News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana 2014 Roadway Map

Started by tdindy88, August 01, 2013, 09:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

The newest edition of the official Indiana highway map is now out for 2014 and it is now renamed the Indiana Roadway Map. This newest map is part of a collaboration between INDOT and the Indiana Office of Tourism Development (IOTD.) The latter group had created official tourism maps each year alongside with INDOT's map which was released every two years. Now the highway map will be produced by IOTD, with INDOT providing the cartography presumably and it will be released every year. The new map is a blend of those two maps in the past with the main state map looking like it has on INDOT maps for years and the back page feature a more tourist angle with ads for various parts of the state along with a mileage chart and other information. As with the 2011-2012 map city insets are not on the back but a small inset of Indianapolis is on the front. The cover of this new map is a big plus IMO, showcasing the state's hilly scenery in the southern part of the state instead of showing another new highway under construction, it highlights the state's shift on its highway map from a business angle back to a tourist/traveler angle and given who is going to be using these maps it makes a lot of sense. Note that this could fit on the Ohio Valley page too, since the state is divided by two boards.

Here are the links to the map's front page: http://www.in.gov/indot/files/Maps_StateMapFront.pdf and back page: http://www.in.gov/indot/files/Maps_StateMapBack.pdf

Now for some of the changes since the last map:
-Of course, I-69 in Southern Indiana is now marked with exit numbers and distances between interchanges. Section 5 of I-69 is now shown as under construction with the location of the new interchanges at SR 45, SR 445 and SR 37. I-69 north of Indianapolis shows the new exit numbers.
-US 31 bypass around Kokomo is shown as complete, but it is shown in the same stroke as the rest of US 31 (non-freeway,) and it has all the exits shown (but sans exit numbers.) SR 931 now takes over the spot of US 31 in Kokomo. US 31 work from Plymouth to South Bend and in Hamilton County looks the same as before. Goshen city limits in Elkhart County have gotten bigger on this map, the only newest update to a community's size I've seen.
-SR 25 expressway is shown as complete from Lafayette to Logansport with exit at US 421/SR 18/SR 39, although the point where the highway joins US 24 south of Logansport looks a little off with both highways continuing (the new SR 25 and the current US 24) to the east of the SR 29 interchange.
-New I-69 interchange at Union Chapel Road shown along with new SR 49 interchange in Valparaiso. New rest area in DeKalb County shown as well.
-US 40 reroute in Terre Haute shown. Open segment of SR 641 is given freeway symbology.
-First part of the new North Vernon bypass is shown as complete with the eastern part under construction. I'm not familiar as to when this project will be finished.
-New Salem bypass is shown from SR 135 to SR 56.
-New I-265 corridor for Ohio River Bridges project still shown as proposed as opposed to what should probably now be under construction.
-New Harmony Bridge at SR 66 is shown as still be open along with SR 912 in NW Indiana (shown as a continuous freeway as before.)
-And as far as I can tell all highway decommissioning and truncations have been updated (such as SR 334 and SR 238.)

thefro

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 01, 2013, 09:49:38 PM
-First part of the new North Vernon bypass is shown as complete with the eastern part under construction. I'm not familiar as to when this project will be finished.

http://plaindealer-sun.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=27850&SectionID=3&SubSectionID=40&S=1

Current schedule is for the partial North Vernon bypass to be completed in early 2014 and construction of the rest "tenatively" scheduled to start in 2014 and finish in early 2015.

bmeiser

Thanks for the info on the changes.  What does 231 and all the subsequent re-routes/multiplexes (RE this graphic: http://www.jconline.com/assets/PDF/BY18465623.PDF) look like in the Lafayette / W.Lafayette area?

Brandon

And still no insets of cities beyond a tiny one of Indy.  Fuck the ads, I want the insets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on August 02, 2013, 10:08:53 AM
Thanks for the info on the changes.  What does 231 and all the subsequent re-routes/multiplexes (RE this graphic: http://www.jconline.com/assets/PDF/BY18465623.PDF) look like in the Lafayette / W.Lafayette area?

Hopefully it does, they go into effect next month!

tdindy88

Hard to tell with the lack of insets. The US 231 bypass is shown as complete from what I can tell, but it is called black and not red (which indicates U.S. highways.) The route of US 231 through West Lafayette is still shown via a red line but there is no shield, but again that is due to the small space. Likewise, a black line still shows SR 26's route through Lafayette, but there is no SR 26 symbol along that highway in either city. Of course a look at the Lafayette-West Lafayette nonexistant inset would help.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 02, 2013, 04:57:59 PM

Hard to tell with the lack of insets. The US 231 bypass is shown as complete from what I can tell, but it is called black and not red (which indicates U.S. highways.) The route of US 231 through West Lafayette is still shown via a red line but there is no shield, but again that is due to the small space. Likewise, a black line still shows SR 26's route through Lafayette, but there is no SR 26 symbol along that highway in either city. Of course a look at the Lafayette-West Lafayette nonexistant inset would help.

That black color means under construction, and it is supposed to open 3 months before the Kokomo US 31 bypass. So INDOT is inconsistent. The new map also still shows SR 126 and SR 526 - they will be gone when the US 231 bypass is opened.

As of today, SR 26 is discontinuous ending at SR 43 and I-65. I know existing SR 26 between the new bypass and SR 43 will also be turned back. SR 25 is discontinuous ending at US 52 (Sagamore Pkwy) and I-65. It will be interesting if they connect both of these state roads again. Given the tortuous and narrow proposed routes, I hope not.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on August 02, 2013, 09:15:47 PM

That black color means under construction, and it is supposed to open 3 months before the Kokomo US 31 bypass. So INDOT is inconsistent. The new map also still shows SR 126 and SR 526 - they will be gone when the US 231 bypass is opened.

As of today, SR 26 is discontinuous ending at SR 43 and I-65. I know existing SR 26 between the new bypass and SR 43 will also be turned back. SR 25 is discontinuous ending at US 52 (Sagamore Pkwy) and I-65. It will be interesting if they connect both of these state roads again. Given the tortuous and narrow proposed routes, I hope not.

according to the journal and courier they will all be reconnected.  For 26, it will follow the bypass to sr 25 and there 25, 26, and us 52 will follow teal road to the current us 52 highway, then 25 and 26 will follow sr 28 to i-65 which will take each highway to their respective exits.  Horrible idea in my opinion. 

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 03, 2013, 12:05:23 AM
Quote from: mukade on August 02, 2013, 09:15:47 PM

according to the journal and courier they will all be reconnected.  For 26, it will follow the bypass to sr 25 and there 25, 26, and us 52 will follow teal road to the current us 52 highway, then 25 and 26 will follow sr 28 to i-65 which will take each highway to their respective exits.  Horrible idea in my opinion. 

Yes, but that is an old graphic. If it happens as shown, What happens to SR 38? Will it end at I-65?

So my question is really why would make SR 25 and SR 26 discontinuous (fairly recent), then connect them back up? What is shown for SR 25 is precisely its old route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.