The future of I-894 in Milwaukee?

Started by bugo, August 17, 2017, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I-894 is now duplexed with I-41 in its entirety and much of it is also 'plexed with I-43, not to mention US 41 and US 45. Will it be decommissioned? It does function as a bypass of sorts but with the number being completely redundant, will it continue to exist for long?

TheHighwayMan3561

As far as I know due to local familiarity and the I-94 bypass angle, I-894 is here to stay.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

If 894 was going to be decommissioned I'm sure it would've been done when I-41 was put in place. It does help to have one continuous number over the entire route

LGL56VL

Milwaukee, WY

It's not going away, for the reasons mentioned above.

dvferyance

I have said it before and I will say it again. It's I-41 that is the pointless route through here it just ends at the state line and will likely never be extended south as a sole route because Illinois has no interest in doing so. Everyone still calls it 894 and it's a bypass route. You could say the same thing about I-465 it's duplexed with several routes and I-69 will soon be on it as well. I-41 should end at the zoo interchange as it's the most pointless duplex in country along with the I-29 duplex in KC.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on August 17, 2017, 04:02:28 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. It's I-41 that is the pointless route through here it just ends at the state line and will likely never be extended south as a sole route because Illinois has no interest in doing so. Everyone still calls it 894 and it's a bypass route. You could say the same thing about I-465 it's duplexed with several routes and I-69 will soon be on it as well. I-41 should end at the zoo interchange as it's the most pointless duplex in country along with the I-29 duplex in KC.

What's done is done...

triplemultiplex

I think 894 should be ghosted.  Locals will get used to it just like they got used to every other numbering change in history.  Also US 41 should be ghosted in Wisconsin south of Abrams.  That'll clean up the clutter.
Abrams should be the north end of I-41 and the south end of US 141.

But in a state that seems to enjoy concurrencies, I have no hope of this happening.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 17, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
I think 894 should be ghosted.  Locals will get used to it just like they got used to every other numbering change in history.  Also US 41 should be ghosted in Wisconsin south of Abrams.  That'll clean up the clutter.
Abrams should be the north end of I-41 and the south end of US 141.

But in a state that seems to enjoy concurrencies, I have no hope of this happening.

US 41 only shows up on reassurance mainline signs.  It's ghosted on BGS and interchanges. 

froggie

^ Not all of them.  I've seen a few such guide signs and interchanges in Green Bay that still included US 41.

captkirk_4

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 17, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
I think 894 should be ghosted.

No it should stay, the three digit numbering tells travelers that it is a bypass they should take to avoid going through the downtown.

The Ghostbuster

Ho, ho, hey, hey, Interstate 894 is here to stay! Since 894 wasn't truncated when Interstate 43 was extended to Beloit in the late 1980's, it certainly won't be decommissioned now. Besides, the exits along its entire length still correspond to Interstate 894's mileposts.

Roadsguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 21, 2017, 03:56:41 PM
Ho, ho, hey, hey, Interstate 894 is here to stay! Since 894 wasn't truncated when Interstate 43 was extended to Beloit in the late 1980's, it certainly won't be decommissioned now. Besides, the exits along its entire length still correspond to Interstate 894's mileposts.

Well, when 43 was built, if they had truncated it then, the general bypass route would have two separate numbers (I-43 south then I-894 north). 41 on the other hand completely overlaps with 894, and in the same direction too. They could just as easily direct all the bypass traffic to follow I-41 north.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

21stCenturyRoad

At a glance, one would see the existence of I-894 as unnecessary because 2 primary interstates have been placed on the entirety of the route. However, it's here to stay because it's existence according to the rules of 3-digit interstates, it signifies a bypass of Milwaukee, along with familiarity of the locals.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

GeekJedi

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on August 21, 2017, 04:47:43 PM
At a glance, one would see the existence of I-894 as unnecessary because 2 primary interstates have been placed on the entirety of the route. However, it's here to stay because it's existence according to the rules of 3-digit interstates, it signifies a bypass of Milwaukee, along with familiarity of the locals.

Of course if we followed "rules" we wouldn't have I-99, "intrastate" interstates, or things like that. As far as familiarity with the locals, a road is a road, and Milwaukeeans have seen their share of name changes. (WI-15 and US-141 -> I-43, US-41 -> WI-241, WI-175, I-41 etc.) they'd be fine.

Honestly, the best case I've see as to why 894 lives on is inertia. It's easier to keep it than ditch it.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

The Interstate 894 designation has existed since the get-go of the Interstate system. And like I said yesterday, since it wasn't truncated when Interstate 43 was extended in late 1987, well, you know the rest.

GeekJedi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2017, 03:01:58 PM
The Interstate 894 designation has existed since the get-go of the Interstate system. And like I said yesterday, since it wasn't truncated when Interstate 43 was extended in late 1987, well, you know the rest.

Though it wouldn't have made a ton of sense to truncate it with the addition of 43, since that would have broken the route into two numbers. That's not the case with I-41.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Henry

I-894 certainly has too much history to get rid of now. Despite I-43, and now I-41, sharing parts of its route, it's still an important number for the area, since it bypasses the city, while I-94 goes straight through it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.