News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 12:26:34 PM
The trend of removing capital letters from corporate logos/names.

that doesn't bother me so much (says guy who despises capital letters in general) but the abbreviating of everything does.

village inn =vi
kentucky fried chicken=kfc

etc.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 29, 2021, 04:48:42 AM

that doesn't bother me so much (says guy who despises capital letters in general) but the abbreviating of everything does.

village inn =vi

etc.

Everything being lowercase annoys me.  It looks like a bunch of kids that were tired of their teachers telling them to use correct capitalization and punctuation got lose and started naming restaurants.  Throw in a company named after a verb, or a recent trendy word (or non-word) and you there you go.  I just liked it better when companies were named after the last name of the founder. 

hbelkins

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 11:35:31 PM
What bothers me is my new crown feels funny.

You'll get used to it. My bite has changed slightly every time I've gotten a crown, but the adjustment period is fairly quick.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

village inn =vi

etc.

And combining partial words to spawn a new brand name, with multiple capital letters.

InterContiTransAmeriCo.  We've changed our name to serve you better!

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 05:13:21 PM
The popularity of lower-case letters can be explained thusly:

WHICH OF THESE SENTENCES APPEARS MORE AGGRESSIVE
which of these sentences appears more aggressive

But that's not always what happens.

Which of these corporate names appears more aggressive:
  Macy's
  macy's
Neither one appears aggressive!

I mean, why not do this for state welcome signs:
  welcome to north carolina!  :-)

village inn =vi

etc.

But Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because fried chicken isn't very healthy.  They kept selling fried chicken, of course.  They just didn't, you know, put it on their sign.  (This was admitted by the president of US operations.)  I still remember the brief transition period, when they tried calling themselves Kitchen Fresh Chicken instead, as if they could do that and just make us forget what the letters really stand for.

Since 1991, KFC has been the official name of the company, so anyone calling it that is only being accurate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 11:39:13 AM

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 05:13:21 PM
The popularity of lower-case letters can be explained thusly:

WHICH OF THESE SENTENCES APPEARS MORE AGGRESSIVE
which of these sentences appears more aggressive

But that's not always what happens.

Which of these corporate names appears more aggressive:
  Macy's
  macy's
Neither one appears aggressive!

I mean, why not do this for state welcome signs:
  welcome to north carolina!  :-)

village inn =vi

etc.

But Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because fried chicken isn't very healthy.  They kept selling fried chicken, of course.  They just didn't, you know, put it on their sign.  (This was admitted by the president of US operations.)  I still remember the brief transition period, when they tried calling themselves Kitchen Fresh Chicken instead, as if they could do that and just make us forget what the letters really stand for.

Since 1991, KFC has been the official name of the company, so anyone calling it that is only being accurate.

What bugs me about it is no one cared about a sentence in all caps vrs. written in mixed case until email and text messaging became the norm.  This tells me the phenomenon is relatively new.  I feel there is a "rewrite history" trajectory going on to make brand names all lowercase to make them more calming.  That in combination with people and their lackluster capitalization just because they can.  Again with the millennials.   :-D

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 11:39:13 AM

Congratulations, you've just made me want to get KFC for lunch!  :-P

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

village inn =vi

If I go in there and write q! on the ticket they'll let me leave without paying the check, right?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2021, 08:42:39 PM
village inn =vi

If I go in there and write q! on the ticket they'll let me leave without paying the check, right?

No, you'll still be there; missing a colon :-)

:q!

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2021, 08:42:39 PM
village inn =vi

nerd  :-D

but well-played.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

I'm sick of this grep.

Chris

kphoger

This nonsense.

Warning:  Pine nuts contain pine nuts.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Of course, this is probably due to a regulation that says "Things that contain pine nuts must say 'Warning: Contains Pine Nut'" without an explicit exemption for cases where you're selling just pine nuts or things that are already marketed to contain pine nut (I would imagine, say, a pine nut variety of trail mix might also carry that unnecessary warning).

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 05, 2021, 01:41:29 PM
(I would imagine, say, a pine nut variety of trail mix might also carry that unnecessary warning)

And I'm fine with that part.  The whole point of the warning is, I assume, so people aren't expected to read the whole ingredients list in order to determine if a product will make them sick or not, and that's not a bad idea.

