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

agentsteel53

found my "interstate 52" photo.  It's in La Jolla and should be CA-52.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

You would think they could get it right, given that there's a correct sign just nearby. :rolleyes:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

This has been up since 2000 and its still in place as of late December 2008:

It should be the first U.S. 202 shield, but they got Delaware 141 mixed up on its classification!

deathtopumpkins

Now that's just pathetic. Do construction workers for Caltrans even pay attention to what they're doing at all?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

WillWeaverRVA

Don't tell anyone, but US 301's southern terminus is actually in Bowling Green, Virginia. ;)

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

US71

Someone should tell Arkansas that US 59 is in Oklahoma.

Voyager

Not only does California now have an Interstate 54, but also a business loop!
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Are everyone of Joel's photos going to get a post?

There are more Business Loop I-54 shields posted here: http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/bl-054_ca.html I know that they were still posted in 2005, and I'm sure that there are still some today.

agentsteel53

there were some around as late as March, 2008.  Have not checked since then.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Here is just a little goof: http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5296153253093202818

It says as though you are on I-287 and NY 17 along with I-87 and the NY State Thruway. Though NY 17 and I-287 only JUNCTION ahead. You aren't on I-287 and NY 17 right here, so this would be considered an error. Though about 1/2 mile ahead, there is an I-287/I-87 multiplex.

Also a bit of an error on the New Jersey Turnpike (hope I got the info right)
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewJerseyTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5296155482803826306

i.c.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on January 27, 2009, 09:02:34 PM
Also a bit of an error on the New Jersey Turnpike

Okay, so you're not there immediately, but that exit does take you to I-276 and US 130, so it's not incorrect.

And on the topic of "wrong shield", I know I've seen a couple of US 15 shields in Fairfield county, CT (should be CT 15). One on old route 7 ("secret route" 719) and another on route 110. Pretty sure the one on old route 7 isn't still there. As for the one on route 110... dunno, I haven't been there in a while. Now if only I'd had a camera back when I was in high school and noticing these things...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't think this really counts because Wisconsin made an "attempt" to show it's a MN shield, but on the US 8 crossing westbound into MN on the St. Croix River, the "JCT MN 95 shield" is a WI 95 shield with "MINN" inside it. Don't know if it's still there anymore, just thought it would be interesting to note.

Since WI and US shields look annoyingly similar, there are several places where a WI shield is used where a US shield should. Coming westbound on I-90 into MN from WI, I remember the BGSs having "WI 61" shields. I think the US 14 shield was right though.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Revive 755

Quote from: aaroads on January 24, 2009, 11:22:39 PM
This has been up since 2000 and its still in place as of late December 2008:

It should be the first U.S. 202 shield, but they got Delaware 141 mixed up on its classification!

Shouldn't the "bridges ice before highway" be a yellow diamond sign as well instead of a white rectangle?

US71

Here's a county road sign that got it wrong in Oklahoma

WillWeaverRVA

In Ashland, Virginia, for some reason there are I-95 trailblazers that lead traffic down Hill Carter Parkway, which is right before I-95 on VA 54. However, the trailblazers on Hill Carter Parkway actually lead traffic right into the parking lot of a Wal-Mart. I've already emailed the mayor about this, because I know her personally and she has a grudge against Wal-Mart. ;)

Interestingly, if you go the OTHER way on Hill Carter Parkway, there are tons of I-95 trailblazers telling you to turn around. You know, in case you missed the big overheads right past the intersection. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

okroads

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 28, 2009, 06:06:00 PM
I don't think this really counts because Wisconsin made an "attempt" to show it's a MN shield, but on the US 8 crossing westbound into MN on the St. Croix River, the "JCT MN 95 shield" is a WI 95 shield with "MINN" inside it. Don't know if it's still there anymore, just thought it would be interesting to note.

Since WI and US shields look annoyingly similar, there are several places where a WI shield is used where a US shield should. Coming westbound on I-90 into MN from WI, I remember the BGSs having "WI 61" shields. I think the US 14 shield was right though.
Correct...here is my pic of this sign from July 2005:

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on January 28, 2009, 08:12:07 PM
In Ashland, Virginia, for some reason there are I-95 trailblazers that lead traffic down Hill Carter Parkway, which is right before I-95 on VA 54. However, the trailblazers on Hill Carter Parkway actually lead traffic right into the parking lot of a Wal-Mart. I've already emailed the mayor about this, because I know her personally and she has a grudge against Wal-Mart. ;)

Interestingly, if you go the OTHER way on Hill Carter Parkway, there are tons of I-95 trailblazers telling you to turn around. You know, in case you missed the big overheads right past the intersection. :P

Lol... that's a good one!  :-D I'll have to look for it next time I'm up that way.

Alex

Street signs along Pennsylvania 10 in Chester County often displayed it as "US 10" when I took the road several times in the 1990s. I'm unsure if they are still there, but I always thought they were an ode to the route's previous existence as U.S. 122.

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 28, 2009, 06:06:00 PM

Actually the St Croix River Crossing had it right both ways. (last time I saw it that is)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.