News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2021, 10:17:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 12:44:21 PM
I find it interesting that not a single person has slammed HB for never having had a flu shot.

Well, there is not a currently ongoing influenza pandemic that we're desperately trying to bring to an end, so there's no acute need to get as many people vaccinated against influenza as we can as quickly as we can.

FWIW, last September was the first time in my life I ever got a flu shot. Previously, I had never bothered since I am not in a high risk group, flu shots aren't that effective anyway, and since they are sometimes in short supply I felt it was best to save them for people who needed them more than I do.

Last year, however, a need emerged to keep influenza extra tamped down so we don't have to deal with it on top of covid. Thus, getting a flu shot suddenly felt like civic duty, and so I did. I plan on getting a flu shot again this year for the same reason.

As for slamming people in general, I echo the sentiment that it isn't productive. As much as I disagree with anyone deciding not to get vaccinated, bullying them about it isn't going to change their mind, so I won't engage in such.
We shouldn't bully people, but making the best effort to educate them about it so that they are more likely to get it is important.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Regarding Real ID, note that requirement doesn't mean you have to get a compliant driver's license, media hype notwithstanding. I just renewed my license online and I'm not getting the Real ID version. I have three other IDs that are compliant, so why bother spending all that time at the DMV? I might reconsider in 2029, the next time I have to renew my license, because I'll have to go in person that time and that changes the calculation as to whether it's worth the time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 22, 2021, 10:25:46 PM
Regarding Real ID, note that requirement doesn't mean you have to get a compliant driver's license, media hype notwithstanding.

Indeed, your passport (if you have one) is also a RealID compliant document.

That said, there are cases where you may have to get RealID for other reasons. For example, if you have an existing non-RealID compliant Connecticut drivers' license, you can renew it as such in perpetuity, upgrading to RealID is optional... however, if you are getting a new Connecticut drivers' license, either because you are becoming a newly licensed driver or because you are moving from out of state, you must provide all the necessary documentation to be issued a RealID compliant license. The state will not issue you a non-compliant one.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2021, 09:10:45 PM
Should I also get a Real ID? Do I need to get a Real ID?
Should I quit using my Valentine One? Do I need to quit using it?

I don't really care, but to the larger point, none of those things are nearly as consequential as the Covid vaccination.

My own brother thinks I'm making a mistake in not getting the shot. And he is typically less inclined to buy into hype and pressure than I am. I figured he would be an even more staunch resister.

Wouldn't that make you re-evaluate, then?

I have my reasons for choosing not to take the shot. They're quite valid reasons. I know a number of other people who have made the same decision for their own reasons.

I've been thinking about writing a long-form opinion piece on why I choose not to take the shot. If I do, I'll post the link here.

The bolded statements got a bit of a snort from me, as they would in almost any context. Saying that doesn't mean much of anything to anyone unless we know what the reasons are.

If you do write a long-form opinion piece, make sure it sufficiently addresses the following question (posed upthread by JN Winkler): What benefits accrue for vaccine refusal to the refuser's self, family, and community?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2021, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2021, 10:17:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 12:44:21 PM
I find it interesting that not a single person has slammed HB for never having had a flu shot.

Well, there is not a currently ongoing influenza pandemic that we're desperately trying to bring to an end, so there's no acute need to get as many people vaccinated against influenza as we can as quickly as we can.

FWIW, last September was the first time in my life I ever got a flu shot. Previously, I had never bothered since I am not in a high risk group, flu shots aren't that effective anyway, and since they are sometimes in short supply I felt it was best to save them for people who needed them more than I do.

Last year, however, a need emerged to keep influenza extra tamped down so we don't have to deal with it on top of covid. Thus, getting a flu shot suddenly felt like civic duty, and so I did. I plan on getting a flu shot again this year for the same reason.

As for slamming people in general, I echo the sentiment that it isn't productive. As much as I disagree with anyone deciding not to get vaccinated, bullying them about it isn't going to change their mind, so I won't engage in such.
We shouldn't bully people, but making the best effort to educate them about it so that they are more likely to get it is important.

