News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Yellow Toll Banners in IL

Started by rmsandw, October 01, 2010, 10:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on June 29, 2013, 07:29:37 PM
Any indirectness of using it as a bypass to reach Rockford is also true of Schaumburg. Why would you use I-355 to reach Schaumburg when you can go 294-290? I'd use Aurora, being the control city for I-88 west (and only 2 miles longer than via 294).

I would use 355 to get to Schaumburg if I were coming on I-80 from Tinley Park or Mokena.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sandwalk

The 'I-355 North Rockford' control is a bit strange, but it's not completely off-base.  It is a viable alternative to bypass the city of Chicago if just passing through, instead of using I-90.  However, Schaumburg is probably the best option as the control city.

Coincidentally, when I travel to Ohio to visit family I end up leaving Rockford and traveling down I-39 south to I-88 east to I-355 south to I-80 east. (And vice versa on the return trip).  I usually hit the Indiana border in just under 2 hours.....less traffic, little congestion, higher rates of speed.

I prefer this route to I-90 through the city or I-290/I-294 through the inner-ring suburbs.

paleocon121171

Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
For I-80 and probably every exit, they could have done a generic "Northwest Suburbs" control like on the 88 ramps (NW burbs and Joliet for controls)

Joliet can still be a south control, but I think 'Southwest Suburbs" is being used more often southbound. It's amazing how much the southern portion is being used today compared to when it first opened  :-o

"Southwest Suburbs" is a better control city for the 290-355 interchange south of Biesterfield Road (a.k.a. Exit 7) where I-355 has its northern terminus. It's all encompassing so to speak. "Joliet" makes more sense (for those heading south) at the 55-355 interchange in Bolingbrook.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.