But it's an ingredient!  It doesn't contain pine nuts.  It is pine nuts.  Seriously, people.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

hbelkins

Some people have to be told that peanut butter contains peanuts, so there you go.

Lawyers ruin everything (apologies to Oscar, 1995hoo, and other attorneys who are members here.)

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
Some people have to be told that peanut butter contains peanuts, so there you go.

Lawyers ruin everything (apologies to Oscar, 1995hoo, and other attorneys who are members here.)

I get the impression that lawyers tend to enjoy lawyer jokes.

Anyway...

Male pronouns, please.

tchafe1978

People mixing up the usuage of similar words, or different tenses of the same words. Examples:

Advise and advice: I would advise you to take his advice.

Worst and worse: Even the worst could be worse.

Lose, loose, loser, and looser: If you lose weight, your loose pants will become looser and you'll become a weight loser.

And of course, the ubiquitous your and you're; and there, they're, and their.

It drives me nuts that people can't seem to remember 3rd grade English.

kphoger

The one that trips people up in church is prophecy/prophesy.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

In the past few years I've been seeing reticent being used with the meaning of reluctant even in sources (such as the Guardian and the latest Dana Stabenow novel) that one would expect to have passed through the hands of paid copyeditors.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

With that, I can at least imagine a person thinking peanut butter is only artificially peanut-flavored.

But someone buying a package of peanuts, on the other hand...

Well, that's just nuts.

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Heh, never underestimate the ability of some attorneys to engage in utterly pedantic stupidity. I recently saw something where an attorney felt the need to use the "defined term" "U.S." in parentheses after referring to the United States: United States ("U.S.").....like a reader wouldn't know what "U.S." means without that utterly unnecessary definition.

I saw something else where a party's name was a single word, yet the name was "defined" in that manner anyway–like if it said, Forum member hbelkins ("hbelkins") argues [whatever]. The "defined term" was 100% identical to the term that appeared outside the parentheses. I think some people just think there's some requirement that they "define the parties" (there isn't).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 05, 2021, 03:16:25 PM
In the past few years I've been seeing reticent being used with the meaning of reluctant even in sources (such as the Guardian and the latest Dana Stabenow novel) that one would expect to have passed through the hands of paid copyeditors.

Probably because the term -- and I have seen it used interchangeably with reluctant for years -- can be used as a substitute to the phrase "reluctant to -------"

One example sentence is "she was extremely reticent about her personal affairs." Change "reticent" to "reluctant to reveal" and you can see why the confusion.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 05, 2021, 04:29:19 PM

Heh, never underestimate the ability of some attorneys to engage in utterly pedantic stupidity. I recently saw something where an attorney felt the need to use the "defined term" "U.S." in parentheses after referring to the United States: United States ("U.S.").....like a reader wouldn't know what "U.S." means without that utterly unnecessary definition.

I saw something else where a party's name was a single word, yet the name was "defined" in that manner anyway–like if it said, Forum member hbelkins ("hbelkins") argues [whatever]. The "defined term" was 100% identical to the term that appeared outside the parentheses. I think some people just think there's some requirement that they "define the parties" (there isn't).

A similar annoyance is the practice in a lot of legalese of writing the words out then putting it in numbers in parentheses. That means the same thing is there two (2) different ways and it's irritating, because it looks like they were writing it for someone who is four (4) years old and struggles with numbers. I'm guessing this has something to do with keeping numbers from easily being altered on paper contracts, but it's two thousand and twenty-one (2021); the practice is archaic and should be dropped.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 05, 2021, 05:52:02 PM
A similar annoyance is the practice in a lot of legalese of writing the words out then putting it in numbers in parentheses. That means the same thing is there two (2) different ways and it's irritating, because it looks like they were writing it for someone who is four (4) years old and struggles with numbers. I'm guessing this has something to do with keeping numbers from easily being altered on paper contracts, but it's two thousand and twenty-one (2021); the practice is archaic and should be dropped.

At my job, the only time I do it is this:

0 (zero)

And that's just because I want anyone reading it to understand it isn't the letter O.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.