News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2021, 03:32:16 PM
Bella Vista is definitely not the Breezewood of Arkansas. At least the Bella Vista Bypass will be completed. The Breezewood gap will never be "completed".

Thank goodness! I never knew about the Breezewood Gap until I looked it up now.  What a total foobar.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on June 03, 2021, 02:33:10 PM
Per iDriveArkansas traffic cams, the crews are laying down some asphalt on US-71 where the SB traffic on 71 will enter ramp onto I-49.  it's slowly taking shape!

I may be up there this weekend so I'll have to look.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

they also added more asphalt for the I-49NB exit ramp onto US71. 

US71

Except for the 49.71 junction, the road is ready to go in Arkansas. Missouri, no so much. The road is still unpaved, plus the flyover from NB 49 to NB 71 at Pineville is still under construction.

ARDOT has upgraded to larger signage on 549/49 and many of the 549 signs have been replaced with I-49 shields.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

sprjus4

Quote from: yakra on June 06, 2021, 03:17:40 PM
Stupid question but, is I-49 gonna be TOTSO?
No, I-49 will be the straight movement, US-71 will be a left exit. It will be adequately signed so that I-49 is not an "exit"  itself just because it's to the right.

yakra

*shrug* Fair enough.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 06, 2021, 03:31:46 PM
No, I-49 will be the straight movement, US-71 will be a left exit. It will be adequately signed so that I-49 is not an "exit"  itself just because it's to the right.

71 at 49 (Bentonville) will be a Diverging Diamond along "old" 71. 49 traffic will be straight through.

bwana39

Per the rules that the straight through or major element through ALWAYS uses the leftmost lane(s), yes it would be TOTSO.
I manage to mess up I-20 EB at I-635 in southeast Dallas because you execute to the left to take a right turn.  For some years, I-20 turned off of LBJ Freeway(**)  to the right. At some point, they completely rebuilt the intersection to eliminate the I-20 exit and create an exit to the right for I-635.  Now, it is counterintuitive to me and I wind up going on to US-80 freeway to make the turn to the east.  That said, we no longer turn off to stay on....

** Originally LBJ Freeway was signed as IH-635 from I-35 to I-35. To the north, I-635 (LBJ) has since extended to SH-121 north of DFW Airport. I-20 was rerouted around the south of Dallas along LBJ and I-635 was truncated at I-20.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

US71

US 71/I-49 split at Pineville.

I'll have more on the I-49 Fakebook page in a day or two.

sprjus4

Quote from: bwana39 on June 06, 2021, 10:20:11 PM
Per the rules that the straight through or major element through ALWAYS uses the leftmost lane(s), yes it would be TOTSO.
I wouldn't consider merely a left exit as being a TOTSO for the mainline. The mainline isn't exiting.

I-49 at I-44 is a TOTSO.

yakra

It is and is not. 🐐

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US71 on June 06, 2021, 10:29:31 PM
US 71/I-49 split at Pineville.

I'll have more on the I-49 Fakebook page in a day or two.

So how long before Fritz Owl and the gang proposes a I-249 around NWA?

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 08:15:15 AM

That has been brought up in passing by the regional development commission.  No current plans, but it has been discussed in passing for the future.

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 06, 2021, 10:54:18 PM
I wouldn't consider merely a left exit as being a TOTSO for the mainline. The mainline isn't exiting.

I-49 at I-44 is a TOTSO.

I agree that The I-49 at I-44 is TOTSO. I also would say that  the TOTSO (I-49) flows better than  the (corrected) I-20 @I-635 in Dallas. It is a natural right curve. There is freeway continuing in the straight direction.  I far prefer the way it is handled in Joplin to the (corrected) version in Dallas.

As to left exits. Where the left exit leads to a local or even lesser arterial, I indeed hate them.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

roadman65

Better question. Is US 71 going to stay on its arterial alignment? Or will it follow I-49 into AR with a state route number be given present US 71?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US71 on June 07, 2021, 11:25:50 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 08:15:15 AM

That has been brought up in passing by the regional development commission.  No current plans, but it has been discussed in passing for the future.

Looks like in the picture that US 71 is sufficient and I-49 is superfluous.

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2021, 11:51:42 AM

Better question. Is US 71 going to stay on its arterial alignment? Or will it follow I-49 into AR with a state route number be given present US 71?

71 will not change (at least for now). 49 will run solo to Bentonville where it will join 71 to Fayettevile before splitting off.

-- US 175 --

I manage to mess up I-20 EB at I-635 in southeast Dallas because you execute to the left to take a right turn.  For some years, I-20 turned off of LBJ Freeway(**)  to the right. At some point, they completely rebuilt the intersection to eliminate the I-20 exit and create an exit to the right for I-635.  Now, it is counterintuitive to me and I wind up going on to US-80 freeway to make the turn to the east.  That said, we no longer turn off to stay on....

** Originally LBJ Freeway was signed as IH-635 from I-35 to I-35. To the north, I-635 (LBJ) has since extended to SH-121 north of DFW Airport. I-20 was rerouted around the south of Dallas along LBJ and I-635 was truncated at I-20.

bwana, I put your I-20/I-635 comment in the DFW Projects thread with a potential answer.

The Ghostbuster

If US 71 is eventually rerouted along the Bella Vista Bypass with Interstate 49, maybe existing 71 through Bella Vista and into Missouri could become Business Route 49.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 08, 2021, 12:26:40 PM
If US 71 is eventually rerouted along the Bella Vista Bypass with Interstate 49, maybe existing 71 through Bella Vista and into Missouri could become Business Route 49.

Maybe, Arkansas had Business I-30 at one time, but it was decommissioned. I think 71 is safe for now due to all businesses along it

MikieTimT

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 08, 2021, 12:26:40 PM

Been working in Bella Vista a few times the last week and used AR-549 a few times.  The CAP construction job sign in the middle section north of the US-71 interchange construction project has a completion date of July 2021, and the project lacks only striping the northbound carriageway, putting the diagonally striped bridge edge warning signs on the northbound carriageway, the cable barrier for most of the way, and the mileage markers on both carriageways.  I took the time to drive all the way up to the Gordon Hollow interchange, the last in AR where it's currently forcing the exit northbound.  The BGS's and I-49 shields are already up, even on the intersecting roads.  I-49 is all that's signed on any of it, in fact I didn't even see AR-549 shields anymore yesterday and the day before when I travelled it.  The only work that needs to be done on the southbound lanes is removing the northbound facing signage and restriping for 4 lane operation, and closing off the ramps that cross the median at each exit.

So, I don't believe that US-71 is intended to be routed on the BVB given what I saw this week.  Arkansas' portion according to the CAP construction job sign on the south end of the BVB currently states a completion of Oct. 2021.  Now we just wait and see how Missouri progresses.

Avalanchez71

This project will save what 5 minutes of travel time?

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 15, 2021, 04:15:04 PM

Compared to what?

sprjus4

Quote from: US71 on June 15, 2021, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 15, 2021, 04:15:04 PM

Compared to what?
Don't even waste your time questioning. He's just trolling, he's virtually anti-anything expansion/growth with seemingly no personal experience with the area in question, despite how much it's needed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.