News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Smallest Control Cities

Started by Genghixiani, February 26, 2024, 08:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghixiani

(PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD IF IT IS IN THE WRONG PLACE) Alright, so we all know what control cities are. (if you don't, why are you here exactly?) I have been wondering, what are the smallest control cities you have seen? Mine is Lapel with a whopping 2,354 people.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big John

As it has been rehashed many times, Limon CO.

Rothman

How do we measure the population of "Del Water Gap"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on February 26, 2024, 08:26:02 AM
As it has been rehashed many times, Limon CO.

Want to try again?

Hennepin, Illinois for I-180: population 757.  Limon's is over 2,000.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2024, 08:26:59 AM

It's 675 in the 2020 census. Proof that it's referring to the borough and not the water itself:

Quote from: NE2 on November 24, 2016, 02:27:33 PM
25 miles to DWG just west of mile 24.5. The gap itself begins at Columbia (20-21 miles) and the NWR begins at about mile 3 (21-22 miles). The state line is, of course, 24.5 miles away, and it's another half mile to the exit for the borough. Voila, the control city is the borough.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2024, 08:30:42 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2024, 08:26:59 AM

It's 675 in the 2020 census. Proof that it's referring to the borough and not the water itself:

Quote from: NE2 on November 24, 2016, 02:27:33 PM
25 miles to DWG just west of mile 24.5. The gap itself begins at Columbia (20-21 miles) and the NWR begins at about mile 3 (21-22 miles). The state line is, of course, 24.5 miles away, and it's another half mile to the exit for the borough. Voila, the control city is the borough.
So, smaller than Limon.

NWR?  Shouldn't that be NRA?

Dangerous business, taking mileages so literally... :D. I think we have some posts somewhere about how some control cities get shorter and further away depending on the sign...

Meh, I still think it refers to the geographic feature rather than the dinky borough.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Why is everyone only talking about Interstate control cities?  The OP's example is not on an Interstate at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

If we can include control cities along Interstates for exits (if those count as control cities), we can get quite low. For example (though this is likely nowhere near the lowest in Colorado), Starkville (I-25 exit 11) has a population of 62.

kphoger

Exit destinations are not control cities.  If we could count those, then there are actual ghost towns that would qualify.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Does unincorporated Cove Fort, UT even have a defined population?

Mike

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on February 26, 2024, 05:53:46 PM

Mike

Yep. Zero.

GaryV

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 26, 2024, 05:55:14 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 26, 2024, 05:53:46 PM

Mike

Yep. Zero.

So then, same as "Mackinac Bridge".

Scott5114

Oklahoma has a few routes with a control of "End of route", so...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

I'm just going to leave this right here then.

:bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

VortexJamz

At the interchange of I-84 and I-380 in Pennsylvania, Milford, a small town of just over a thousand (1,127) is signed as the eastbound control city. Never made much sense to me, always thought a larger city along I-84 like Hartford would've been a better control city.
I had more fun cruising on the Pennsylvania Turnpike than I did at Disney World.

GaryV

Quote from: VortexJamz on February 29, 2024, 08:54:53 AM
At the interchange of I-84 and I-380 in Pennsylvania, Milford, a small town of just over a thousand (1,127) is signed as the eastbound control city. Never made much sense to me, always thought a larger city along I-84 like Hartford would've been a better control city.

But if you were going NB, you would have already turned east before getting to I-84 to get to Hartford.

Do control cities need to be the same for exits of both directions of the road you are already on?

oscar

For a different kind of "smallest", there's Aiea for Interstate H-201. Four letters, no consonants. (The Hawaiian alphabet has only seven consonants, so vowels get a lot of work out there.)

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on February 29, 2024, 09:48:26 AM
For a different kind of "smallest", there's Aiea for Interstate H-201. Four letters, no consonants. (The Hawaiian alphabet has only seven consonants, so vowels get a lot of work out there.)

Trying to think of other four letter control cities -- Erie, Elko, Reno. Sure I'm missing a few.

For three letters, Tok would be one for I-A2 I suppose.

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 10:38:02 AM
Trying to think of other four letter control cities -- Erie, Elko, Reno. Sure I'm missing a few.

Enid (not a control city for an interstate yet but will be whenever Oklahoma DOT figures out a number for the new interstate)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 11:19:21 AM
not a control city for an interstate

Neither is the OP example.  You're good.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

In Somme (France), D615 has a control city of Y.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 11:50:08 AM

(photo by Jake Bear)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 01:18:23 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 11:50:08 AM

(photo by Jake Bear)

The absence of a diacritic makes Y smaller (shorter) than Å.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

That's not a diacritic. Å and A are entirely different letters in Norwegian (in much the same way that Ñ is a letter and not N with an accent in Spanish).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.