Personally I don't think it is anyone's business to try to passive aggressively attempt to "educate" others one way or the other regarding health matters of any kind either.  But then again, this whole thread also has people throwing out their opinions on vaccinations which kind of opens the door for that kind of that thing. 

Scott5114

Regarding Real ID, note that requirement doesn't mean you have to get a compliant driver's license, media hype notwithstanding. I just renewed my license online and I'm not getting the Real ID version. I have three other IDs that are compliant, so why bother spending all that time at the DMV? I might reconsider in 2029, the next time I have to renew my license, because I'll have to go in person that time and that changes the calculation as to whether it's worth the time.

Given that...
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 06:50:40 PM
Real ID has the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety all jacked up. Even though in Oklahoma, you go to a private tag agent rather than standing in line at the state offices, they all still have to interface with the DPS computer system, and that system is slow as hell, to the point that doing a driver license renewal takes 30 minutes (just to complete and submit the paperwork, you get your physical card in the mail). The first tag agent I went to said they open up at 6am sharp, first come first served, get there at 6 and hope you manage to get a slot sometime that day to do your license. The second tag agent I went to had a sign up that just said "WE AREN'T DOING ANY MORE DRIVER LICENSE RENEWALS TODAY." I called the tag agent down in Goldsby [on February 26], figuring there would be less demand, but they had an appointment system set up and were booked all the way through March.

...it may be faster for me to actually get a US Passport if there was a need for me to have one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2021, 08:30:16 PM
I think the state of Kentucky should make HB choose between getting the vaccine or staying a week in Louisville. :-D

I've done three nights there before. Three more would be a piece of cake.

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 08:20:27 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2021, 04:38:48 PM
So, we're all agreed that HB needs to get vaccinated, right?

I think it's important to distinguish between "needs to" and "should".

Ultimately, yes, I think he should, but I think he should come to that himself, not be told so by strangers on a roads forum.

Should I also get a Real ID? Do I need to get a Real ID?

Should I quit using my Valentine One? Do I need to quit using it?

Should I get my oil changed every 3-5,000 miles instead of letting the vehicle's internal system tell me when the oil needs changed? Do I need to get my oil changed every 3-5,000 miles instead of letting the vehicle's internal system tell me when the oil needs changed?

My own brother thinks I'm making a mistake in not getting the shot. And he is typically less inclined to buy into hype and pressure than I am. I figured he would be an even more staunch resister.

I have my reasons for choosing not to take the shot. They're quite valid reasons. I know a number of other people who have made the same decision for their own reasons.

I've been thinking about writing a long-form opinion piece on why I choose not to take the shot. If I do, I'll post the link here.
In the time you would take to write the article, you can get the shot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

And he is typically less inclined to buy into hype and pressure than I am.

So this is all just hype and pressure?

Scott5114

My former employer has made getting the annual bonus contingent on getting a shot. No shot before September 30 = no extra check in November.

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on April 22, 2021, 10:54:58 PM
Regarding Real ID, note that requirement doesn't mean you have to get a compliant driver's license, media hype notwithstanding.

Indeed, your passport (if you have one) is also a RealID compliant document.

That said, there are cases where you may have to get RealID for other reasons. For example, if you have an existing non-RealID compliant Connecticut drivers' license, you can renew it as such in perpetuity, upgrading to RealID is optional... however, if you are getting a new Connecticut drivers' license, either because you are becoming a newly licensed driver or because you are moving from out of state, you must provide all the necessary documentation to be issued a RealID compliant license. The state will not issue you a non-compliant one.

This is a fair comment and I probably should have ended the paragraph you quoted with "assuming your state gives you the option." Maryland, for example, doesn't give anyone a choice–it's Real ID or nothing if you want or need a driver's license. Virginia gives everyone the option. I have a passport card that is the same size as my driver's license, so that alone is a reason not to bother with the process.

bandit957

Real ID. Now there's something that needs to go.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

1995hoo

For those in New York City, the city just announced that all city-run vaccine sites will now allow walk-ins age 16 and older, effective immediately.

JayhawkCO

According to the IHME model, India is gaining 3.8 million cases per day right now.  That's insane.

Chris

formulanone

Quote from: bandit957 on April 23, 2021, 08:25:12 AM

I tend to agree; not everyone has multiple types paperwork to "prove their existence". Literally, if you don't have a utility bill in your name and current address, or some other "important bill", or like three other types of identification, you're out of luck. I can see the need for it for individuals with name changes and the like, say...too many conflicting bits of information. But the process seems to be a tad unfair for those of lesser economic means.

The airlines have been pushing the requirement, literally since 2013 for 2016...and they're not going to allow you to fly without a passport or RealID until they count to 2021 (and right now, they're on "2020 and three-quarters" and seriously thinking of sending you straight to your room without dinner). 

J N Winkler

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2021, 11:57:05 AMI tend to agree; not everyone has multiple types paperwork to "prove their existence". Literally, if you don't have a utility bill in your name and current address, or some other "important bill", or like three other types of identification, you're out of luck. I can see the need for it for individuals with name changes and the like, say...too many conflicting bits of information. But the process seems to be a tad unfair for those of lesser economic means.

I've never liked the equity implications of Real ID, but it does have its origins in the (bipartisan) 9/11 Commission report (the goal was to prevent people not legally present in the country, like the hijackers, gaining access to the air transport system), and the battle against it was lost during Bush's second term.  Ever since, DHS has basically papered over the issues both of principle and of implementation by extending deadlines and waiting out recalcitrant states, under presidents of both major parties.

Although driver's licenses that are not Real ID-compliant are still available in Kansas, I opted to get one at the last renewal just to have it out of the way and to retain the ability to travel domestically without exposing my passport to loss (I typically don't carry it unless I am travelling to a state that has a land border with Canada or Mexico).  I carefully double-checked the documentation requirements as listed by Kansas DOR (their materials at the time were both unclear and not internally consistent), and tried to go with at least one additional piece of paper to cover each specific requirement.  At the Division of Vehicles office, they had someone checking papers at check-in to ensure you couldn't get in front of an agent unless you actually had what you needed, and that person was really unhappy because I showed up with a US passport instead of a birth certificate (citizenship proof) and a 1099 with untitivated SSN instead of Social Security card (proof of SSN; my Social Security card had gone missing).

I know from my own experiences with genealogical research that key documents often go missing even if you know you would have had to obtain them at some point and are sure you would never knowingly have thrown them out.  For example, we have death certificates for my mother (2016) and both grandmothers (1997, 2011), but I have yet to find one for my maternal grandfather (1988; one would presumably have had to be obtained to probate his will) and my paternal grandfather's mother (1982; I'm not sure my grandmother obtained one since I think she did a distribution of assets several years before she went into a nursing home).  I have seen my paternal grandparents' marriage license (1935), but it has also gone missing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2021, 11:15:52 PM
Personally I don't think it is anyone's business to try to passive aggressively attempt to "educate" others one way or the other regarding health matters of any kind either.

Thanks.  Yeah, calling someone stupid is bullying him, so we'll just imply he's stupid by saying he needs to be educated.  That'll work.

Quote from: jakeroot on April 23, 2021, 02:12:40 AM

And he is typically less inclined to buy into hype and pressure than I am.

So this is all just hype and pressure?

The direness of the pandemic does not mean there's no hype or pressure.  They're not mutually exclusive.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 02:54:56 AM
My former employer has made getting the annual bonus contingent on getting a shot. No shot before September 30 = no extra check in November.

I have a big problem with this.  The only reason your employer can even know that you've had the vaccine is because there's an official pandemic, which suspends certain aspects of HIPAA policies.  The step from knowing something in order to ensure the health of the other employees to using that information in determination of who gets paid how much–that's a step far too big to be comfortable with.  Your employer should not be allowed to use your personal medical information in order to decide how much you get paid.

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2021, 11:57:05 AM
I tend to agree; not everyone has multiple types paperwork to "prove their existence". Literally, if you don't have a utility bill in your name and current address, or some other "important bill", or like three other types of identification, you're out of luck.

Proving your address is a tricky requirement for other things, too.  I used to share an apartment with two other guys, for example, and the apartment manager paid the utility bills.  Before that, I had rented a bedroom in a guy's house for cash, with no lease or anything.  Heck, if you're married, what do you do if all the bills are in your spouse's name?  I guess keeping a copy of your lease handy is getting more and more important.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 23, 2021, 01:12:35 PM

Although driver's licenses that are not Real ID-compliant are still available in Kansas, I opted to get one at the last renewal just to have it out of the way and to retain the ability to travel domestically without exposing my passport to loss ....

That issue is why I opted to get the passport card, in addition to the book, the last time I renewed, and I'll do the same again next time. Yes, it means an extra fee, but the fee is only $30 and it's valid for 10 years, so I viewed it as $3 a year. If I give up one beer per year, I've paid for the card. I keep it in an inner pocket in my wallet. Aside from resolving the Real ID issue, another benefit in my mind is that it eliminates the concern of having to bring the passport book on a trip to a border state. (A totally unrelated benefit is the ability to use it as voter ID in order to annoy the overly-officious old ladies who volunteer at the polls and who act like anything other than a driver's license is an imposition on them.)

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2021, 02:01:03 PM
(A totally unrelated benefit is the ability to use it as voter ID in order to annoy the overly-officious old ladies who volunteer at the polls and who act like anything other than a driver's license is an imposition on them.)

Isn't a passport book even better in that regard?  (Actually, I think that's what I used as ID when I voted last year.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2021, 04:38:48 PM
So, we're all agreed that HB needs to get vaccinated, right?

Are we all agreed that HB shouldn't make medical decisions based on an internet forum?
Male pronouns, please.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 22, 2021, 09:40:34 PM
My school had a vaccination clinic that allowed hundreds of students at my high school to receive their first dose of Pfizer, myself included.

That strikes me as oddly progressive for Missouri.

Quote from: bandit957 on April 23, 2021, 08:25:12 AM

...why?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Unnecessary security theater. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2021, 03:32:21 PM
^^^

I think Real ID is more important than me taking my shoes off, me taking my toothpaste out of my luggage, or some random weirdo needing to see my junk in order to let me fly.  No one seems (in general) as concerned with those.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 03:43:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2021, 03:32:21 PM
^^^

I think Real ID is more important than me taking my shoes off, me taking my toothpaste out of my luggage, or some random weirdo needing to see my junk in order to let me fly.  No one seems (in general) as concerned with those.

Chris

Let me rephrase, they are all security theater items.  The frequency by which TSA screeners fail when they are evaluated is evidence enough that they couldn't stop someone who is committed causing harm abroad an airplane. 

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2021, 10:40:14 AM
For those in New York City, the city just announced that all city-run vaccine sites will now allow walk-ins age 16 and older, effective immediately.
All we need to do is get HB to NYC, now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 02:54:56 AM

I have a big problem with this.  The only reason your employer can even know that you've had the vaccine is because there's an official pandemic, which suspends certain aspects of HIPAA policies.  The step from knowing something in order to ensure the health of the other employees to using that information in determination of who gets paid how much–that's a step far too big to be comfortable with.  Your employer should not be allowed to use your personal medical information in order to decide how much you get paid.

Their response to you would, no doubt, be "We're a sovereign nation," which is their response to everything when someone says they legally can't or shouldn't do something (i.e. "Oh yeah? Take us to court, then, and see what happens after we get it remanded to our tribal court system").

That bonus check (called the "Individual Development Plan" or IDP) has always already required you to undergo a biometric screening (blood is drawn and analyzed for cholesterol levels, waistline measured, heart rate measured after undergoing 5 min of cardio). This was done for free by the tribal health system, though you could opt to have your general practitioner do it for you. I don't think the exact numbers were shared with the employer, but it had to be done to get the check (I am guessing doing so garnered the tribe a discount on the group health insurance plan). Additionally, you had to sit through a bunch of training classes that were of questionable relevance to the actual job duties in a casino (fortunately it gradually went mostly online, such that one could have them going in the background while working, effectively allowing you to double dip). So it wasn't really much of a bonus at all, since you had to do extra work to get it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.